Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbirdy3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was using chrono engine abs and everything was working great. Without changing a single thing between playtests all of a sudden no attacks or skills function anymore. Is this an issue anyone else has had? If so how did you fix it? If not how would you suggest I diagnose this?

AdeptusUK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does f8 give you any clues/errors? Did you move the project folder or any game data?

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Are you certain you took no action on your project between it working and not working? Other than pressing the playtest button, that is? :kaoswt:

Is all your project data (database, maps, etc) still intact? RPG Maker does not play nice with automatic backup systems like OneDrive, Dropbox, etc...might be your project's files have been corrupted or deleted due to a bad sync.

If you press F8 during playtest, the console window should appear. Do you see any errors (red text) there? If so can you post a screenshot of it?

It's possible for plugins to alter local files, so what other plugins are you using, and in which order? A screenshot may be helpful here, too. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
please check the tutorial "bughunting" in my signature.

but the most important thing is:
There is always a reason, nothing in the computer is random.
if you don't know or don't remember that reason, that means you have to start looking for the reason.

and we need details to be able to help you to find out what is different on your computer between those playtests. At the start a better error description is a minimum, because the description you gave didn't tell what happens now.

darthbirdy3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Does f8 give you any clues/errors? Did you move the project folder or any game data?

I did not move the project folder or any files and the console seems to show nothing is wrong.

Are you certain you took no action on your project between it working and not working? Other than pressing the playtest button, that is? :kaoswt:

Is all your project data (database, maps, etc) still intact? RPG Maker does not play nice with automatic backup systems like OneDrive, Dropbox, etc...might be your project's files have been corrupted or deleted due to a bad sync.

If you press F8 during playtest, the console window should appear. Do you see any errors (red text) there? If so can you post a screenshot of it?

It's possible for plugins to alter local files, so what other plugins are you using, and in which order? A screenshot may be helpful here, too. :)

I may have deleted one enemy event from a test map that was a copy of another, so it shouldn't have changed anything. Here are the plugins I'm using though they all worked together fine for quite a long time:
plugins.png

please check the tutorial "bughunting" in my signature.

but the most important thing is:
There is always a reason, nothing in the computer is random.
if you don't know or don't remember that reason, that means you have to start looking for the reason.

and we need details to be able to help you to find out what is different on your computer between those playtests. At the start a better error description is a minimum, because the description you gave didn't tell what happens now.

Beforehand everything worked as it should. The player would change poses as they should and the attacks would land perfectly. Out of essentially nowhere neither the player nor enemy events would even attempt attacks. The poses do not change and no attacks are used on the button press or in the enemy move routes. I have no idea what could have caused this. It did fix itself very briefly then the error started again for seemingly no reason.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It did fix itself very briefly then the error started again for seemingly no reason.
as I said before, there is always a reason.
the fact that it even temporarily "fixed itself" alone tells us two things:
1) it is not a damage to any file, which would have been an option if it remained defective
2) it is guaranteed to be something you caused to change.

Let's take several steps back and check how you test. Do you always start a new game on playtest or do you sometimes load savefiles? If you continue a savefile is it always the same or different ones?
Do you always start playtest by playtest button or do you sometimes launch the index.html directly?

Open the project folder. do you have a folder www inside that folder?
I may have deleted one enemy event from a test map that was a copy of another,
doublecheck if you change the copy or the original if both maps are identical.
how are they linked? is it possible that one of those maps was referenced elsewhere after you copied them?

darthbirdy3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
as I said before, there is always a reason.
the fact that it even temporarily "fixed itself" alone tells us two things:
1) it is not a damage to any file, which would have been an option if it remained defective
2) it is guaranteed to be something you caused to change.

Let's take several steps back and check how you test. Do you always start a new game on playtest or do you sometimes load savefiles? If you continue a savefile is it always the same or different ones?
Do you always start playtest by playtest button or do you sometimes launch the index.html directly?

Open the project folder. do you have a folder www inside that folder?

doublecheck if you change the copy or the original if both maps are identical.
how are they linked? is it possible that one of those maps was referenced elsewhere after you copied them?

I am starting a new game for every test, so there are no save files even made. And I should specify. the EVENT was the copy. Not a whole map. I realize my sentence was not specific. I always use the playtest button. I do not see a folder titled www.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
good so far, the www folder would be a symptom of an error as that should only exist for deployed versions. Theoretically I can think of several other steps but unfortunately those details depend on your plugins - and I never used mog's plugins, so I can't help you there.
but the next point would be to check if there are dynamic ways to activate or deactivate any of your plugins on command (like by turning a switch) and then check if one of those switches or commands is misconfigured.

darthbirdy3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
good so far, the www folder would be a symptom of an error as that should only exist for deployed versions. Theoretically I can think of several other steps but unfortunately those details depend on your plugins - and I never used mog's plugins, so I can't help you there.
but the next point would be to check if there are dynamic ways to activate or deactivate any of your plugins on command (like by turning a switch) and then check if one of those switches or commands is misconfigured.

I confirmed that running the game with every plugin DISABLED except the battle system changes nothing, so the problem must be coming from the abs itself. This is bizarre because after copying it to a different project, the abs works fine. I cannot seem to pinpoint what is causing this issue.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I confirmed that running the game with every plugin DISABLED
Did you read and understand what I wrote about? My advice had nothing to do with disabling the plugins themselves in the plugin manager, it has to do with their configurations and what parts of them can be disabled by plugin commands or control switch commands during play.

darthbirdy3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Did you read and understand what I wrote about? My advice had nothing to do with disabling the plugins themselves in the plugin manager, it has to do with their configurations and what parts of them can be disabled by plugin commands or control switch commands during play.

I haven't run any plugin commands inside the project. Everything is running strictly based on the parameters set in the plugin manager which I haven't changed since the error began. I fear that testing all of the plugin commands at this point can only make things worse. If you still recommend it, I will give it a shot. I also tested removing every event from the project accept the player and the tools necessary for the abs to see if something there was causing it and still nothing changed. Is it possible that something from outside the project entirely could cause it to suddenly malfunction? It sounds unlikely, but I've pretty much stripped it to the bare bones and the error hasn't cleared up.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, nothing outside the project can influence it.
but you still didn't understand what I asked for. Ignoring the plugin configuration can cause such errors.

Let's give you an example from a different plugin.
There is an overlay plugin that has a configuration of four switches for the four different layers used (like ground layer and light layer). This is intended to give the user control over the display of those layers - if the switch for the light layer is on, the light picture gets displayed and if that switch is off the light layer remains invisible.
Now the default configuration is just assigning the numbers of 1 to 4 to those four functions as switch IDs.
And the result of that is that every user of that plugin who ignored the configuration had though that the layers were activated at unknown times, because they had used their switches for something else and whenever that something else changes the switches.

And that is what I asked you to check for - does any of those plugin configurations have any switches assigned to activating or deactivating any function? Because if they do, your events are acctivating and deactivating the plugin functions by using the control switch command for something completely unrelated and you're only surprised because you never checked the configurations for those options.

darthbirdy3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
no, nothing outside the project can influence it.
but you still didn't understand what I asked for. Ignoring the plugin configuration can cause such errors.

Let's give you an example from a different plugin.
There is an overlay plugin that has a configuration of four switches for the four different layers used (like ground layer and light layer). This is intended to give the user control over the display of those layers - if the switch for the light layer is on, the light picture gets displayed and if that switch is off the light layer remains invisible.
Now the default configuration is just assigning the numbers of 1 to 4 to those four functions as switch IDs.
And the result of that is that every user of that plugin who ignored the configuration had though that the layers were activated at unknown times, because they had used their switches for something else and whenever that something else changes the switches.

And that is what I asked you to check for - does any of those plugin configurations have any switches assigned to activating or deactivating any function? Because if they do, your events are acctivating and deactivating the plugin functions by using the control switch command for something completely unrelated and you're only surprised because you never checked the configurations for those options.

