A question for Artists

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Deleted, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Deleted

Deleted The Champion of Uncertainty :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    During my time here on the forum, I have seen many grand pieces of Art, of very good quality. Some of which are featured on my profile page. I would love to get back into drawing, but long passed are the days of pencil and paper. Now everyone seems to use drawing tablets, or that's what i'm assuming. When I draw a picture using pencil and paper and then scan it to my computer it comes out faded and not looking very nice.

So my question is this.

What are the tools that these great artists on the forum use to create there magnificent pieces of Art. Do you use drawing tablets or something else? What programs do they use? Could a Ipad be used in place of a drawing tablet to the same quality of results? And what or where is the cheapest way to acquire all these required tools? 

Thanks for your time. Regards

Kingdanner.

2. Ultim

Ultim Kartoffel. Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    I'm not an artist,but I try.I draw using the good ol' pencil.If you want to have nightmares,I'll send you my drawings by PM.

3. Deleted

First Language:
    English
    @Ultim: Doooo Eeeeet  :popcorn:

4. Ultim

Ultim Kartoffel. Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Okay.Nightmares,Incoming after ? Minutes

5. Fungii

Fungii Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Started with a pencil on lined paper, now I buy sketchbooks from The Pink Pig and use letraset tria markers. That's just for doodling though, I don't think I've ever done a full illustration by hand. Everything that's something I wanna get perfect I do digitally using Paint Tool SAI and a Wacom Bamboo Pen.

6. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey KingDanner, I can make some recommendations.

I'll start with the payed/ what I use- I got a Wacom Bamboo tablet about 5 or 6 years ago for 80 USD that came with Photoshop Elements 6 and Corel Painter, though my corel was corrupted. My photoshop is old, but works really well. I believe a lot of drawing tablets come with a free software in a kind of bundle. Also got a drawing software from steam once as a gift from a friend. It Open Canvas.

As for using a ipad I am not sure since I use an Andriod tablet Nexus 7, but the Sketch Book series is really good. It is possible to use it as a tablet with the app Splash Top and computer software by the same name, its normally used to let people put their computer screens on their tablet. I've tried this and it works, however there is a slight bit of lag making it hard to draw and it is a bit difficult to use. 

Free drawing software, Sai Tool, Gimp, Paint, 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    Imploded Tomato likes this.
  7. Deleted

First Language:
    English
    Aah, so Wacom Bamboo Tablet is the one to go for then. There is one on EBay used for about 30USD.

Many Thanks

8. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Great, If you ever have questions about using it let me know.

But good luck ^-^ and I look forward to seeing your art. 

9. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

You can get pretty decent art with a mouse, too. I used a mouse exclusively for a few years before I got a Wacom tablet, and it still gave decent results. Some things are much faster and easier with a tablet, but the tool you use is much less important than the time you put into practicing. :)

Deleted likes this.
  10. Deleted

First Language:
    English
    I will take you up on that offer animesock as I'm certain I'll have plenty of questions on my quest to become a great artist :)

11. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I use my Wacom tablet and Sketchbook Pro for my digital art, and they haven't let me down yet. For traditional art I prefer to use charcoal (I'm not too picky about paper).

12. Deleted

First Language:
    English
    Wow, everyone seems to use the same Tablet. I guess it's safe to use that one then. :D

Probably buy one next pay-day.

13. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I use the fiery passion that burns in my heart and the power of friendship and love!!

Or... an Intuos5 Large and Paint Tool Sai/Adobe Photoshop CS3. Something like that. (but I started out with a lame no-name one and then a Graphire3 which is basically the Bamboo of the good ol' days)

Really though, what Luna says is the best advice. What tools you use matters little in terms of skill (can matter a lot for convenience and speed mind you), it's all about practice. Draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, and draw some more! Break out that fiery passion I mentioned earlier.

Best of luck! I look forward to your results. (your icon is very cute btw)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    Tuxedo Leila likes this.
  14. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I know you've been trying Danner. Don't give up! Start drawing on anything you can! Pencil and white paper are fine options until you're able to get your tablet. Don't rob the world of your talent!

remember this: It's not the artist's tools that make the artist, it's his SKILLS that make the artist.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014