A way to use gifs for skill animations

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by bigboi567, Jun 9, 2019.

1. bigboi567

bigboi567 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong place. I'm being a bit lazy after wasting hours trying to make an animation.

So here I am trying to make an animation with the default ones but I'm terrible at placing each sprite and trying to make the animation flow smoothly so I try and download some custom ones only to realize that they are just images and that I need to piece them together myself to make the animation which I'm not great at doing.

And then I looked at a gif I liked and realised, 'what if I just take a slice of each frame and instead of repositioning the sprite, just keep it where it is. Then I can just centre all the sprites in the animator and it will look like a smooth animation'.

So I downloaded the gif, deleted every second frame to reduce the number of frames, converted it into an animated png file and I then turned the animated png into a sprite sheet. Each sprite should be 192x192 pixels. You can only have 20 rows and 5 columns max. You can use 2 sprite sheets giving you a max of 200 individual sprites. Once you have your sprite sheets, place the first sprite in the first frame, last sprite in the last frame and tween.

I used this website to do all of the above. https://ezgif.com/

You should be able to use this with animated files other than gifs.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A way to use gifs for skill animations? Great! :smile: Now we just need a modern RPG where the party joker attacks with the power of memes. :guffaw: Srsly tho...sounds cool! B):rock-right:

4. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Be aware that most random GIFs found online are the copyright of the artist who created them. If they're not explicitly stated to be for public domain or royalty-free usage, they're not yours to do what you want with. If you find a nice GIF of a fire animation and there's nothing to state whether you can or can't use it, err on the side of caution or you could end up on the wrong side of art theft.

bigboi567, xaev and mathmaster74 like this.