I didn't flip any switches at all between the plugin functioning and not functioning, but I did look into it just in case. After reading the entirety of the code and roughly translating the documentation there appear to be no specific switches that directly influence the behavior of the plugin. There are new methods for altering switches and variables through combat, but that is all I can find.

EDIT: I should mention I am not a coding noob. I am a computer science student, so I had a pretty decent idea of what I was looking at. I am still a student though, so if anyone else wants to help me look that what be cool too. I would love to just send the whole project, but it's full of assets I purchased a license for, so I legally cannot send the undeployed version.

Last edited:

TheGameAfter

I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know why is happening but I have few time myself having this problem with mog abs stop working for no reason.

I simply use an older virsion where is still working and make a copy of it (!), Then I copy post maps/events/data/plugins, each from the newest virsion, and so far %95 of the times it work normal even after all the copy post everything. In the one or two cases is not, I realized one of the event I run for some reason made the abs to stop, and even when removing this event later didn't fix the problem. So i will say do this if you can and then make another copy of the new copy project with everything before(!) 'test play', then try to play around with test play events and plugin parameter you might change. This problem may or may not happened again, so just copy post your project every few days (or less), then even if you don't find the reason you can easily continue working on your project by doing the simplest steps above.
You can even do it with a new mog abs demo project, take few hours but problem solved.

I'm not sure if that what you looking for but that was the %100 solution to the problem for me a least. Cheers

darthbirdy3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know why is happening but I have few time myself having this problem with mog abs stop working for no reason.

I simply use an older virsion where is still working and make a copy of it (!), Then I copy post maps/events/data/plugins, each from the newest virsion, and so far %95 of the times it work normal even after all the copy post everything. In the one or two cases is not, I realized one of the event I run for some reason made the abs to stop, and even when removing this event later didn't fix the problem. So i will say do this if you can and then make another copy of the new copy project with everything before(!) 'test play', then try to play around with test play events and plugin parameter you might change. This problem may or may not happened again, so just copy post your project every few days (or less), then even if you don't find the reason you can easily continue working on your project by doing the simplest steps above.
You can even do it with a new mog abs demo project, take few hours but problem solved.

I'm not sure if that what you looking for but that was the %100 solution to the problem for me a least. Cheers

I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one facing this issue and that it's just a plugin problem. Your solution definitely isn't optimal, but it will have to do for now. I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

EDIT: My computer seemingly did not save any previous versions so I guess I'm screwed...

EDIT 2: Now that I've got everything copied over to a new project and it works again. I guess I just have to keep constant backups. This can be closed I suppose.

Last edited:

TheGameAfter

I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one facing this issue and that it's just a plugin problem. Your solution definitely isn't optimal, but it will have to do for now. I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

EDIT: My computer seemingly did not save any previous versions so I guess I'm screwed...

EDIT 2: Now that I've got everything copied over to a new project and it works again. I guess I just have to keep constant backups. This can be closed I suppose.

Glad to hear it helps, wish he was an easy way to solve this, when it comes to ABS I learn it could be more complicate to fix the project with the problem in it, that why I started back up every few days, or even less if is after a big change.

also if you want to close this post you can click on the 'report' button on your first post on this page, and write 'solved, can be closed' or something like that. good luck with your project.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Remember guys: Drink water and workout is important too! Don't stay too much time on the PC working! :D
Ami
--- Quest For Female ---

Guild Leader: Ladies,you got a Job for today. You have to Battle with Marauder,only Female must to this Job.
F.Magic Knight: So,only Female can do this?
Heroine: I can't wait for this!
Gunner Lady: Well,i can use the Seduction Skill to them,It's effective for Male Target
F.Knight: You always use that?
RPG Maker MZ just crashed, please tell me I didn't just lose 4 hours of progress.
>be me with a separate game for testing
>NPC doesn't stay in new position after leaving the map
>looking for tutorials, nothing useful
>checks plugin of save even location and installs it
>testing the game

"Oh... IT'S WORKING, IT'S ACTUALLY WORKING!!"
My current peak of boss design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00cassiesmells