phageous

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello,

I found this wonderful script by FenixFyreX which makes sound effects play when text is displayed in the message window. If possible though, I would like to have the SE change when different characters are speaking, so each character has a different "voice".

I know this would be done with script calls, but since the script doesn't mention script calls, what would they be? Could I even use script calls with this script? I would ideally like to be able to change the file used for the SE, the volume, the pitch, and maybe even the wait time before the SE plays. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you mean, "a different voice"?

Do you want to have the actual text voiced? Or do you want to set up a different lot of sound effects for each character? Is this only for the characters in the party? What happens with NPCs?

At the very least, you would have to pass in a new escape code with each dialogue box to state what character is "speaking" (which group of sounds you want to use), and set one to be the default if nothing is passed in. Is that what you plan to do?

phageous

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't want to actually voice the text, just use different sounds for each character. For instance, when a tall, beefy male character speaks, a low-pitched sound plays, and when a small female character speaks, a higher-pitched sound plays. I would probably just do it for main characters, those in the party and a few important others.

I'm not sure what an escape code is? To explain more, I had previously done what I wanted in RPG Maker VX. I used the Yanfly Message System which let you set a default SE to play while text was displayed, and it had script calls you could use in events to temporarily change the SE for the following text. All I had to do was insert a bit of script ($game_message.text_sound = "Cursor") before a character's dialogue and it would change the SE for that text. Unfortunately, the Yanfly scripts for VX Ace don't include this feature for some reason, so I am looking for a good replacement.

Thanks for the response. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An escape code is what you use when you do a Show Text to change its behaviour - if you hover over the text input box, a popup will appear listing the escape codes.

\V[n] for a variable, for instance.

You'd have to put an escape code into each Show Text to tell it which set of sounds to use, after the script is modified to actually use multiple sets.

phageous

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah okay. I know what those are, just didn't know that's what they were called. Thanks.

How would the script needed to be modified? Would that be a complicated edit?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're not familiar with scripting, yes, it would be.

Just to check, are you using VX or Ace?

phageous

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, figures. I'm using Ace.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My number one take away from this game jam is to make small games that are as polished and bug free as possible. Far less dev time, and if the game flops, it matters less because my time investment is much lower. Also, whatever ambitions I have... aim for about 10% of them. They are clearly too high, and will involve stuff that likely won't matter.
I'm finally back! :kaojoy:
A lot of RL issues happened this year which didn't let me work on Aithne as much, but I am back with new inspiration!
In that time my art style also changed a little, so I'll be doing a small art change with busts/menu art
Ops forgot to fix the hand on the weaponless sprite o_O
opening old GIMP files is a blessing and a curse because it can be fun to look at art you started once upon a time and want to finish BUT come to a total halt when you remember your past self forgot to create separate layers for most files

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayJHatchet