A simple project's progress... (Newbie Questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am like two years old of RPG Maker series, I had VX Ace and MV (currently using) but didn't do good at progress until Yanfly's comic advices show up.

So I am making some good progress so far on this project I am trying to work on.
Just except those ones below that I am about to ask for some understanding about RPG Maker MV's stuffs. Sure, some or all may be already answered but I had trouble to choose the right keywords to search through search-engine, so... please forgive me for this. Also, please bear with me. I am really a quick-learner, so as soon as all of those below get answered properly (and correctly), I would able to remember them clearly afterward, promise! And also any question in future will be much less "newbie", for sure!
  1. "Effects" in Skills section (Database) are for whose? Actors only? Enemies only? Or it depends on the Scope target which all effects will affect on that target? Just want to ask because one or few skills I am about to make may require both targets; bad ones to enemies while good ones to allies (status ailments, of course).
  2. When new party member joining by "Change Party Member" in event, what of Level? I mean, if player played too long while in a game, let's say Lv40, should this new party member's level be equaled to highest level or average level of whole party or lowest or even Lv1 to start with?
  3. In Skills section, there is something in Invocation; "Repeat". Does this allow the skill attack the exact same target once again with the same skill, instead "Two Random Enemies"? If so, would TP Gain (in Invocation, not Effects one) increase again as well? Would that even cost more MP than just one-time MP cost?
  4. In same section (Skills), can I use the enemy string in the message? Such as this; "(user name) challenges (targeted enemy name)!" by "Challenge" skill... Is this the one; b.name?
  5. By the way, for any ranged weapons, how do I do this? I mean, one with ranged weapon / attack in rear row can even dealt a full damage against enemy instead halved while enemies used a non-ranged physical skill would have to be halved AND for magical damage, it does dealt fully as if the row means nothing to affect. Sure I could check around but just want to make sure if I do have done correctly as you guys do. And sure Yanfly's plugin may be used too if I have to... Still asking for how-to though.
  6. Never have done this before. In fact, I have NEVER touched the Save thing since I bought either versions... Would any changes from game-maker, after played and saved a file, corrupt that file or it will get updated?
  7. Is there a way to empty TP at end of each battle? (After checking) Never mind, I found it... but do I have to make this parallel event and copy-paste this event on ALL each maps? Can't just one event do this whole job?
  8. Why does Character Generator only have ONE (or two if you do count empty one?) option of all in the list on Kid section? Why are we not allowed to have a kid BOY? (Okay, this is not the "problem" question, haha)
  9. What does this "Select Item" in Create-event Message actually do???
  10. How can I make the followers stand in "T-form" positions during event scene? Pretty much like Final Fantasy I if you guys have played this before.
  11. Probably the last one but pretty sure it would be a little off-topic - Why are all DLCs together so expensive?!
Wow, didn't expect how many problems I had dealted for two years! =O

Last edited:

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. It depends on the scope. To do both, you should use the damage formula box, which is literally just a javascript executor. Here's a link that a mod gave me: http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/36290-damage-formulas-101-mv-edition/
  2. You could set that actor's initial level under "Actor" in the database. You could also use the "Change level..." event command, under "Actor" in the event commands.
  3. Okay, so from my testing it first takes away some MP (or TP, if you have TP cost > 0). Next, it finds its target. Let's have our sample skill have 2 random enemies as its scope. So it picks ONE random enemy, and then plays the animation on it twice, (that twice is where the repeat is) and then chooses another enemy and plays the animation on IT twice. Once it plays the animations, it will 1) do the damage 2) do the effects (so if you have a stat buff or debuff, that will essentially have double effect) and 3) it will do your TP gain. So you will receive twice the TP that you entered. Also keep in mind that if the enemy will die, it only plays the animation, does the damage, effects, etc. once. So in that case, you would not receive double TP.
  4. I... don't think so. I do know, however, that you can use the text effects listed when you hover over the text box in the "Show Text..." event command. You might be able to do something with that.
  5. Ranged weapon? Can't say I know what you're talking about there, sorry.
  6. This question is a little, uh... Oddly worded? I can't quite make out what you're asking here, sorry again.
  7. This is just my opinion, but I think it is always good to have a parallel process event in every map, even if it's not really doing anything. Also good to have an autorun event in each map, even if it just erases itself immediately. (Any autorun event should erase itself or change a self switch, etc. whenever it's done doing whatever it needs to do, but, you probably already knew that.)
  8. Kid section? Whaaaat??? That must be in the new update, which I haven't installed.
  9. That must also be in the new update, because I have no clue what you're talking about here, sorry.
  10. I don't know exactly what you mean, as I have never played a Final Fantasy game, but you can turn player followers off and have some events to take their places. Then you can just move those events around as you please.
  11. Probably because people will still buy them? I don't know, I don't work for Kadokawa. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There you go! I answered them all as best I could. And it took me so long that I wouldn't be surprised if when I refreshed this page somebody else had replied, but oh well.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, I had curious why my thread had been ignored while replied someone else's new newbie thread after this. =O
Yes, I did "stalked" my own and everyone's, =P

Anyway... First of all, thank you for your reply! Second, sorry that my English is not my strong thing (my first language should be showed on my profile (and below my avatar of my posts like right here)). I had tried my best to explain (which is another thing that I am not good at).
  1. Oh yeah, I had been there before... but for some-but-most STRANGEST reason, I had tried it on one of abilities from "Bravely Default" (3DS game) and the bug / glitch is to cause the affected hero SKIPPED own turn... INSTEAD the state I added for that skill have NOTHING affect badly. In other word, that hero SHOULD able to move and attack with own DEF reduced... Let me repeat, even though I can't line-break in middle of numbered list... This skill I am trying to clone into my RMMV; "Stomp - Deal damage 1.25 times that of a conventional attack. However, your physical defense and magic defense will decrease by 25% for two turns. The lower limit for P.Def and M.Def is 75%." which was nearly successful... except the two-turns duration part where that hero skipped those turns, nothing say "you can't attack for two turns", even NONE on "Restriction". Probably one or few plugins get this bugged... but still, very strange bug / glitch and Yanfly didn't check to fix it anyway. =( I had read so careful and it still never does that right... I wrote like this, "a.addState(## Stomp-ID for lower DEF / MDEF); damage-formula here". =(
  2. Sounds hard way but better than "impossible to do". =P Thanks! And in this case, I am pretty sure there is a string command to call the variable for each hero's level to input into variables and use them to add then divide for an average level? Or there is not any way to change initial level during ingame? =O
  3. Oh okay, thank you! I think I get what you mean. So, in that case, how do you make a two-hit skill do hit twice on SAME enemy when coming to multiple enemies to battle if Repeat is not the good answer?
  4. I tried hover like the usual, it just say like this... "Fixed pharse displayed as a message when using the skill in battle.". No codes showed.
  5. Ranged Weapons are like... Bow & Arrows, Boomerangs, Guns... Where you in rear row (require plugin for this) attack physically without a ranged weapon (by using "Attack" or any physical skill) will halve your physical damage dealt to the enemy (halve again on their rear row as "original damage / 4")... but with a ranged weapon equipped, you can actually dealt a FULL damage to just any enemy in any row, no penalty to reduce your physical damage... only the penalty in this case is the enemy try attack you in rear row (as long as they don't use ranged skills, haha).
  6. What I really mean about "Save" (you know, save your game? not the "save your PROJECT", haha) is like... would any adding / changing stuffs in the project after saved the game affect all saved files be corrupted? Like, you just got a "Steel Sword" weapon-item and saved it then you do either adjust Steel Sword's ATK stats or remove Steel Sword itself as if it's useless before you re-run this game, will Loading that play-game file continue able to play or will it be corrupted due to mismatched datas over changed / removed Steel Sword and force you re-play the whole over from the start?
  7. Yeah, I thought so. Worth to ask, haha. And I am pretty sure parallel is good way to use, actually if you are preventing anybody get heroes any single point of MP / TP even using item to restore either outside of battle. =P
  8. Haha, I was surprised too but at same time, I was disappointed that there is only one combination-parts kid character... just a little girl. (and yes, you can use her in battle too, haha. xD )
  9. Nope, it's actually the default version. You should have overlooked it... You know where the usual "Show Text" button is, yeah? Look few buttons down there, =P
  10. Thought so... That's what I did on my other but big project (had to put it on hold)... but it took a while to make it go right (correct, not "direction" term). =/ But if there is no easy way, then guess the hard way is the only way to do that. Thanks though. =)
  11. Haha. =P

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This website has a watching threads feature so you'll get a notification whenever somebody posts on one of your watched threads.

Don't worry, my first language is "Don't communicate at all with other people." (I'm an introvert)
  1. It must be one of your plugins or something. I THINK the default stat debuff decreases by 25%... The description in the engine is so poorly worded.
  2. You can always use a script. That's basically the answer to everything. Just one thing though... I can't script. I couldn't script to save my life.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  3. There's not really a good way to do this, but I think you can use a common event with the "Force action..." event command. However I haven't tested it so I don't know if it would work. Of course you'd need a switch or something to make it not keep using that skill over and over and over again.
  4. I tested it and it is basically a "Show text..." window. =P
  5. Ah, plugin. I barely use plugins, so I can't help you with that, sorry.
  6. I believe the engine tries to be as convenient about this as possible. Most edits will not do much to your already existing save files. When you load from a save file, it essentially plays from the beginning, but moves you to where you saved from, gives you all the equipment (with the changes) that you saved with, adjusts all the switches and variables that had been changed, etc. etc. Of course it doesn't actually do all of this, but it's generally what the end result is like. If you remove the steel sword that your actor has, it would 1) if you didn't add another weapon as that ID, it will just have you not have a weapon. (I think, haven't tested it) 2) If you did add another weapon as that ID, it will give you that weapon instead.
  7. Uh... Am I reading this right? Are you saying that you don't want MP/TP restoration outside of battle? Uh. Gameplay issues* aside, you can just set the occasion for skills and items to battle screen, that way you can't even use them outside of battle. *TP I can understand, but MP? Are you sure you want to not have MP restoration outside of battle? Oh, well. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, I just can't think of a situation in which it would be practical. =P
  8. I, uh, still don't know of any "kid" thing... Is it in the new update? (Which I haven't installed)
  9. Uh, well, I did overlook it. I also don't know how it works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  10. It's technically (in my opinion) best to also have an event that is the party leader too, and make the player transparent. Also, sorry, but I can't help but find your clarification about the "right" funny. Context is key. I hope I didn't offend you. :)
  11. Whee, I just put this list item here for... consistency? I don't know.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that I know but I feel like this thread have been readied but ignored because new newbie thread AFTER this got replied up to 9 replies and here had been zero before you finally replied, so... yeah. But it does not matter anyway.

Haha, alright. =)

1 - That's one of my suspects, to be honest... and trust me, I know how to use that as DEF * 75% and MDEF * 75% (or is it really 25%?) traits of "Stomp" with Auto-removal Timing - "Turn End" and Duration in Turns 2~2 as exactly two-turns duration. Just only the issue is once debuffed on attacking hero, he skipped the turns instead able to continue act as if this debuff means nothing to him (silence on non-magic physical warrior). But I will re-run test that issue again in future once I feel like.
2 - Funny, that's same thing - I can't do script too. =P
3 - Ugh... guess it would be some problem... Hope Yanfly's plugin already got covered this issue. =X
4 - So... it actually works? =O If so, then how do you call enemy's name in battle? Is it really this; "b.name"? or what?
5 - Aww... I really need to know how to make a ranged weapon properly without screw it up by make full physical damage taken on hero for a mistake. Dx Anybody who uses Yanfly's "Row Formation" plugin and already made any ranged weapon can help me? Pretty please? =D
6 - Oh I see... kinda half it may affect... but at least I don't have to restart over the whole game, =D would totally hate that if it does, Dx
7 - HAHA! Oh no, that's just an example!! Haha! Actually, TP is just the thing that I want to empty them off which force players do refill TP in each battle, instead to carry over.
8 - Sorry. Yes, it's updated version. Had looked on my first use and Kid was not there until I updated few times later which Kid then got added.
9 - Haha, alright.
10 - Oh, that joke was more like... you could think I want the followers stand on the "right" of first-actor member (first from top four in party) only if you "mistook" this 'right' as a 'correct' term.
"Right" - Hero1 Hero2 Hero3 Hero4
"Correct" - Hero2 Hero1 Hero3
__________________Hero4

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It usually helps more if you place one topic for each questions instead of long lists of questions, and wait a bit for an answer (generally the rules say you need to wait 72 hours before you can bump).

The kid generator content is a paid DLC currently only available through the steam season pass, but will be available independently later. When that DLC was made, an update gave a single content option as a freeby to all, but to get the other contents you'll need to purchase them (although some community addons are starting to appear for it)

The select item function gives the player a list of items in his inventory and the ID of the selected item gets stored in the variable. After that you can do with that info whatever you want, usually checking if the correct item was selected by conditional branch Variable = ?

The skill messages cannot contain target name unless you install a plugin to rewrite them

The usual way to handle followers in cutscenes is to disable followers and use events to pretend they are party members - events can be moved anywhere, but followers are fixed to the caterpillar position.

DLC is actually cheap around here - you need to remember how much work it is to create art. An artist usually needs several months of work to create a single DLC pack. And if you check art sites around the net, you'll see that comparable artwork is usually more expensive than what you pay for RM-DLC.
You can't see it yet, but we have a classified section for paid commissions, and there the usual price for a single 3x4 sprite of complete custom work is >10$.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am pretty sure I didn't bump any or otherwise there would be double post... which would be another offense of the rules, haha.
But yeah, I was just waiting for most answers I really want to hear instead to be stuck for life. =( Like, how to do the ranged weapon. I mean, I should know this about now but I have to make sure if I get it right or not.

Others than that, thank you for those remaining answers. Yeah, I kinda figured out of those answers. Like I said, worth to ask.

Well, cheap or not, I am already near broke, so... I am pretty sure I can't afford some. And where is the non-steam DLC packs, by the way? I usually buy stuffs through Amazon, including VX Ace and MV.

And I guess I should try make a new thread like you suggested since I can't find a solution / answer to the ranged weapon (Google often mistook me to VX Ace (yes, EVEN "RPG Maker MV" in the search box) which I had looked many common answers - VX Ace is so different to write script / coding in MV) and hope someone have an answer for me. To be honest, I was trying to avoid many bad comments from admins and mods... like that "bump" part, haha. But really, I didn't plan to bump this even I want. =O Or otherwise I should have posted another one before someone (in this case, "Nutty171") posted.
Regardless, you may close this anytime and I will open a new one with only one question this time. =)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was just info about our rules, if you had broken any of them you would have gotten a blue text message (which are macros by the way, we don't type them in detail).

There is no direct answer to "range", because by default the battlesystem has no range or row or anything like that. You need to add a plugin to get that option, and then it depends on how the plugin works. There are several existing plugins that might simulate what you want, or you have to request a new plugin for that in the plugin requests.

And the main shop is linked on this forum at the very top behind the "products" link, clicking there will get you to Degica's shop.

Additionally, if you want a topic closed as it is solved, please simply report it as such (button at the bottom of the posts) - that is the fastest way as we can't read every topic everytime for such wishes.
[closed]IgnoreMe[/closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .
My new RPG Maker music pack, Emotional: Redemption, is now in progress and will be coming to RPG Maker soon. It is an album that focuses on emotional themes including the darker forms of sorrow and despair. Below is a demo of a composition from the album.

Please watch out for your hands when handling chests! XD Did this a few days ago, it was fun to animate

Apparently, it's illegal to be drunk on licensed premises: pubs, etc. It's illegal for keepers of public houses to permit drunkenness and disorderly conduct. lol.
Pillow Hero - A 16-bit arcade styled puzzle game, update 0.5 is live now on Itch.io! --> https://bifrost09.itch.io/pillow-hero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sfafsr4326