Nekryyd

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi folks. I used to dabble a lot with old versions of RPG Maker back in the day, making a few things for myself but this is the first time I am getting serious.

I've been working a lot on art but am setting that aside to start building the skeleton of the systems I want to be using. It's been a while since I've tried to mess around with RPG Maker properly, and I'm already running into an issue.

Essentially, I want to set absolute values for the experience requirements for various levels, rather than creating a curve. If it as tedious and manually entering the values of 99 levels, then I could deal with that, but there seems to be only the option of creating a curve.

My game won't have much of a focus on grinding at all, with most exp being earned through events. I also have a different pace for leveling in mind, and being able to set absolute values would make this easier.

So for example:

Level 1 -> 2 = 1000 Total Exp

Level 2 -> 3 = 2000 Total Exp

Level 3 -> 4 = 3000 Total Exp

Level 4 -> 5 = 6000 Total Exp

Level 5 -> 6 = 7000 Total Exp

Level 7 -> 8 = 8000 Total Exp

Level 8 -> 9 = 9000 Total Exp

Level 9 -> 10 = 15000 Total Exp

The idea here being that levels 4 and 9 are something of a plateau while 5 and 10 are milestones.

Part 2 of my question would be:

Is it possible to set a level cap for a class? For example, I am thinking something along the lines of class evolution. Example:

Peasant Lvl 1 - 10 -> Warrior Lvl 1

Warrior Lvl 10 -> Knight Lvl 1

Etc. I feel that this is not possible though normal event scripting, and would need advanced plugin scripting... Am I right?

Alternatively, I could do something almost the opposite. A player could level in a class very, very rapidly to 99 which has a hard cap, and then graduate to another class. If I do things that way, I could conceivably manage plateaus/milestones by directly assigning the values for stat increases... Though I feel that would be less elegant and harder to chart out in terms of exp rewards for event completion. I also think it would detract from the sense of achievement when gaining a level, not to mention being very annoying to see level-up screens all the time. Hmm.

I appreciate any insight/advice!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you'll need a plugin for that.
I suggest checking tsukihime's blog - she had such a script for Ace, but I don't know if she ported it to MV.

robhav

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is Hime's experience script for MV. You will have to manually enter experience amount for each level for each class:

http://himeworks.com/2015/12/exp-tables-mv/

You might want to use Yanfly's class change plugin to manage your classes. One thing I know it could do would be to unlock Warrior when Peasant reaches level 10.

Nekryyd

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perfect! I'll take a gander at Yanfly's stuff. Even though I haven't used RPGMaker in a long while, I've still seen those referenced very often, and I think it's safe to assume for good reason.

That will sort out my leveling mechanics, I just need to figure out how to set a level cap.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Level cap is by default on the actor in the database.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You guys just freely offer up your Autonomy?
I don't know about you, but today the covid frustration is seriously getting to me. Haven't really seen many of my friends for two years, since i moved towns the year before this all started, and well, i miss them :(
so, here's a cute alpacaraptor sketch to heighten the mood:
W7Fhp9n.png
Whenever I start on a new chapter, it doesn't feel like the next episodes, but more like sequels :)
It can be frustrating that so many commercial games have used up titles that might otherwise be great for a project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyforever