A total newbie

RepentantSky

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I have an idea for a game that I think RPG Maker is perfect for, but admittedly, I don't know a lot about the series. I once started making a game with my PlayStation 1 version back in the day, but haven't really touched it since. So, what I would like to know, is what's the best RPG Maker to use for someone with pretty much no experience in development, and what script(s) do I need to download to use the RPG Maker to it's fullest?

I have a lot to learn, as I don't know what certain terms are like the ones you can pick when you register to join, and I'm not sure where the best starting point is for making a game. Obviously, I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head, but I don't want to get ahead of myself, and give up on my project before it really ever gets started. So, if anyone is willing, and assuming I'm in the right place, some basic information on what to do in game development, and which RPG Maker to use would be greatly appreciated.

pickledylans

lov the cronch
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
honestly, it really depends on what you want out of it, but i recommend MV or 2K if youre planning a realllyyy retro looking game and you like its battle system for your project

as far as scripts and plugins go, it entirely depends on what your game needs. putting in plugins that you dont really have a use for is just gonna make your life harder and your game weirdly bloated in the long run

the best starting point for making a game is to first learn the basics on how to use RPG maker, if you decide to go with MV, i recommend this tutorial. you want to be fairly comfortable with RPGM before you start a real project, or else every little step is gonna be super hard. i recommend just experimenting with the program with some throw away characters for a couple weeks, maybe make a small game (like an hr or less).

after that, you wanna start drawing up concepts for your game. what are the characters? is it plot heavy? what mechanics do you want? start writing down ideas and planning vaguely how your game will go from beginning to end. DO NOT make a bunch of polished content for a game you dont know the beginning or end of, or else youll end up trashing it when things change and be super sad.

hope that helps! feel free to ask more specific questions

RepentantSky

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
honestly, it really depends on what you want out of it, but i recommend MV or 2K if youre planning a realllyyy retro looking game and you like its battle system for your project

as far as scripts and plugins go, it entirely depends on what your game needs. putting in plugins that you dont really have a use for is just gonna make your life harder and your game weirdly bloated in the long run

the best starting point for making a game is to first learn the basics on how to use RPG maker, if you decide to go with MV, i recommend this tutorial. you want to be fairly comfortable with RPGM before you start a real project, or else every little step is gonna be super hard. i recommend just experimenting with the program with some throw away characters for a couple weeks, maybe make a small game (like an hr or less).

after that, you wanna start drawing up concepts for your game. what are the characters? is it plot heavy? what mechanics do you want? start writing down ideas and planning vaguely how your game will go from beginning to end. DO NOT make a bunch of polished content for a game you dont know the beginning or end of, or else youll end up trashing it when things change and be super sad.

hope that helps! feel free to ask more specific questions
I guess one of the first things I'd like to ask is, is it harder to make battles with front or side view sprites, because a lot of my favorite RPG's use front view, and so I'd like to do the same, but perhaps, as you said, I should experiment, the best thing to do is try both and see what I prefer right?

Another big thing I'd want to ask, is which RPG Maker has the best tools for making music. I really don't know how to compose a song, and would have to rely entirely on the tools in the RPGM itself for that.

pickledylans

lov the cronch
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess one of the first things I'd like to ask is, is it harder to make battles with front or side view sprites, because a lot of my favorite RPG's use front view, and so I'd like to do the same, but perhaps, as you said, I should experiment, the best thing to do is try both and see what I prefer right?

Another big thing I'd want to ask, is which RPG Maker has the best tools for making music. I really don't know how to compose a song, and would have to rely entirely on the tools in the RPGM itself for that.
side view requires more images/animation, so id say its harder in that sense. but otherwise theyre both about the same programming wise to my understanding

RPGmaker has a couple free songs that come with every program, but if im being blunt a lot of them arent that good or at least a lot of people are tired of hearing them. i believe you can tweak sound slightly? (like changing the pitch) but thats it, its not made to make or edit sound in it. Theres a lot of cheap and open source music out there in the world you can use though, id recommend looking into it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For info on tools for writing music, have a look at the 'Useful Development Tools' section; there's a lot of advice there. Though if you've not got much experience, you might want to reserve your time and energy for the things you have to do, rather than the things you might like to do. There is a huge range of free music in 'General Resources' that you can use.

As you are new, I strongly urge you to have a look at Andar's compilation of info for new users. Among many extremely useful things, there are links to 2 playable tutorials, one on the Events Menu commands, and one on switches and variables. These are the bedrock of any game, and you need to have a firm grasp of them. Being interactive tutorials, they are a great way to learn. There is the added bonus that for the events tutorial you can open it up in the MV editor and see how everything was done, another aid to learning. (Both can be opened in the VX Ace editor, but you're not thinking of getting that one.) Spending a bit of time on this now will save you a lot of time and frustration in the future.

There are also several threads in this section dealing with starting a game, constructing the opening of your story etc., and I suggest you browse them as they have a lot of sound advice.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
the best RPG Maker to use for someone with pretty much no experience in development
If you're completely new, MV is likely the best option. However, you did say a preference for front view battles and if you like retro, I'd echo getting 2k. However, all rpg makers default to front view battles.
what script(s) do I need to download
For your first projects, don't worry about scripts or plugins. You want to get to know the system and any limitations it has before looking for what it can't do. But not to worry, there is a lot out there to help once you get to that stage.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
First of all, welcome! I can't wait to see what you make!

To answer your question, my personal favorite is XP, but if you're looking for super retro style right out of the package, then 2k is your best bet.

There are a plethora of free to use music sites online. A mean a ton if you search google. You shouldn't be wanting badly for music unless you like a custom OST. By which I suggest picking up a free DAW and VSTs and start messing around with it. Good luck and hope to play games by you someday!

Raths Rants

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Make sure to download the free trials available. Most of the tutorials I have encountered are designed to work with the free trial.

I would highly recommend starting with MV, as it is the current engine. Choosing the current engine will help ensure support should the need arise.

Whatever engine you pick, own it. Work with the base engine. Try to get a solid grasp of it before you dive down the deep dark rabbit hole of plugins and scripts. They're great and often make things easier, but having a solid understanding of how things work will help you in the long run.

Take the time to read the support forums here on the official site for the engine you choose. This helped me get around the initial learning curve.

And of course, have fun with it.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is currently the latest version, but MZ should be coming out within the next few months, so you could wait for that. In the end, all the RPG Makers are effective for making a good game in them, even RM2K. User creativity, knowledge and skill are far bigger factors than the engine itself. Though using the newer versions has the advantage of having more active communities, making it easier to get help and find plugins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhengdddddd