A use for Strength beyond physical attack power.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It seems like the typical stats could have a use or two. Even defense could be a natural protection against ailments. As simple as the strength attribute may sound, all it can really do in the end is provide for physical damage. I wonder what other ways it can be used.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you're talking outside-of-battle type of stuff, strength could be used for being able to push/pull objects, open locked doors, or pass Intimidate checks.

If you're talking in-battle stuff, it could also be used as physical defense (if you don't want a separate DEF stat) or as an offensive stat to determine the success of physical statuses such as Knockdown or Deep Wound.

However, for in-battle stuff... I've always been a fan of designing around one stat = one purpose. Having a relationship as simple as "more Strength = you deal more damage" makes it very clear when the player is choosing between (for example) equipment with higher Strength vs. higher Agility. This clarity allows the player to shunt his characters toward specific battle styles more easily, without worrying about what are the unintended side effects of choosing one stat over another - and it also makes it easier for you as the designer to balance stats and equipment.

For this reason, I've streamlined the pool of stats that characters/enemies can have down to 3:
  • Power determines how effective your actions are (double power means double damage, but also double the effect of buffs you cast, etc.)
  • Vigor determines how much damage you can take before being KO'ed (double power = double Max HP)
  • Speed determines how often you can act (double speed means your turn comes up almost twice as much in my CTB system)
I'm thinking of adding back in a fourth stat for characters that determines Max MP (currently it's directly correlated to a character's Level), but you can see how clear the relationship between choosing a stat and aiming for a particular style becomes when each stat focuses on a single purpose, and each "purpose" (such as standing up to hits) is determined by a single stat (instead of multiple stats, such as HP + DEF + MDF).

Last edited:

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BloodletterQ In battle. If you want to think outside the box or do something weird, remember that each stat has its advantages and so if you infuse two stats then that will create "other ways" strength can be used. I.e. A character with a healing skill that heals based on Strength + Magic Defense. (Let's say Magic Defense is the stat you usually heal alone with healing skills).

You can also switch different stats out and reverse things fully. I.e. A character where their strength is the amount healed with a healing skill.

Just make sure if you do make some skills like this they can be used as whacky out of the box type of skills, but the player would benefit from knowing somehow what does what without it being confusing for them. (In some cases it might make more sense to do this. If a Warrior class has super low Magic Defense and that is there stat for healing, adding Strength to it might make sense, as it might be pretty weak otherwise but then be careful not to OP it either.

Saying that, a weak healing skill for the Warrior might make perfect sense depending on the balance.)

Also remember, if you set a rule in place in the game, it's usually a good idea to make that rule clear to the players. If you later break the rule, making that clear to the players is then usually a good idea too.)

If you meant outside battles, then yeah like @Wavelength is saying you can use strength to decide if you can push or break or pull out certain objects / events.

You can also create other types of limitations.
I.e #1 If you mean with equipment, then it's similar to above. Perhaps you need a certain strength to wear certain equipment? To me I think that would also require carefully balanced and monitored but yes that's another way it can be of use.
I.e. #2 If you use Skill Learn system, perhaps you need certain Strength to learn certain skills.

Their many other limitations you can put in place, these are just two examples.

An idea you might like, perhaps there are arenas setup in the game (or even just one) and you need a certain level of strength to have 1 vs 1 fights with opponents, you can turn that to 4 vs 4 if you'd prefer.

Those are some of the simplest ideas I can think of, they aren't necessarily good and can get messy but if handled well they aren't necessarily bad either. Depends on what happens in the game, and the direction the game goes.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My current plan for stats, cutting out defense in its entirety.

Strength: 1x Physical damage. 1/2 physical defense resisted.
Mind: 1x Magic damage. 1/2 magic damage resisted.
Spirit: 1x status resistance. 1/2x debuff rate.
Acuity: 1x Range damage. 1/2x crit rate.
Deftness: 1x hit rate. 1/2x evade rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on Zelda-like tileset. Should be greatly refined. And tonight extra pave tiles, outward corners, abyss and water...
Is it possible to move posts from the in-progress project forum to completed games? I think I need to message a mod but a bit worried about bothering them
Bleeding Moons has its release date: September 3rd!
Do you stick with the RM default, or set a custom one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz