A script that can allow you to skip the actor selection menu for skills only?

ShinyRedUmbreon

Wannabe-Animator + Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To summarize, my game will have more than one party member. However, only one of them is going to have skills that can be used outside of battle. As a result, I want to skip the window where it has you select which actor's skills to view, and go straight to the first actor's skills(I also disabled the Formation command, wanting the line-up to stay the same). I figure it's going to require a script, and doing a bit of Google searching has given me two threads that might have the answer I'm looking for. However, they don't exactly give what I'm looking for, mainly because the first one(This One) gives me code for skipping the equip actor selection instead of the skill actor selection(I won't be having equipment in the game if that somehow helps), and the second one(This One), while doing exactly what I want also skips the status actor selection(and presumably the equip actor selection), which I don't want. I've tried tinkering with these code but due to having almost no experience with coding do not know how to make it work for my wantings. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, it will need a script - but that script has to work in a different way than you describe.

a skill absolutely requires an actor to be used, simply because it needs a skill user's data and parameter for the damage formula.

so what the script has to do is not skipping actor selection, but to set all skill uses to use the same actor data without choice from the player.

It's probably easier to do this (especially if it should only be done for skills, not for other options) by editing the base scripts of Ace, but I don't know enough of that to point you in the correct direction.
But it would just have to change the function where the skill screen calls for an actor to always return the same actor #1.

EDIT:
the difference to the script you mentioned is that that script went into the function for selection and made it to always return the same actor - that is why it worked that way for evry menu.
what you need is instead a modification that the skill screen doesn't call that function at all but sets the answer in place of that function, without rewriting it.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ruby:
class Scene_Menu < Scene_MenuBase
  alias :tlb_create_command_window :create_command_window
  def create_command_window
    tlb_create_command_window
    @command_window.set_handler(:skill,     method(:command_skill))
  end

def command_skill
    SceneManager.call(Scene_Skill)
  end
end

class Scene_Skill < Scene_ItemBase
  alias :tlb_start :start
  def start
    tlb_start
    @actor = $game_actors[1]
  end

def next_actor
  end

def prev_actor
  end
end

Add that as a new script above Materials. Change the [1] to the ID of whichever actor you need.

ShinyRedUmbreon

Wannabe-Animator + Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Long story short, Trihan's script did exactly what I wanted, meaning my issue is fixed. Thank you for solving the issue Trihan, and thank you Andar for trying to guide me in the right direction too!

ShinyRedUmbreon

Wannabe-Animator + Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, uhh... 13 days later(it's not Necroposting right? It would only be bad if I responded 30 days later) and I've actually come across a problem with the script. While selecting the skill option, it sends me to the first actor's skill menu. That works just fine. However, I have a status menu option that lets me pick whose status I want to view. This works perfectly as well. However, if I select and go to a different actor's status menu, and then go back and then press the skills option again, it sends it to that different actor's skill menu instead of the first actor's skill menu like intended.

For example, say I have two actors, Eric and Natalie. The script lets me go into Eric's skills as intended. But if I select and view Natalie's status menu, and then exit out and click Skills again, it shows Natalie's skills instead.

I'm using a certain menu script(specifically this) that changes the layout, though I am sure this is not what's causing the problem. I have a feeling it's because the game remembers which Actor you last viewed their equipment/skill/status menu, and when calling one of those menus uses the last Actor used as reference, so I'm not sure how to fix this so it wouldn't apply to the skills menu.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

doodled a poring today :kaoluv:
uc
Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.
I realized a while ago my game was toooo big in scope. even now I wonder am I trying to do too much by myself. and that's after completely changing the format of the game.
Last week at SLC. Cali awaits. TBH I love SLC more than SF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OverlordStatic