A question about screen resolution and map size.

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1634437077832.png
^ Example map.

So here's my plan: I want to make a game in MZ that has every single map be one fixed "minimum" size, like what I did in my VX Ace game Little Kingdom Adventure. But with MZ, I can control how big that "minimum" size is, thanks to it's built-in resolution controls. Currently, the game is at 1200 x 1008 resolution, and the map tile size is 25 x 21. However, this is a pretty weird resolution, and I pretty much only chose it due to it being a fitting resolution for the 48 x 48 tiles.

However, I'd like to find a resolution that is a bit closer to a "normal" resolution, especially one that would fit well on mobile devices (in landscape orientation of course), yet also fits the tiles evenly so that the screen never has to scroll. Any suggestions on what resolution and map height/width I should use? Remember, for this particular game, it's absolutely vital that the entire screen is visible at all times, without any scrolling... so finding a resolution that works may be pretty hard :p

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this will be tough due to the fact that there are so many different screen sizes on mobile phones.

You're just going to have to pick one that is common, and use it. If 48x48 won't fit evenly, you might have to make your maps smaller, and allow the borders to be black.

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think this will be tough due to the fact that there are so many different screen sizes on mobile phones.

You're just going to have to pick one that is common, and use it. If 48x48 won't fit evenly, you might have to make your maps smaller, and allow the borders to be black.

Black borders on the display screen would be fine, as long as the map doesn't need to scroll. Any idea how I could achieve this?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
doesn't that just happen automatically if your map is too small for the screen size?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game does exactly as u describe, where each map fits w/o scrolling. I use 960x540 resolution, which gives u 20x11 tiles to work w/, tho u will have a 1/8 tile thick black border on the top & bottom. This is cuz 540/48=11.25...but I chose that resolution cuz its exactly half of 1920x1080.

Edit: Another option is 1280x720, which gives u 33% more height & width, or 26.66 tiles wide by 15 tiles high. Of course, that means rounding down to 26 tiles of width, so you'd have black bars on the left/right instead.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've decided to go with 1104x624 on a recommendation by Yanfly in an old thread. Gives you a room size of 23x13 with no scrolling, and is divisible by 48 as well. Seems like it can work well for you too.

TakumaGao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've decided to go with 1104x624 on a recommendation by Yanfly in an old thread. Gives you a room size of 23x13 with no scrolling, and is divisible by 48 as well. Seems like it can work well for you too.

1634518978608.png

Looks pretty good to me! What do you think?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guys, I made a trailer! And, I also launched the Steam page! If you would like to support the game, please Wishlist it :ahappy: ->
working on some tilesets _ノ乙(、ン、)_

CIBl8xT.png

Oq8WKHX.png
aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dolodame