A RPG with many possibilities!! (Kill EVERY NPC IN GAME)

TenebrisCrow

The Kelphy Corp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was thinking of starting a game, mostly for myself and a few friends, of course I'd be happy to share it if it ever gets finished!

What I was thinking of doing is rather than focusing on an engaging story of any sort, make the world a sandbox! I know this has been done before, I don't think I'm doing anything new! But a game where you can literally make almost any choice.

For example: You found bandits robbing a man. You could

Kill the bandits save the man [If strong enough]
Kill the bandits, kill the man [If strong enough to kill bandits, then kill the man as well]
Help the bandits kill the man [If you have high enough charisma, to convince the bandits to let you help them]
Intimidate the bandits, and save the man [You need high strength]

You get the general idea! So you could play purest to the point where you could be like batman in a medieval world, without killing a soul (except monsters for leveling) or you could become some psychotic murderer who kills EVERYONE in the entire game!

Rather having one big main story, have many small story's within the game, where your choices completely change your world!

I was thinking of adding [STRENGTH, CHARISMA, INTELLIGENCE, LUCK] you can put 10 points in any of these choices, and every point you put into strength, you get a boost of 5% into damage and HP. I haven't decided the stats for the other choices, but use your imagination. Of course these four options also effect story. You can't intimidate people without strength, you can't help someone make a special potion without intelligence, and so on.. You'll get it if you ever played an RPG before! haha!

Also there will definitely be relationships in it, if you want an easy time getting the girl/boy you will definitely want to puts some points into Charisma! XD

I wouldn't mind some ideas on how I could make everyone killable. My idea was, make sure that I use the character generator, so I can get battlers and NPC's, so EVERY NPC can be fought, but if it were someone.... Weaker let's say haha then it might not be possible to battle them? They just die, because you're clearly stronger than them.
I also think adding a safe switch(maybe pressing shift?), so when you click shift, and talk to an NPC it gives you the option to kill them, mug them, or do other MEAN stuff!(OH THERE WILL BE GUARDS THAT WILL ATTACK LOL)

The real reason why I post this, is not to tell people what I'm doing, I'm more of a doer, than a talker. I really truly want peoples ideas! What would YOU want in this kind of game? Also how would you initiate such a game, if you have some fantastic ideas on how it would simplify designing a game where you could kill all NPC's I'm all ears. It sounds like killing everyone will be my most tiresome job for this game! Since I'll need a switch for every individual NPC!(thank god for self switches lol)

I'm not saying my idea is good, or if it's even an idea at all. I just really would love a game like this for myself and any like minded person!

If you read all this, I can't thank you enough for giving me the time and I can't wait to hear from you! ^_^

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
killing all NPC's would be hard time, like killing the armorer or weapon NPC so you cant buy any better gear.

I would suggest that important peoples(like quest givers) cant never be killed or after the quest is compleet.
but if everyones is dead or some ppl that can unlock some paths/roads you will be stuck forever.

Unless this is only possible AFTER you beat the game and some new options are available like bandits attacks,
Zoo (if implented) getting lose, to kill all animals so the zoo need to be closed or if using stamina and food,
destroy the farm to starve to death because you have no knowledge.

There are some nice idea's in it. But don't over do it but rather think carefully which npc's arent importent or to poor
that noone can miss can be killed and wont noticed. However you approach it is up to you.

empresskiova

Untitled Project1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind had a similar approach, you could kill anyone you want. Killing an essential character would get you a “you doomed the world you twatwaffle”, message that popped up. I still prefer that route over Oblivion and Skyrim’s “invincible peoples” approach.

TenebrisCrow

The Kelphy Corp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
killing all NPC's would be hard time, like killing the armorer or weapon NPC so you cant buy any better gear.

I would suggest that important peoples(like quest givers) cant never be killed or after the quest is compleet.
but if everyones is dead or some ppl that can unlock some paths/roads you will be stuck forever.

Unless this is only possible AFTER you beat the game and some new options are available like bandits attacks,
Zoo (if implented) getting lose, to kill all animals so the zoo need to be closed or if using stamina and food,
destroy the farm to starve to death because you have no knowledge.

There are some nice idea's in it. But don't over do it but rather think carefully which npc's arent importent or to poor
that noone can miss can be killed and wont noticed. However you approach it is up to you.

My thoughts were to have no essential NPC's, I truly ideally want it to be possible to kill everyone! It might sound like the focus of the game, but killing everyone is an option for the player. Killing everyone would be more an end game thing to do anyway.

The guards are going to be MUCH stronger than you early game, so if you decided to play the killer route from the start, you probably wouldn't get far before you got slaughtered. (You will start off as strong as a normal human)

You can still play as evil, even join the most evil team(There will be factions of course), but playing Genocide would have to come to you once you gained enough strength. So maybe once you collected all the gear you needed?

But a safety net does sound smart, I'll have to think on that. I was thinking possibly the shop keeper drops a book, that allows you to learn the spell, so you can always trade with them after death, like. "Spiritual Trading".

Thanks for the help! :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Game Mechancis Design is not for getting feedback on an individual project, but is meant to be looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level, and so applicable to many games.

[move]Game Ideas and Prototypes[/move]

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rotdawn