Absolute Values for Exp/Levels

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Nekryyd, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Nekryyd

Nekryyd Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi folks. I used to dabble a lot with old versions of RPG Maker back in the day, making a few things for myself but this is the first time I am getting serious.

I've been working a lot on art but am setting that aside to start building the skeleton of the systems I want to be using. It's been a while since I've tried to mess around with RPG Maker properly, and I'm already running into an issue.

Essentially, I want to set absolute values for the experience requirements for various levels, rather than creating a curve. If it as tedious and manually entering the values of 99 levels, then I could deal with that, but there seems to be only the option of creating a curve.

My game won't have much of a focus on grinding at all, with most exp being earned through events. I also have a different pace for leveling in mind, and being able to set absolute values would make this easier.

So for example:

Level 1 -> 2 = 1000 Total Exp

Level 2 -> 3 = 2000 Total Exp

Level 3 -> 4 = 3000 Total Exp

Level 4 -> 5 = 6000 Total Exp

Level 5 -> 6 = 7000 Total Exp

Level 7 -> 8 = 8000 Total Exp

Level 8 -> 9 = 9000 Total Exp

Level 9 -> 10 = 15000 Total Exp

The idea here being that levels 4 and 9 are something of a plateau while 5 and 10 are milestones.

Part 2 of my question would be:

Is it possible to set a level cap for a class? For example, I am thinking something along the lines of class evolution. Example:

Peasant Lvl 1 - 10 -> Warrior Lvl 1

Warrior Lvl 10 -> Knight Lvl 1

Etc. I feel that this is not possible though normal event scripting, and would need advanced plugin scripting... Am I right?

Alternatively, I could do something almost the opposite. A player could level in a class very, very rapidly to 99 which has a hard cap, and then graduate to another class. If I do things that way, I could conceivably manage plateaus/milestones by directly assigning the values for stat increases... Though I feel that would be less elegant and harder to chart out in terms of exp rewards for event completion. I also think it would detract from the sense of achievement when gaining a level, not to mention being very annoying to see level-up screens all the time. Hmm.

I appreciate any insight/advice!

BigAnimeTiddies likes this.
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you'll need a plugin for that.
    I suggest checking tsukihime's blog - she had such a script for Ace, but I don't know if she ported it to MV.

Nekryyd likes this.
  3. robhav

robhav Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here is Hime's experience script for MV. You will have to manually enter experience amount for each level for each class:

http://himeworks.com/2015/12/exp-tables-mv/

You might want to use Yanfly's class change plugin to manage your classes. One thing I know it could do would be to unlock Warrior when Peasant reaches level 10.

Nekryyd likes this.
  4. Nekryyd

Nekryyd Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Perfect! I'll take a gander at Yanfly's stuff. Even though I haven't used RPGMaker in a long while, I've still seen those referenced very often, and I think it's safe to assume for good reason.

That will sort out my leveling mechanics, I just need to figure out how to set a level cap.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Level cap is by default on the actor in the database.