_Soysauce_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everybody,

Since this is JS Plugin Requests, I'm first gonna get straight to the point, and then explain the whole backstory behind:

I'm wondering if it exists, or how hard would it be to implement, a plugin that would automatically do an old, regular "show text" right before all the "show text" used in the game - thus, the game automatically shows the same dialogue box everytime prior to opening any other dialogue box.

It probably sounds awfully stupid and technically-inclined people might find it heresy, but here's my full story:

I'm quite ahead in the development of a game, and thanks to quite a lot of experience with Rpg Maker Maker I've been able to overcome any obstacles I found so far, on the technical side. I'm kinda hyped at the possibility that this could become quite a decent game, but I still have one awful bug that's plaguing the game and I need to get rid off.

It seems that something in VE_SFont is going awry - it sometimes skips the first letter of a dialogue box.
It's probably not VE_SFont (along with VE_BasicModule, of course) per se, as I'm also using other plugins to go fullscreen, zoom in, change the fontsize etc... - but a bit of testing showed that when VE_SFont is turned off, all's fine and dandy. That said, I really like what VE_SFont is doing to the game, and I do want to keep it in.

At first it happened after some intense picture sequences, where pictures would show one after another. I assumed it was just fatigue by RPGMMV. I then decided to, more or less, go full band-aid on it: I've put a #\^\ in a dialogue box right before.

That made the game type a " # " (which is empty space in the picture font I use for VE_SFont) and immediately close the (invisible background) dialogue box. Since I'm also using PlayMsgWndCharSE by Sasuke Kannazuki to play a sound effect for different characters when a letter appears, and I don't want the player to hear a faint "tic" out of nowhere, I'm now using this as a message box: \SE[0]#\^\SE[1] (set the sound to zero, shows an invisible letter, closes it again and sets the sound to regular).
This appears prior to the message box, letting that invisible letter being the one that dies off due to the bug. The following message box is then showed as it's supposed to.

As the development proceeded, though, it started to appear at very random times. I tried to pin-point the causes, but I can't. I'm pretty positive RPGMMV is just messing with me, skipping a single letter from time to time because it's a bit stresses. Teleporting to another map also seem to flush the cache or something, as it seems to help preventing this problem.

Still, I never ever have encountered this missing word letter more than once per dialogue box. If I can't fix the causes, I'm willing to simply put a single message box prior to any event - it wastes less than half a second and I'm hopeful it will kill this bug for once. I'm looking for a way, thanks to a plugin, to set it automatically so -again, hopefully- it never shows up again.

Sorry for the long explanation. I don't have any expertise regarding java, plugins and RPGMMV handling of it, so I can't say if what I need is extremely simple or just downright impossible for some reason.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it happens randomly and you have no idea what's causing it, how do you know putting a single message box before each message will fix it? Be a shame for someone to put in all that work and find out it makes no difference.

I personally think it would be better to figure out what's causing the issue and fixing it. Please post a link to the plugin and show us all the other plugins you're using.

(btw, MV uses Javascript, not Java - two very different languages)

_Soysauce_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it happens randomly and you have no idea what's causing it, how do you know putting a single message box before each message will fix it? Be a shame for someone to put in all that work and find out it makes no difference.

I personally think it would be better to figure out what's causing the issue and fixing it. Please post a link to the plugin and show us all the other plugins you're using.

(btw, MV uses Javascript, not Java - two very different languages)
The reason I'm hoping a plugin like this would work is because manually putting a single message box seem to work.
It's like if the first, bugged letter gets eaten by that and then resumes showing the following dialogue box no prob.

I'm aware it sounds like a stupid solution, but since it seems to perfectly work manually I'd like to see it done automatically.
I tried to find the exact source of the problem, but as I'm not fluent in Javascript I doubt I'll ever manage to.

That said, I'm not aware how hard would it be to write such a plugin - I'm hoping is quite simple, but if it's just impossible or crazy hard I understand people not putting the time over it.

I'm attaching a pic of all the plugins currently in the project, good idea.

Edit: Also I just realized, you're THE Shaz? That's cool, I've seen you and your scripts for what feels like forever now. Thanks for your work over the years, man.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That'd be me (but I'm not a man ;)) ... thanks - now my workmates will have to deal with my big head for the rest of the day :D

Can you try to put those VE plugins into a brand new project and see if the problem also happens there?

_Soysauce_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That'd be me (but I'm not a man ;)) ... thanks - now my workmates will have to deal with my big head for the rest of the day :D

Can you try to put those VE plugins into a brand new project and see if the problem also happens there?
I tried creating a new project and tested with VE plugins and ALL of the plugins I'm currently using, but as I suspected it's not bugging.
It didn't use to bug in my project too, it started after a while and it got worse the more I went on in the development - that's why I'm assuming is related to RPGMMV being somewhat stressed (and I'm grateful this is all that's happening - just the first letter from the dialogue box from time to time).

I tried turning off VE_SFonts in my project and never seen once the glitch occurring, so I'm guessing the fact that it goes to check and load a picture to type the letters might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I'd love to get this fixed without such an awkard solution as I first proposed, but unless someone wants to take a closer look at the project itself, I'm guessing a cheap solution is ok - as long as it's not too time-consuming to code.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it were related to RMMV being somewhat stressed, I'd expect a lot more people would be having the issue.

How many fonts are you using? Are they being preloaded (if not, I suggest trying that)? Are you changing fonts between message boxes?

Can you please give a link to the plugin?

_Soysauce_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it were related to RMMV being somewhat stressed, I'd expect a lot more people would be having the issue.

How many fonts are you using? Are they being preloaded (if not, I suggest trying that)? Are you changing fonts between message boxes?

Can you please give a link to the plugin?
I'm using just one picture font for the project, and I don't know much about it being preloaded, as everything is handled by the plugin (it's just a single picture inside a "sfonts" folder). Fonts never changes, it's pretty straightforward.

Here's the link to the plugin, I'm using the latest version, 1.5:
https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mv/sfont/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I started to paint again after it didn't fit my female character. (I really intend to draw women)

I was more focused on female characters than men.

Score Rundown for the demo I'm trying to get done before Halloween, Or around it. Ending is based on your score currently.
Oh goooood, why am putting so many skills into my game AAAAAAAAAAAA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeoLightningProductions