Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am working on my first real Project in MV, Its a Short Adventure Game with some Survival and Combat elements that takes place in a Forest setting. Since i prefer simplicity and getting it done soon within 2 weeks, I decided to have not more than 5 maps in the entire game which are all 20 x 20. It also has a Day - Night system, With plans to introduce some 3 other Features like maybe Fishing, Gathering and Cooking.

Now here is my question :

What is the Playtime expected of a such a Game as this ? How much Playtime is too Little ? How much Playtime is too much ?

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Minimum playtime should be 30-60 minutes, anything less will not even be able to introduce all features. And if you want some gaming it should be more toward 1 hour minimum.

Now the biggest problem on the other hand is the quota between development time and playing time. As a general guideline for RPGs it's considered that you need 100 hour of developing to create 1 hour of playtime.

If you are experienced and know what you're doing you might be able to get a survival/combat game with half that time for developing. And on the other hand fulltime development (which means no school or other job) is considered 40 hours per week or 168 hours per month.

Do the calculations yourself - and then decide if you can handle that or if you need to recalculate your limits.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd aim for at least 2 hours of playtime for that kind of game, so that players can get into the "flow" long before it's over. No maximum - the only time you have "too much" playtime is if it starts getting boring for the player. Focus on quality over quantity.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My mom is finally coming home tonight! In the meantime, Wishful Wanda is back in production.
SA51K_SHADER_IDLE.gifZombie is not the only thing people turned into in this town. There is also something else here. Something has many different names in history, the plague, the black oil, the purity, the filth. And now, it's called the shade.
(Maybe too much X-File reference. :kaojoy:)
Thanks, google for putting together a random pixel art Olympics game in your logo that puts everything I've ever done to shame in pretty much every aspect. ;)
Chizuru
chizuru.png

anyway, i just recovered from Covid.
Work's been delayed for a month but now i'm back drawing again.
Ah yes i learned how to make name boxes Im now profeshonal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pictureperfect