RMMZ About the new RMMZ TouchInput functions...

Raith

Squire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The new TouchInput in rmmz_core.js is highly similar with the old one inRMMV rpg_core.js.

The difference that in the TouchInput.clear function now there are _newState and _currentState properties, and TouchInput.update function is rewritten radically thanks to the new _createNewState() function.

Compared to RMMV, well, this is nice.

However, problems start appearing when you create plugin with anything related to TouchInput: Whether you use isClicked, isTriggered, isPressed, or isReleased function, all of them will produce "event activation loop effect"

To demonstrate what I mean, make and activate this plugin:

JavaScript:
(function() {

Game_Player.prototype.triggerButtonAction = function() {
if (Input.isTriggered('ok') || TouchInput.isTriggered()) {
if (this.getOnOffVehicle()) {
return true;
}
this.checkEventTriggerHere([0]);
if ($gameMap.setupStartingEvent()) {
return true;
}
this.checkEventTriggerThere([0,1,2]);
if ($gameMap.setupStartingEvent()) {
return true;
}
}
return false
};

})();
That small plugin make you able to activate event by clicking anywhere, just by standing adjacent to the event without directly clicking them (just like in Stardew Valley game).

To test the plugin, try making a talking NPC with an event, and try to talk to them by creating Text Message command. You will see the "event activation loop effect", in which the NPC will never stop talking after you try to end the message by clicking, by skipping the message or not.

The plugin, if used in RMMV will not produce the same problem.

Anyone care to explain about this? is this a supposed new touch input behavior? And does anyone know workaround for this?

EDITED: small edit on how to clarify how you should test the plugin

Last edited:

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
isTriggered should not cause that. How did you test it?

Edit: Sorry, missed the part about the Text Message command.
It's probably triggering the event again because you clicked to skip the message, try also checking if there's no event running before activating a new event.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! ^^
I think I know what's going on. MAYBE. xD
When I was making my mobile pad plugin, I have this issue with messages too.
When I clicked on a button on the screen, he activates the event, but it keeping activating it and I was not able to close the message.
I mean. when I closed the message, it opened again(like, activating the event again).
I know it's a little bit different than your context because I create a button that simulates the 'ok' input.

But I manage to solve my problem in this function:

JavaScript:
Scene_Map.prototype.isAnyButtonPressed = function() {
    return this._menuButton && this._menuButton.isPressed();
};
JavaScript:
Eli.MobilePad.Scenemap_isAnyButtonPressed = Scenemap.isAnyButtonPressed;
Scenemap.isAnyButtonPressed = function() {
    const alias = Eli.MobilePad.Scenemap_isAnyButtonPressed.call(this);
    return alias || this._mobilePad && this._mobilePad.isPressed();
};
I think you have to add here a condition for the scene map knows that a 'button' is pressed too. In your case, "TouchInput.isTriggered()" ?
Hope It helps ^^''

Raith

Squire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
FYI the code I modified (by adding || isTriggered) is the one controlling "Action Button" choice for activating event.

isTriggered should not cause that. How did you test it?

Edit: Sorry, missed the part about the Text Message command.
It's probably triggering the event again because you clicked to skip the message, try also checking if there's no event running before activating a new event.
@Hudell I highly agree with your opinion, since I've used the very same code for RMMV - isTriggered, isReleased, etc should not exhibit such behavior. And I've tested it without skipping the message. About checking if an event is still running, I'll try that.

Hi! ^^
I think I know what's going on. MAYBE. xD
When I was making my mobile pad plugin, I have this issue with messages too.
When I clicked on a button on the screen, he activates the event, but it keeping activating it and I was not able to close the message.
I mean. when I closed the message, it opened again(like, activating the event again).
I know it's a little bit different than your context because I create a button that simulates the 'ok' input.

But I manage to solve my problem in this function:

JavaScript:
Scene_Map.prototype.isAnyButtonPressed = function() {
    return this._menuButton && this._menuButton.isPressed();
};
JavaScript:
Eli.MobilePad.Scenemap_isAnyButtonPressed = Scenemap.isAnyButtonPressed;
Scenemap.isAnyButtonPressed = function() {
    const alias = Eli.MobilePad.Scenemap_isAnyButtonPressed.call(this);
    return alias || this._mobilePad && this._mobilePad.isPressed();
};
I think you have to add here a condition for the scene map knows that a 'button' is pressed too. In your case, "TouchInput.isTriggered()" ?
Hope It helps ^^''
It is very similar! There you use isPressed instead. As far as I know, isPressed is the most affected. I've seen the same thing with caethyril's plugin. Gotta try your method too and see which one that is better suited.

EDIT:
I found the temporary solution regarding to the "event activation loop effect", however, I'm not satisfied with this finding:

As far as I tested in vanilla project, the spam-click behavior only affect events/common events using Text Message command. Events which only play SE, change variables/switches, add items, and open shop/menu scene are not affected.
Hence, logically any function involving Game_Interpreter, Game_Player, Window_Message, or TouchInput can be the culprit.

So by changing this piece of codes from the original:

JavaScript:
Window_Message.prototype.isTriggered = function() {
    return (
        Input.isRepeated("ok") ||
        Input.isRepeated("cancel") ||
        TouchInput.isTriggered()
    );
};
Into this....

JavaScript:
Window_Message.prototype.isTriggered = function() {
    return (
        Input.isRepeated("ok") ||
        Input.isRepeated("cancel") ||
        TouchInput.isReleased()
    );
};
Will solve the current issue.

However, It still doesn't explain why I need to do such change while in MV I don't have to. I still don't believe that Window_Message is the cause of this problem.

I'll left this thread open for further discussion if needed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I confirmed my train ticket yesterday. I'll be heading to Orlando on the 29th... last time I went, I found this little treasure!
Done with another simple battleback :LZYcheeze:
Anyone else find it amusing that people watch videos of tragedy and then try to take the "moral high ground" by having sympathy for the victims? Dude, you watched the tragedy for the same reason everyone else. People being injured is an instinctive human curiosity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordPenguin666