A Tribute to Terry Pratchett; Discworld Sprites

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX/Ace Resources' started by SamHain, Mar 20, 2015.

1. SamHain

SamHain The Pumpkin Song Member

First Language:
    English
    In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...

See...

Great A'Tuin the turtle comes, swimming slowly through the interstellar gulf, hydrogen frost on his ponderous limbs, his huge and ancient shell pocked with meteor craters. Through sea-sized eyes that are crusted with rheum and asteroid dust He stares fixedly at the Destination.

In a brain bigger than a city, with geological slowness, He thinks only of the Weight.

Most of the weight is of course accounted for by Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon and Jerakeen, the four giant elephants upon whose broad and startanned shoulders the disc of the World rests, garlanded by the long waterfall at its vast circumference and domed by the baby-blue vault of Heaven.
     ​
    -Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic​
     ​
     ​
    AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.​
     ​
    Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.​
     ​
    The End​
     ​
    -Terry Pratchett's twitter; last three tweets.​
     ​

On March 12, 2015, the Roundworld lost a great writer.  More than a great writer, he was a great story teller.  While these may seem one in the same, they aren't.  One can write well, with perfect grammar and spelling, and still tell a story as interesting as watching paint dry.  On the other hand, a teller of fine stories could very well have the penmanship of an agitated chicken with a typewriter.  That Sir Terry Pratchett was both was quite a thing indeed.

He is gone. 

But his legacy remains.

I have decided to honor the memory of Sir Terry Pratchett by creating sprite sheets of major characters in the Discworld series.  Since I quite like VX/Ace, they will be in the chibi format.

Characters I intend to make sprites for:

1. Rincewind
    2. Twoflower
    3. The Luggage
    4. Cohen the Barbarian
    5. Death
    6. The Death of Rats
    7. Granny Weatherwax
    8. Havelock Vetinari
    9. Sam Vimes
    10. Detritus
    11. Tiffany Aching
    12. Rob Anybody / Nac Mac Feegles

Characters I ended up making sprites for: (will be updated as sprites are made)

[​IMG]

The Luggage

edited from the RMXP Mimic

Credits: Enterbrain, Sam Hain

(Now with more proper leg movements)

[​IMG]

Rincewind the Wizzard

edited from various Ace RTP sprites

[​IMG]

Moist von Lipwig

editted from various RTP sprites

More to come

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't mean to burst your bubble at all or rain on the parade, just to let you know in case it helps any: someone already made a bunch of the Discworld characters into XP sprites. If nothing else you can skip those if you're going for "them existing" (rather than doing them yourself, if that's the case please ignore me).

(It's below, under Books) http://untamed.wild-refuge.net/rmxpresources.php?characters

imascribble likes this.
  3. SamHain

First Language:
    English
    I'll still be doing my own.  Sir Pratchett was a pretty big influence in my life, and I feel the need to reflect that now that he has gone.  This is being done in tribute rather than making simply for the making.  Besides, those are XP sprites.  I'm making VX chibi ones.  (and truth to tell, though it may be bias, I like the look of my Luggage a bit more).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is really cool.

I'd like to see some of the Watch. Carrot and Vimes especially.

5. SamHain

First Language:
    English
    Fixed the Luggage.  The legs move more like legs when it animates now instead of the weird flashy glitchy thing it did.

6. SamHain

First Language:
    English
    Added Rincewind.

7. Luminous Warrior

Luminous Warrior Knight in Battle Scarred Armour Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're not doing Moist von Lipwig? I'm a little disappointed. I was only recently introduced to Terry Pratchett's work by Raising Steam, and I loved Going Postal, plan on reading Making Money soon, and am terribly disappointed that Raising Taxes will never be released now (of course, not as disappointed as I am sad about Terry Pratchett's death). When I saw this I was hoping to obtain a Moist von Lipwig sprite so that I could have him make a cameo in my game. But alas, I suppose I will just have to wait.

8. SamHain

First Language:
    English
    I may do him.  While I enjoyed the Moist stories, I felt at the time I was putting the list together that his sprite would be a little on the generic side (gold suits, pants, and winged hat).  This doesn't mean, however, that I'm opposed to making a Moist von Lipwig sprite, just that he didn't occur to me at the time.

9. Luminous Warrior

Luminous Warrior Knight in Battle Scarred Armour Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I suppose that being completely generic is one of his defining features.

10. SamHain

First Language:
    English
    Added Moist.