[ACE] Make window graphics at full 255 opacity (like in VX)?

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by shiori4me, May 6, 2014.

1. shiori4me

shiori4me Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't like how you've got the background part to windows but they're all transparent and don't show the full effect of designs. How might I change that?

I tried making this adjustment

class Window_Base < Window #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- # * Get Alpha Value of Translucent Drawing #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- def translucent_alpha return 255 endbut that doesn't have it as I'm attempting

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    AFAIK:

The window image file itself has a bit of transparency (for the part that is used as the window background) ... so you'd need to make a fully opaque windowskin and replace the old one (or modify scripts so you can make only specific windows use the new file) if you need it

3. shiori4me

First Language:
    English
  4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    can you upload the actual windowskin? I'm not talking about the opacity of the full image btw in case that's what you have checked...

EDIT: How does it look in-game?

PS: you can probably look at window base to see the part where it draws the window... assuming it's on window base, else it might be part of the hidden Window class

5. shiori4me

First Language:
    English
  6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I've edited the above comment with some queries and possible solution

7. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Under Window_Base, or you can put this into a blank slot:

class Window_Base < Window #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- # * alias: Object Initialization #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- alias backopacity_initialize initialize def initialize(x, y, width, height) backopacity_initialize(x, y, width, height) self.back_opacity = 255 endend #end Window_BaseI don't require credit for this.  It's super easy and anyone with a smidgen of ruby knowledge can do this, so no credit needed. lol

8. shiori4me

First Language:
    English
    Thanks! 

Ugh, upon noticing... this windowskin looks terrible when stretched out! Lol

Doesn't VX handle windowskin stretching and patterns differently?

9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    you can always opt to make a larger version of it and use the picture directly instead of windowskin function, though that will require scripting knowledge

10. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Could do that with events as well.  Just call a picture and text box into the event and the text would appear on top of the picture and the picture would disappear once the text box is finished processing.  See this example:

@>Show Picture: 1, 'msg_box', Upper Left (screen x,screen y), (100%,100%), 255, Normal@>Text: -, -, Transparent, Bottom: :Blah!@>Erase Picture: 1See?  Super easy.  The screen x and screen y values would be where you want the picture to appear relative to the screen size itself, not the map.  Basically, if you are in the middle of the map, if you use (0,316), it would appear near the bottom of your screen for text.  Test it out and see how you like doing that.

11. shiori4me

First Language:
    English
    But then my text boxes and menus would look different.

I'm just trying to make a windowskin that isn't attrocious. I SUCK WITH COLORS AGH

12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @djdark - fow messages yeah, I was thinking more of for other windows... XD

13. shiori4me

First Language:
    English
    I guess I call this solved?

Or were you still pondering something?

I'm really liking these 255 opacity windows. It makes you feel like you can get lost in them. Very homely. Note, you have to find a window background that stretches well because it display patterns.

14. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, you can make even the windows for the menu be completely transparent and have a "wallpaper" get called when the menu gets called so it's more consistent.  There is a script for it, but I can't remember it right now.  If you really must have a windowskin, always remember that the background gets stretched.  IF you want it to be tiled instead, you can make the gradient be in all black so it can be completely transparent and the bottom half of the Window.png image (under the gradient) be what you want the background to be tiled to be, since that is what tiles instead of getting stretched.

15. shiori4me

First Language:
    English
    You mean make the top left blank and the bottom left basically be a colored pattern?

16. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I tried it being blank and still got a color, so I'm not sure if doing that would help.  You'd have to test that out to be sure and you may be correct.  I know if it's all black, it would be transparent since that's how the alpha channels of a PNG/the software works by making the darkest colors transparent.  Other than that, yes.  Make the bottom left area a colored pattern, if that's what you're looking for.