Chanto

Scripting Newbie
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll get my main question out of the way first:  Does anyone have a definite flowchart or anything of the sort to demonstrate how RGSS3 jumps from each event to others and back from start to finish in the progression of a battle?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out where in the world I should start in reworking the system.  Here's the basic gist of what I want to do:

[8/10/2013 1:43:39 PM] Tony Delgado: So like, first off, turn order will be decided constantly on the fly by way of a Stamina meter

[8/10/2013 1:43:58 PM] Tony Delgado: Every character will have one, and each battler will recharge theirs by a certain rate after each person's turn

[8/10/2013 1:44:48 PM] Tony Delgado: Once someone's Stamina reaches 100, they're placed at the end of the turn order queue and will act after anyone else higher up on the list

[8/10/2013 1:45:50 PM] Tony Delgado: Different actions will have different Stamina costs depending on how strenuous the action is, so you can play it somewhat safe and keep using smaller actions and keep getting turns quickly, or you can try for setting up a big hit that'll potentially do a lot of damage but also leave you open for a while.

[8/10/2013 1:46:28 PM] Tony Delgado: Now one thing that I wanna do that may give me trouble is that I wanna be able to enable multiple actions per turn

[8/10/2013 1:47:10 PM] Tony Delgado: Like, instead of just attacking once and moving to the next person, you can attack multiple times in a row, or attack and then set up a defensive stance, or use separate healing spells on multiple people, etc

I hope that all made enough sense... @_@

But yeah, basically, I know so far I'm gonna need to alter how TP is gained, because I'll be reworking it to serve as Stamina.  I'll also need to modify how turn order is attained, and...well, a lot of other things that I'm not even sure of how to get around to yet.  Being able to easily check out the flow of battle step-by-step instead of hunting all around the script editor's pages would be a tremendous help to learning how it all works, though.  So, anybody got something here?

Chanto

Scripting Newbie
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, considering how long it's been with no news here, I'm guessing such a flowchart does not yet exist, meaning I very well may have to come up with one of my own.

So let's start with this; what are the methods in the script editor that get around to setting up a battle, from the point of walking around on the map, to activating a random encounter, to actually getting all the characters set up to fight; additionally, what's that same leadup when handling a scripted, event-triggered battle?  I imagine they may both be different, but still converge at a point, yeah?

Another thing that might help here is this:  Does anyone have an alternative to the old RGSS3 documentation site, since the original (http://rgss3doc.tk/) apparently no longer exists?  Something like this may be extremely helpful to my figuring out how all of this works and fits together.

Thanks for reading, and for any help, mates!

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Game_Player - walk around, deal with encounter and picking troop to choose

Game_Map - get available encounters

BattleManager - setup troop, all sorts of battle logic

Game_Troop - create enemies for the troop

Scene_Battle - more battle logic and event processing. Start from the "start" method and start tracing the code. You will need to refer to BattleManager as well since it handles the different phases of the battle.

Triggering battles via events is the same thing for the most part except it doesn't bother checking the encounter it just goes straight to the BattleManager setup.

I didn't think rgss3doc very useful, but that's because I just look through the code myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Does anyone have an alternative to the old RGSS3 documentation site, since the original (http://rgss3doc.tk/) apparently no longer exists? 
I have that whole site, actually. I've been wanting to get the domain for it, but I don't know when it expires, so I don't know when I can get it. I also don't happen to know where I would be able to find Cidiomar to ask him to give it to me.

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Are you after something like:

If so I can tell you which methods I edited.

Chanto

Scripting Newbie
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry for the big delay in replying!  Lots of things kept coming up.

Game_Player - walk around, deal with encounter and picking troop to choose
Game_Map - get available encounters
BattleManager - setup troop, all sorts of battle logic
Game_Troop - create enemies for the troop
Scene_Battle - more battle logic and event processing. Start from the "start" method and start tracing the code. You will need to refer to BattleManager as well since it handles the different phases of the battle.

Triggering battles via events is the same thing for the most part except it doesn't bother checking the encounter it just goes straight to the BattleManager setup.

I didn't think rgss3doc very useful, but that's because I just look through the code myself.
Ah, thank you!  That should definitely help me with getting started here, heh.

I have that whole site, actually. I've been wanting to get the domain for it, but I don't know when it expires, so I don't know when I can get it. I also don't happen to know where I would be able to find Cidiomar to ask him to give it to me.
Whoa, really?  Nice!  Well, if any developments occur with that, do please let me know if you remember to!  =]

Are you after something like:

If so I can tell you which methods I edited.
Uhhhh...  Well, that's certainly closer to what I imagine than the default system, but it's still not quite spot-on.  That one still feels a little bit ATB-ish.  What I'm looking at making is more like this:

[IMG]http://oi43.tinypic.com/10ekkdd.jpg[/IMG]

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.
That awkward moment when you're talking about thinking about writing a limited shop stock plugin for MZ and then find out you already wrote one...last May. My memory is so bad.
When I open my project and I'm like, hell yeah.
Some drawings I made in Lapis, one day I intend to involve them in some RPG Maker project.
* maybe two wall frames
*or some sprite flower tiara, or maybe it inspires someone to do something.
bdd19b62e539d17b3b00cc3d63034f7d.jpg

fcca5c8471b34483da8e032cfe579275.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrashWizard