RMMV A Sanitäter Simulator!

Germelshausen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not the title of the project by any means.

*Minor Correction: It was the Krankenträger who provided first aid and retrieval of the wounded on the battlefield, not the Sanitäter.

I've been toying with the idea of creating a heavily story-driven game whereas the player assumes the role of a Krankenträger, Emil Linden, during the latter stages of the Battle of the Selle and the Battle of the Sambre (1918), both conducted during the "Hundred Days Offensive" which saw the German army collapsing at a rapid pace. The plot revolves around Mr. Linden's struggle to provide as much comfort and care as he feasibly can despite the overwhelming shortages of medical supplies and the rapidly approaching Allied offensives. He must also acknowledge the fact that his little brother, only 15 years old, was conscripted into the army despite his prayers that it would never happen.

The role of the player is to find and provide immediate care to the wounded either trapped between the lines or left behind by their retreating comrades. Medical supplies are virtually non-existent and require the player to scavenge what they can or improvise from available materials (eg. lace or tablecloth can be made into impromptu dressings, ethanol or salt as an antiseptic, splints made from broken rifle stocks/ spades, etc.). Some of the troops you stumble across may be willing to barter for supplies or materials if you've got what they want. Otherwise some benevolent souls will be glad to offer help depending on the circumstances or your choice of words.

Searching and tending to the wounded is not without its dangers. Artillery fire and rolling gas clouds are as much a danger to you as anyone else. There is also the prospect of friendly-fire or being mistakenly targeted by Allied marksmen. Booby-traps and landmines left in the wake of your retreating comrades now pose a danger to anyone unlucky enough to stumble into them.

My intent is to wrap these threats up into a form of puzzle to be solved. For example: Say you found a note talking about a soldier's stash of alcohol in a smashed farmhouse. Between you and the alcohol is an open field littered with landmines. The note proves hints how to bypass them. Or perhaps you're crossing a town and need to avoid enemy detection by hiding behind cover at opportune times. Little tasks like that.

I've already been working on some WWI resource sprite sheets (made to fit the "Looseleaf" sprite style) so it shouldn't be too difficult adapting those into the project and stretching out the basic plotline. Still need to draw up some of the equipment (ie. Pickelhaube, Stahlhelm, medical Tornister, webbing, etc.).
New canvas.png
The plot is set extensively in 1918 with some brief flashback segments to earlier in the war before Mr. Linden became a Krankenträger. I've already researched the differences between what a Sanitäter and a Krankenträger would have carried. Putting it all into practice will be difficult, however.

Does this spark any interest at all? Any suggestions or concerns?

Last edited:

Germelshausen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whoops, minor correction. It was the Krankenträger (medical orderly/ stretcher bearer) who was responsible for the frontline soldiers, typically his Kompanie, and retrieval of the wounded in the field. The Sanitäter would not, albeit with some very few exceptions, be seen on the frontlines.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't believe nobody's commented on this yet! It's an awesome idea, and your little soldier sprites look adorable enough to eat! :biggrin: Also, more games should totally embrace the idea of helping the wounded instead of making the wounded!

Germelshausen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't believe nobody's commented on this yet! It's an awesome idea, and your little soldier sprites look adorable enough to eat! :biggrin: Also, more games should totally embrace the idea of helping the wounded instead of making the wounded!
Thanks! If there's interest, I'd be glad to share the sprite sheets with the forum once I can get around to finishing the last of the environmental and character assets. Far from the best sprite work out there, but it's a start.
Seconded! Supportive roles always seem to offer a broader range of playstyles.

VCraft

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Other
It definitely sparks interest! Your idea is very unique and WWI theme/story by default is interesting for lots of people, including me.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Fun fact: Digimon is an isekai :kaoswt2:
The problem with being a perfectionist is that you are never done with something.
Our Lore Wizard, Buttercup, just emailed me a draft of one of our in-game lore books, and it's one of my favorites so far. Her books are really bringing a vibrant history to Evergloom!

I've posted it under a spoiler tag called 'A study in 43rd Century Poetry' in our development thread!
Whoops, the corner of my map is as big as GALV's whole demo map xD
wops.PNG
A little more of the CMS. #rm2k #DestinyPatch
QUhhNBK.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirako