Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know about the official tutorial set, but there are additional tutorials in the blog that are not linked in the support/tutorial area, including some on how to make a game.

And if you ask specific question on what you need help with, you always get answers on the forum.

But as I said in the beginning of this tutorial, you can't expect to learn how to use the program in a few hours, it's simply too powerfull to allow that.

Jernau Gurgeh

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a brilliant overview guide - not just to RPG Maker but to interactive media development in general - and one that I wish I had read a week ago!

It should be pinned, but I do feel it could benefit from some tidying up to the formatting. There are lots of new paragraphs without a gap between them that makes it a bit more difficult to read. Also, some sections have sub-headings but these are written in the same styling as the body text.

Finally, and I'm sorry to be a punctuation fascist, but there really shouldn't be an apostrophe in the word beginners in the first line heading!

Last edited by a moderator:

BardicHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just wanted to add my "thank you" for this intro guide.  I got VX Lite a few months ago and worked my way thru making a simple tutorial game that turned out okay (I had a lot of trouble balancing the final encounters).  Today I got the ful VX Ace finally and will be starting a new project soon.  Reading over this helped me with a few things I didn't know.  I'm still reading as many tutorials as I can find, but it can be a little overwhelming (there's a lot of info out there).  One thing I'm still feeling particularly confused about is using Common Scripts.  Since that was disabled in the Lite version I've not had any chance to practice with those.  Any pointers or links to good intro tutorials would be hugely appreciated.

FlamyFire

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
I just want to really thank you for this start tutorial. Although I feel overwhelmed and scared of how difficult and complicated it was to make RPG games. I have so much to learn.

LootHunter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Great post for beginners. Though this is somewhat confusing:

if you're in doubt, better prepare everything in the way for a commercial release - if that is too much additional work and cost, you'll know why you'll decide to go free later...

The first question you have to ask yourself is: "Is this my first game project?"
If the answer is yes, then scrap any idea of going commercial
So, should I start making commercial project or no?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, should I start making commercial project or no?
Perhaps this can help to clear up confusion:
If you see a realistic chance of your project becoming commercial, then you should prepare everything as if it will become commercial.

However, no matter what you think - if this is your first game project, then there is absolutely no chance of it getting commercial, because you're simply lacking the experience needed to even see the problems and work that takes.

That is why that second sentence is there - sometimes new developers (new as in "having no project completed") make the assumption that they know the work neccessary to complete and sell a game, and that is wrong.

So, if this is your first game project, then there is no chance of it becoming successfully commercial, no matter what you believe. If you have completed a game (even somewhere else), then you might consider preparing for commercial release.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, if this is your first game project, then there is no chance of it becoming successfully commercial, no matter what you believe. If you have completed a game (even somewhere else), then you might consider preparing for commercial release.
What Andar should say is there is a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of it going commerical and being successful. There's *always* a chance it could work out for you, but it is so minute it should be considered 0 for practical purposes.

Though, for the record, I'm on my 7th game project (I completed 6 in middle school/high school, though 3 were modules for Unlimited Adventures), and the third restart of my current project. So the odds are very high that  you will have to scrap your first project and start over, either by rebooting the current project, or by starting a new one.

LootHunter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Ok. Got that. Only one question - what is the difference, between making free and commercial game? I mean from development point of view. I understand that if you go commercial, than you should begin some sort of marketing and PR campaign, which is not necessary for free project. But what about making the game itself? What is done differently?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main difference is the licence of the materials used.

A lot of material around here is free for non-commercial use, but if you want to use it in a commercial game, you need to check what is required for a commercial licence.

And that needs organisation of the resources, keeping track what you have to do for which part of what sprite, tileset or sound.

Sometimes you have to pay for the extended licence, some artists only want a copy of the commercial game, some want a link and a reference and so on.

And even the definition of "commercial" differs from one person to another - there are a few out there where even a donation button on a site with a free game is considers as turning that game to a commercial case, while others don't care and so on.

zeello

newbie to RPG making
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just downloaded both of the sample games but neither of them work.

Chrysalis says "RPGVXAce RTP is required to run this game."

Knight Blade says "RGSS102E.dll could not be found."

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just downloaded both of the sample games but neither of them work.

Chrysalis says "RPGVXAce RTP is required to run this game."

Knight Blade says "RGSS102E.dll could not be found."
If you have not installed the trial or full versions, you need to download the RTP and install it separately from the links at the top of the pages.

zeello

newbie to RPG making
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you have not installed the trial or full versions, you need to download the RTP and install it separately from the links at the top of the pages.
I have the trial version of VX Ace downloaded from Steam, so I think Chrysalis ought to work. Maybe I extracted the game to the wrong folder or something?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To all: I've just updated, partially rewritten and added to this tutorial. Everyone is welcome to check it again.

@Zeello: That should not make a difference, but Steam handles the data differently than the standalone. Just test it by installing the regular RTP in addition to Steam.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Gratz on the rewrite! Very clear and as always, helpful.

/me looks down in her sig spoiler at the support bar she carries for this topic all the time

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
RM95, RM2K, RM2K3: Older PC RPG Makers that have no legal English versions (only pirated translations) and are not supported by Degica or on these boards
You might want to update that, RM2K3 is now legal, so it could be confusing to RM Beginners.

Great Tutorial though! If only I saw this when I started with RM :p

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just to clarify- which link has the official sample games?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first link under point 2 - also available if you simply go to "download" on the top right of the forum page and select sample games

daylight5

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I really liked Crysalis. I wish it were a little longer, but I trust the authors choice. I tried to play Knight Blade but I get I'm missing rgss103e. Darn. I was wanting to play more. lol. Well, Good going on crysalis and if anyone knows where to get rgss103e, take few minutes to reply. good day everyone!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try installing the XP trial and see if that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to create a diagonal sprite, by following through GrandmaDeb's tutorial here.
(Basically, cutting up and resizing parts from the down and left version of the sprite.) :LZScheeze:

I've been reworking some old sketches, there's definitely a change on the artwork :kaopride:

Drawing a character who fight with his dog in battle is an interesting yet difficult affair. :D
Trying to get my good habits back again after this year... I need to go back to the gym, but Brazil is still in a bad situation of Covid-19, so I will try to work out at home! :D
I need to become a better battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPG_Girl