A quick hello and some yes or no questions

FoxlyBoxly

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, everyone. I hope you are all having a great day. I haven't bought any software yet, but I am heavily considering RPG maker for a passion project of mine. I won't inflate this with too many details, the core of the matter is there are some mechanics that I want to double-check I could actually implement before I buy anything. Some are more important than others. Since this is going to be a lot, I'm only asking for a yes or no, although if there is a workaround or plug-in that could help, that information would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance, and I'm sorry if this isn't the place to be asking this. If it is, let me know and I'll move it to the correct location.

1. Is there a way in implement a basic stealth mechanic? It doesn't need to be too fancy, even a basic line-of-sight would work.
2. Is there a way to use certain skills outside of combat? Specifically, I'm thinking of a pickpocket mechanic with random outcomes outside of combat. I've looked into this a little, but couldn't seem to find a conclusive answer.
3. I'm not sure how to phrase this, but I'll try. Can you create custom "wellness" bars with custom punishments for hitting 0? Specifically, I'm thinking of an energy bar that causes a blackout upon reaching 0. Something similar to a total team wipeout in pokemon, but working along side the usual HP bar, which will kill the character upon reaching 0.

4. This one seems a bit obvious, but can you create monsters that only drain one attribute? Such as SP, or in my case, Energy? I feel like that should be an easy yes, but I couldn't seem to find any answers.

5. Can you set up situations that require a certain amount of money to be earned or paid in order to progress?

6. I know there are plug-ins for day-night cycles, but is there a way to incorporate slotted time, like in Persona 3, 4, and 5, where doing certain things moves time forward and others don't?

7. Is it possible to attach fast travel to an item? This one is pretty vital, as 2-3 of the characters have an item that can create portals to places they have been before (literal fast travel).

8. Is it possible to add an "invisible party member"? The reasoning behind this is lengthy, and it won't kill anything if not. Basically, I want to know if I can have a character gain experience from a battle they weren't in.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi and welcome. I've moved this to General Discussion for the time being, as these sorts of questions really would belong in a Maker specific subforum, but we don't know which maker you are contemplating getting. It would also be easier to answer your questions if we knew which RM you were considering. While the newer makers are more similar, there may be a big difference between say, XP and MZ.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1- yes. Most likely would require a plugin, to various degrees of complexity. But I believe a common event will also work.... we've discussed it in a thread, and it involves some math. I have the thread somewhere, I can look it up.

2- yes. That's a default feature, but programming the outcomes is a bit tricky, especially if it ties to some other system like daylight, or regeneration. Common events, most likely. Plugin, maybe.

3- most likely yes, but it depends on the outcome. If it requires a separate calculation, you'll need a plugin, but I don't know of any. Could be done with a common event, but doing it real-time would cause lag... you'll have to work it out by periodic updates.

4- probably yes, most likely through skill after effects.

5- yes-ish. That's a basic dialogue or quest system, and there are both evented and plugin solutions. Accepting input from the player is possible. Linking it to the system? most likely possible, but I never tested it.

6- yes, and it probably can be done with eventing.

7- yes, most definitely. Depends on the decoration you want: graphics, cutscenes, sound effects and whatnot.

8- yes-ish, with plugins. It requires some modification of the XP allocation, and the main menu.

FoxlyBoxly

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi and welcome. I've moved this to General Discussion for the time being, as these sorts of questions really would belong in a Maker specific subforum, but we don't know which maker you are contemplating getting. It would also be easier to answer your questions if we knew which RM you were considering. While the newer makers are more similar, there may be a big difference between say, XP and MZ.
Thank you, sorry for misplacing the topic.
I am considering RPG Maker MZ, since it's the newest version.

1- yes. Most likely would require a plugin, to various degrees of complexity. But I believe a common event will also work.... we've discussed it in a thread, and it involves some math. I have the thread somewhere, I can look it up.

2- yes. That's a default feature, but programming the outcomes is a bit tricky, especially if it ties to some other system like daylight, or regeneration. Common events, most likely. Plugin, maybe.

3- most likely yes, but it depends on the outcome. If it requires a separate calculation, you'll need a plugin, but I don't know of any. Could be done with a common event, but doing it real-time would cause lag... you'll have to work it out by periodic updates.

4- probably yes, most likely through skill after effects.

5- yes-ish. That's a basic dialogue or quest system, and there are both evented and plugin solutions. Accepting input from the player is possible. Linking it to the system? most likely possible, but I never tested it.

6- yes, and it probably can be done with eventing.

7- yes, most definitely. Depends on the decoration you want: graphics, cutscenes, sound effects and whatnot.

8- yes-ish, with plugins. It requires some modification of the XP allocation, and the main menu.

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your reply, and for giving me an idea of where to look to make these things work.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
8: the party exp doesnt need a plugin.
"EXP for reserve members" is right there on the database system tab.
plugin give more control of the amount the reserves get,
and ability to switch party members whenever (FF10 kinda stuff)

all of those can be done without plugins, just require tricky eventing for a couple of them.
plugins could make some of them much easier though. (stealth mechanics for sure)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Welcome, new face! I think the questions were answered by the firsts. Have fun amongst us.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Valentines Entry, first contest I'm in and it is so much fun to just participate!
Anatomy is really hard. I'm not an artist.
just destroyed hours of work again. i don't know why I bother.
World Map for the inside of my main character's head. Every spot is an area that either occupies his thoughts or staples of everyone's "headspace"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamjjj