About the FES DLC doors...

Discussion in 'KADOKAWA Resource Packs' started by Parallax Panda, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Yeah, the doors. I must ask what's going on there? I know the DLC pack is a mess in general, it can be forgiven to some extent since there is so much value in the resources provided, but... there doesn't seem to be any animated doors?

Unlike the lack of animated waterfalls, I know the doors exist. I own the 3DS game as well as the previous DS and DS+ packs. But this time around we only got graphics for shut doors and closed doors, or am I'm missing something? Or... Did the staff who prepared the resource pack miss something?

Also, I might as well ask why so many of the resources are duplicated on the tile sheets, with one version being pushed just a few pixels upwards. This is true for both doors and windows by the way. Is it to make it compatible with some strange wall tile I haven't noticed? Because, it's a terrible waste of real estate in a tile sheet and the reasonable thing would be to just adjust the odd wall instead.

In any case, thanks for reading.

Bonus question to other users/owners of the FES DLC pack. How have YOU solved the issue with the doors in your game?

2. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As i complained on Steam page, many of those DLC are just premade resource gathered together and scale up to MV format without any editing so...

3. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Isabella Ava
    I'm well aware of that. Many tiles of the FES DLC simply doesn't work in MV unless you do some heavy editing yourself. The tables are a good example of that. But unless my memory fails me the source of those resources, the 3DS game called "RPG maker FES" actually has animated doors.

And then the reason for them not being included in this pack is either a deliberate choice to exclude them because, well, I dunno. It would be really strange and I can't come up with any good arguments for doing so. But it could also be that the DLC was put together very quickly and sloppy (obviously it was) and they just missed them... among other things. Like sorting animated objects such as chests and switches into the character folder, and not leaving them mixed in with the tilesets.

In the first case complaining probably won't do any good. But in the other case pointing it out might at the very least prevent it from happening to the same degree in the future, hopefully. Also I'm not holding my breath or anything but a best case scenario would of course be an update to the FES DLC where we got the animated doors (and maybe some of the other stuff which wasn't included too). Icons for example.

Oh well, this topic was created to voice my frustration mostly. But I'm also curious as to why there's no (animated) doors and what other people have done to compensate for this in their games.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Isabella Ava likes this.
  4. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Parallax Panda you can double scale the DS/DS+ doors and see if it fits? In the meantime I'll try asking

Parallax Panda likes this.
  5. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Archeia
    Thank you, that’s more than I was hoping for. :kaojoy: I hope someone listens.

I’ll edit the DS/DS+ doors myself in the future if needed, but they don’t scale well so it would take some time and effort. So I’ll hold off for a while just in case you manage to get through to the right person and we do get an update in the future. It’s not like my game would be out for a while anyway...

Best of luck!

6. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    They should be able to! Just blow them up by 200% The door sizes were untouched from the original.

7. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Archeia
    I'm pretty sure that the doors are not exactly the same. At the very least the DS/DS+ doors are just one tile while the FES DLC doors are closer to 1 and ½ tiles in height. It's late over where I live so I'll look into it and get back to you with specifics later though.

However, there's another issue (unrelated to the doors) that I just stumbled over and wanted to point out.
    Take a look at the tile sheet named "fes_inside_A4". As you can see in the print screen I've included the leaves of the tree tiles is not perfectly scaled and there's a lot of "half-pixels", something that wouldn't have happened if the tiles were just scaled x2 without any interpolation.
    [​IMG]

The issue with the "half-pixels" can be seen in the cliff tiles on the same tile sheets as well... and maybe in other places too? I don't have time to look though everything right now but I wouldn't rule it out.

While I'm still hoping for animated doors, a fix for these broken pixels would be pretty neat too (didn't know where else to report it but here).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Parallax Panda I am aware of all of FES's issues and have reported them already a while back to KADOKAWA when decided to work on it instead. So sadly I don't think we can help you there.

9. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Here's a quick fix for anyone reading this who want to get rid of those ugly half-pixels.

Since the FES DLC is basically scaled 200% what you can do is open the file in Gimp or Photoshop and scale it down to it's original size (50% without interpolation). The artwork might not come out exactly like the artist intended but it'll be close enough and the half pixels will disappear since the artwork is now at a 1:1 scale. The final step is to just scale it 200% (again, without interpolation!). Done!

This takes practically no skill or time and can be done by just about anyone. Especially since Gimp is free to download.

@Archeia
    That's too bad to hear. I'll keep hoping that at some point we'll get a little bit more customer support for this DLC and that they'll fix some stuff, as well as maybe add some stuff that's not there. But yeah, I'll not be holding my breath. Thanks for you time anyway. :kaoluv:

Calvynne likes this.
  10. Calvynne

Calvynne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm still looking for door solutions, so right now, it looks like lots of edits are necessary.

11. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Calvynne Yea, unfortunately it seems like one would have to spend a lot of time editing the doors. Either you have to make the DS/DS+ doors taller so they fit the FES RTP (probably the easiest way), or you’d have to animate the static FES doors.

12. jkweath

jkweath Goes Fast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I bought and used the FES resources for Knight Bewitched. I was also really confused about the tilesets, so I ended up mixing, matching and combining a bunch (still ended up with like 30 Tilesets in my game's database though :( )

I was looking through my files and found !FES_Doors2 and !FES_Doors3, which are animated doors. Did your resource pack not come with these? It's possible these are from the DS tileset and I just forgot, I honestly can't remember anymore lol.

purchased pack image removed by mod

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2018
  13. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jkweath Please do not publicly post images from purchased packs. Thank you.

14. Calvynne

Calvynne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No, those are not in my FES dlc files, did you get your FES files through steam?

15. jkweath

jkweath Goes Fast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @mlogan sorry about that.

@Calvynne Not sure. It could be that those were from the DS resource pack and I just resized and renamed them. Either way they worked just fine for me.

16. Calvynne

Calvynne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the tip! I'll check out that resource pack and see if it works.

17. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Sorry for not responding sooner.

I checked again and as it turns out, there are doors that can be resized and do match in the DS DLC. You'd think they are in the DS+ DLC so that's where I was looking before, and there are doors there too but they are just one tile high and do not match. So thanks for pointing that out @jkweath .

And just to clarify, there are no animated doors in the FES DLC so anyone who wants doors (who doesn't want doors?) probably have to buy the DS DLC or make their own.

I've reported this thread as it can be closed. Thanks for all the help everyone! :kaoluv:

18. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.