Ace Attorney Character design

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Goldschuss, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Goldschuss

Goldschuss The creator of Lye Bastion Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hey everyone

Ace attorney has great character design, it always gives me a good laugh.

But what exactly makes it so good?

Is it, that they take stereotypes and exaggerate them? I tried to create some characters that would fit in an ace attorney game, but I wonder if they would be funny in general.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
  2. aboynamedearth

aboynamedearth Onion Knight Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think something that is done very well in the Ace Attorney games is that every single character has very distinct and easily understood wants and goals

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
    Goldschuss likes this.
  3. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    i love ace attorney

stereotypes and tropes are used to get to know characters QUICKLY. They don't always play their tropes in the same way, to keep cases surprising and to keep you guessing. Although all characters do this, the one-off one-case characters tend to use tropes more strongly, because there's just not enough time to develop them to be compelling otherwise.

As for making characters who fit, try making a fan character for the series! You can turn them into an original character later. Just try to make like 1 character and think of how they relate to the canonical ones and if they fit in with the tone...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
    Goldschuss likes this.
  4. Sysen

Sysen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    From what i see, Ace Attorney characters tend to "hide" their true personalities,

most of the characters have good balance of their strength and weakness (they're doing the good job showing the bad side(weakness) of the character)

Goldschuss likes this.
  5. sb~

sb~ Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I think the AA series does a great job making their characters all seem very real. The character's reactions and conversations fit his/her personality which creates immersion for the players.

Goldschuss likes this.
  6. Goldschuss

Goldschuss The creator of Lye Bastion Veteran

First Language:
    German
    You all bring up very good points here, especially the "wants and needs". Thank you for your input everyone.

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So far I haven't really seen anything to justify this being in the forum for discussing the principles of game making.  It seems more like a general conversation about this particular game, Ace Attorney.  

I've moved this thread to General Lounge. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.