About to buy MV, what addons would you recommend buying if at all?

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello!
Would any of you recommend buying any of the add ons sold on the official site, or are the community released ones just as good or better? I don't want to just use the default assets and make a basic boring game. Thanks!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I think it really depends on the type of game you want to make and the feel you want it to have. Take some time to look through the graphics packs available and see what might fit the mood of your game.

For example, you aren't going to want to buy POP! Horror for a traditional fantasy RPG. https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-vxace-character/pop-horror-city

But likewise, you won't want PV Games' Medieval series for a zombie slasher. https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-mv-tileset/medieval-town-country

So, we can't really say what might be best for you without knowing anything about what you want to make.

Reactions: a_a

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My advice would be to not buy DLCs and assets in anticipation. So many people have wasted so much money buying assets they thought they'd use or need in a future project, only to never use them. Only go buying or commissioning assets when you really need them now for an ongoing project you are serious about (and know you won't abandon soon).

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you want a huge grabbag of miscellaneous assets, I'd recommend looking at https://opengameart.org/

It takes time to rifle through to find what's useful to you, but there are a few quite good artists who released good amounts of stuff into the public domain, like jetrel,

hyptosis

and ansimuz

and there's other stuff that's licensed under common CC-BY / CC-BY-SA or whatever licenses as well. For instance, the Liberated Pixel Cup art set is CC-BY-SA, and has a lot of tiles ( https://opengameart.org/art-search-advanced?field_art_tags_tid=liberated pixel cup ), and was made by Sharm (well, with additional artists, there's a bundled credits.txt for who you need to credit to use them)

If you start seriously tinkering with the engine and want to spend money on addons, I'd say that the $30 for the complete yanfly set is probably the best deal around.

In terms of sprucing up how your maps look, buying doodads on its own is a steal at $1; being able to place little decorations off-grid can instantly make things feel less artificial, even if you aren't using any additional assets.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as DLC, check out the FSM (First Seed Material) resource packs. If you like the style, I think they're definitely worth spending a bit of money on.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much for the responses everyone! If i'm going to try and make an atmospheric modern day sad story based game (that was hard to read), is there a certain tileset or plugin that is well known that I should buy to make it look realistic and modern day?

Thanks!

ImaginaryVillain

Obviously the "Hero" of Light!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Event Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Realistic? I mean the only graphics I've seen in the whole bunch that try for any amount of realism are the PVGames stuff. You could try his Mythos stuff. That's somewhat close to modern, though a bit more Cthulhu era.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Realistic? I mean the only graphics I've seen in the whole bunch that try for any amount of realism are the PVGames stuff. You could try his Mythos stuff. That's somewhat close to modern, though a bit more Cthulhu era.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor