A starting point for new users (V1.2)

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am on part 4 of the Make your own game tutorial and I have hit a snag. I am at the part where it has me making a guy running a shop and it wants me to have him sell an herb, herb powder, life gem, and cure gem, But they are not default options for RPG Maker VX ACE, the tutorial doesn't show me how to make these items either so that is out of the question as well. I would like advice on what to do next so I can continue the tutorial.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@animalia555
I do not know what part of which tutorial you're talking about, but items are created and added on the item tab in the database.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@animalia555 Those items are purely for illustration. You can pick any item you like out of the default list. The point of the tutorial at this stage is to help you to see how to set up a shop, it isn't to teach you how to create items in the database, that comes at a different stage.

So just select a few items that seem sensible to you and carry on.

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there any way to download to tutorial pdfs in case my internet goes offline and I want to refer to them?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The official basic tutorials are pdfs, start there. They're linked first in my lists.

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tried to recreate the dungeon in Tutorial 5 exactly but I couldn't make it fit in the small grid size they said to use.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@animalia555
I don't know every tutorial here, but if it didn't fit then either you started wrong, overlooked a sentence telling you to increase size or the tutorial is wrong there.
In all cases the solution is to increase the map size.

There are several mistakes in several of the tutorials, those who write them are only human.
And one of the most important lessons in developing anything is to learn to look for solutions instead of shutting down on the first thing that doesn't work as intended.
So the mistakes in the tutorials are good things...

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@animalia555
I don't know every tutorial here, but if it didn't fit then either you started wrong, overlooked a sentence telling you to increase size or the tutorial is wrong there.
In all cases the solution is to increase the map size.

There are several mistakes in several of the tutorials, those who write them are only human.
And one of the most important lessons in developing anything is to learn to look for solutions instead of shutting down on the first thing that doesn't work as intended.
So the mistakes in the tutorials are good things...
So in other words don't take the tutorials literally?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would say rather: follow them and where the result doesn't fit what you expect, you take this as a valuable opportunity to learn to start bug-hunting. Throw assumptions out of the window. Do not assume that you are wrong, do not assume the tutorial is wrong. Go through and check each stage, maybe redo that section of the tutorial from scratch to see if the same thing happens again. Analyse what is going on so as to learn to identify incongruities which might be the cause of the issue.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I tried to recreate the dungeon in Tutorial 5 exactly but I couldn't make it fit in the small grid size they said to use.

I'll try it. too. I agree that you should persevere and it is great to work things like that out.

Plus, let's find the bug if there is one, just for fun.

@animalia555 I don't know what you mean about the size they said to use. Make sure you make your map the same size as the pictures. You can see from the pictures it is all do-able. =]

Give it another shot, eh?

Last edited:

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They said to use 40x30 for the Fire Cave. My Fire cave has a width of 40 and a height of 30 but it isn't nearly wide enough to reate the dungeon in the exact shape they use. I can try to upload my file if that will help

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I checked that tutorial, the map IS wider than 40 tiles and you need to increase the size exactly as I said above.

And as I said above (and grandmadeb explained as well) one of the most important parts of learning how to develop a game is to learn how to analyse where an error comes from.
I simply counted the tiles in the screenshot of the map.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I am brand spanking new (Literally just a handful of days into learning). I just wanted to say that it is awesome that you have put so much time into helping the community, including us noobs. Thank you very much for this awesome post.

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I need help again. I am on tutorial 6. I have gotten to the part where it says to play test but I haven't figured out HOW to play test the game. I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a play command in the menu and a play button in the top icon area near the left side

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok I tried playteesting and I can't make it so that the bridge in my mountain village can be walked over. If I upload the file can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
how do you have the bridge setup?

If you are using just a bridge piece in the middle of the mountain ledges then it will not work because of passage settings.
pass.PNG
As you can see here, in the tileset configuration (select passage) you can see which ways the character can move.
This is necessary as otherwise the character could move anywhere without restrictions.

You can overcome this in two ways.
1. the simple use more bridge tiles
bridge crossing.PNG
Here you can see extra bridge pieces placed in front of the character.

2. copy the sheet with the bridge pieces from the rtp folder, put it in the tileset folder for your project (use a different name) and use photoshop or gimp to edit it.
tiles.PNG
you can see here that i copied the bridge tiles and cut off what is not needed. getting the result you saw in the last picture at the top.

does this help?

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am not sure that's why I need to show you. I think it's set up correctly. But I still get trouble

animalia555

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am not sure. I think I did it right. But I can't get it to work. I even tried playing around with things. But nothing works. Its a bridge over a river by the way

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Update... no scam calls all day. I think they learned their lesson. And I'm working on a fake anti-piracy video, featuring a fan game I'm making in MV. If I had the permission to make the game a licensed game that I could sell (rather than having it totally free like fan games are required to be), I'd use a really cool anti-piracy screen...
People2_1 added! ( with alternative hairstyle )

Hey there fellow makers!

just looking for an excuse to post this, really... :kaoslp:

"Hey, John, it's time for October, which means Pumpkin Spice in EVERYTHING!"

"NOOO, please, no more Pumpkin Spice!!"
Found this cool software for organizing my game making work. :LZSrasp: (and it's free!)
https://comigo.itch.io/cosmic-everyday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giunillo