A way to make RMXP encryption hide the save file as well?

Discussion in 'RGSS Script Requests' started by jonathan4210, Jan 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jonathan4210

jonathan4210 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When you make an encrypted archive of your game with RMXP, it hides your data and graphics. Is there a way to hide your save file as well? I want to prevent players from copying and pasting their save files.

2. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No, you cannot put the save file in the archive, because the save file does not exist until after the player plays the game.

Zeriab likes this.
  3. jonathan4210

First Language:
    English
    I see. Well is there a way to stop players from copying their save files at all?

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Why would you want to prevent them from doing that? By doing this you revoke the ability of the player to back up their save game, so if they have a system wipe they have to start your game all over. That is going to tick off a TON of players.

I know I have many games that I've deserted when I lost the save file as I forgot to back it up. A game not letting me do that is an instant no play for me.

5. jonathan4210

First Language:
    English
    Well you see, cause I have a minigame in my game that you can spin a wheel and earn prizes (like a gamble). I even added an auto save script so that players can't cheat by restarting the game after getting no prize. But, they can simply copy their save and paste it back in the folder when they lose a lot.

6. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Truthfully, every PC game since the PC was invented has that problem, and what most of them have done to get around it is save the random number generator seed, so that even if you load your save game you will get the exact same result (Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 are two that I know of that do this...load a game, do the exact same thing you will get the exact same result).

I wonder if you could so that in RPGMaker though, save the random number generator seed. Maybe one of our more experienced scripters could say more?

Otherwise, you may have to just endure it if someone does copy/paste the save games. If someone is that determined to break the game there is almost nothing you can do.

Tsukihime likes this.
  7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    tbh, if a player wants to go to the trouble of exiting their game, finding the save files, copying over a backup they made, then playing again, I'd let them. Who are you to take away their choice to do something in their own OS? Would you also stop them replaying the game from the start if they didn't like the prize they got?

8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes.

9. cloakedranger

cloakedranger Snail Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    If you can't figure out how to use a seed for it (or if someone doesn't come along and help with it), you could always try calculating the stuff in advance. I'm reminded of the Fire Emblem game I used to own, where it saves a temporary autosave in the battles... so theoretically you could reload if one of your characters dies, and get a different outcome. But nope... you reload, only to find the exact same thing happen. Also, I think this is why a lot of older RPGs used save points (travelling from your last save point, all the way to where this mini-game might be is usually too frustrating to deal with). Just some thoughts.

10. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are loosing Gameplay Fun with this too random Minigame +anti cheat engine stuff.

How about making the Win Chance Random, but with every time you play

some Value counts up(random1or2) every time he loose, and if it reaches 6? your player win(or he gets the item he needs to win for some quest, thatway he gets it cheap and quick if hes lucky, or he has to gamble a little, but it would never happen that he never gets that item).

But the player never sees this value, its just to keep the player from loosing always.

11. cloakedranger

cloakedranger Snail Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Another thought could be something like how the old Dragon Quest(Warrior) games did stat gains: each level was random, but if a character consistently got good stats (like if you kept reloading to get them), they'd eventually reach a "cap" and start getting crap. Similarly, if they only get crap for a few levels, they'd have a higher chance of getting good gains. Not sure if I'm explaining this all that well xD But basically... you could still make it random, without players getting screwed by bad luck.

12. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I played a game that did that. What they did was they rerolled your HP for level up every time you leveled up. So, if your HP was between 1 - 12 HP per level, and you were advancing to level 10, it would roll the die 10 times, and the sum was lower than your current HP, you gained 1 hp. Else, that became your new HP. So, sure, you could reload and game it the first few times, but then eventually the odds would be against you and you would get a lot of 1 HP level ups.

Maybe you could use something like that? Have it roll at the beginning how many spins to win first prize, second, third, so on, and if the player already has that prize and the new roll is lower than where they should be, they lose. It would require you to keep track of which prize number they were on *and* how many times they have played in a variable to pull that off.

Now, someone could still manipulate this for the first or second prize in the system, but it gets really hard after that for it to work out in their favor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  13. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Tsukihime says that is a possible, however I don't see it as necessary. You don't necessarily have to attached the random number generating to the start of the gambling event. If you randomize a number and save that variable for the whole game, the result from the gamble would be predetermined (though the player, of course, wouldn't know) so no amount of reloading would change it. Then you attached the random number generating to after the gamble so the next attempt would also be predetermined after you take the first one.

Sure if people want to start the whole thing over all of them except for first attempt will still be random, unless you do that with like 10 variables and have them reset as they are used, people would have a hard time catching to that.

There is also the option of an autosave after the "spin" (or better, before the player sees what/if they won), though you would definitely need to warn the player about that.

Tsukihime likes this.
  14. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So you suggest fix the first spin based on a random roll that is saved to the save file, then let the 2nd onwards be random? That might work too. My idea would also require re-writing how you determine your random numbers in the game, so that would be tough.

15. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, you could also save multiple variables that wouldn't be randomized 'till after use and use switches to cycle through them. So you would use variable 1 and randomize it afterward, flip a switch and next time it would use variable 2 and so on, at a certain point it would cycle back to variable 1 which was set a specific amount of tries ago, creating the illusion that you can't mess with it or at least making it not worth the trouble for the player.

Would be simple to event, would just be a bunch of copy/paste pages of the original event.

I do like Bex's idea of making the chance of a positive outcome increase upon failure. All you would do is add a number to a variable upon failure, subtract upon success, then add (assuming high numbers are positive results) that number to randomized variable. Just need to balance it to make sure it isn't too easy.

16. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    It certainly is fun playing with predetermining the events from a seed generated very early.

Regardless I will still suggest not to bother with implementing it. The autosave is fine. It's not an online game or anything like that, instead allow the players to cheese the system if they want.

*hugs*

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  17. jonathan4210

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your suggestions, but some of you are right. I think I'll just leave it the way it is. It's the player's decision to cheat or not.