Accidentally overwrite game with my base project. Now I can't play test.

Vergel_Nikolai

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I was gonna save the development of my game again for play testing to my friends I might've accidentally merged it with my base project and I did some fixes like moving the files for the game distribution to its proper folder but now due to that I can no longer play test my project. And it'll only work if I bring back the moved files to the folder but then my play test won't be updated with my changes in the database. Is there any way to fix this?

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can try to create a fresh new project, look which files are required and then move these from your game folder to the new one.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem is the packages.json file.
It's containing different data on a deployed game and the reason why you should not deploy into your project directory.

make a new project, then copy the packages file from there to your damaged project. That will remove the need for the www folder.

Vergel_Nikolai

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just did what you all suggested. Created a new project then transferred the needed files and data from the old one to the new. I can play test there now and any changes I do with that happen to remain if I play test again.

I guess what I have to do next time is to be careful where to confirm a developed game.

Vergel_Nikolai

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem is the packages.json file.
It's containing different data on a deployed game and the reason why you should not deploy into your project directory.

make a new project, then copy the packages file from there to your damaged project. That will remove the need for the www folder.
I actually just did your suggestion and well my old file is working good. I can play test it now. Thanks. Perhaps I'm not gonna replace it with the other backup but I'll let that one be around just in case.

Quexp

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just made this mistake the other day! I didn't know what files changed so I ended up creating a new project, paste in all of my maps...but then had re-add needed files, redo my database and fix all of my Transfer Player commands. I'll be backing up my base folder next time but am glad I ran into this because the steps given here are much easier! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Okay someone really needs to fix that broken railing, its a health hazard...

I'm starting to wonder if I should go the Half Minute Hero route with my game. The character's main weapon is logistically way too strong. So I can't really let the player continuously grow it.... But if they had to build it up each time like HMH, that could work. Also it lets me take advantage of my randomly generated maps so much more. Hmm... This could work! :LZSexcite:
std::vector, std::map and std::string. Three reasons why I'd take C++ over C. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xericho