[Ace] Yami's ATB or Fomar's ATB (compatibility?) fixes?

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Sixth, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have been trying to find a fix on the following things on multiple forums/sites to no avail.

1. Turn function for Fomar's Customisable ATB/Stamina Based Battle System (the addon version)

I really need turn function restored for my battle system, because it would base most of the damage on the combo counter, which would be set to reset each turn. And then there is the morale bar, which on full bar should unlock extra skills (and it does that just fine), should last 'x' turns on full bar and it should reset to zero after, which actually never happens because there are no turn counts.

I suppose it's a bug of some kind, and I even tried to fix it, but did not succeed.

So, anyone found a solution for this yet?

I should probably mention that I use a bunch of other scripts too.

Here are my battle scripts:

YEA Battle Engine

Yami's Battle Symphony (with all of the add-ons)

Fomar's ATB

Galv's Timed Button Attacks

Galv's Battle Favour Meter

Tsuki's Battle Reactions

And some other minor ones, which, in theory, should not affect anything.

Everything works as I want it to work, fully functional, except that turn count.

It was hard enough to make everything compatible AND make them behave as I wanted them to behave. I tried desperately to fix the turn counts, but my knowledge in battle scripts and mechanics coded in them is very limited.

That is why I'm here asking for help. If anyone could fix the turn count in Fomar's ATB, I would be eternally grateful! *-*

2. YSA Battle System: Classical ATB + Tsuki's Battle Reactions compatibility fix

So after giving up on the above mentioned thing, I tried to change my ATB system hoping that it could solve my problem.

But there came this compatibility issue.

I made a reaction to a skill, went to test it in battle, and here comes the error, just before the reaction skill. 

The picture of the error:

error.PNG

And the thing it points me to:

def self.action_forced_battler    @action_forced.shift   endJust by looking at that line, I figured it has to do something with forced actions, as Tsuki's Battle Reaction skills are working exactly like forced actions do.

So, I searched around the net, found some patches and addons to this ATB from DoubleX, but none of it solves the battle reaction issue, unfortunately, even if one of DoubleX's scripts state that it should fix it.

My battle scripts used are the same here as above (without Fomar's ATB, obviously).

I can't imagine my game without battle reactions, so I would really appreciate if someone could fix this little problem somehow (or the one with Fomar's ATB).

I also accept suggestions for using other ATB systems if there are really no solutions on any of the above mentioned problems.

Victor's ATB is out of the question, however. That one gives the most headache for me, bunch of compatibility issues, unfortunately.

I'm sorry if I missed the right section to post this, I'm kinda new here. 

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think you should explain what kind of battle mechanic you really want, because the removal of the turn count is not a bug, it's the intention of the entire script.

If you have a turn based battle, then you don't have an active time battle - and if you want an active time or charge time battle, then you have to remove the turn functionality - it is simply impossible to combine a turn count with an ATB/CTB battle system, because the actions are no longer turn based...

And it's no wonder that you didn't succeed in "fixing this bug", because it isn't a bug but the primary function of the entire script...

One possible solution for this would be to make some sort of a charge counter and then define how many cycles of charging equal one turn.

But I think your best chance is to take one step back and decide what kind of function you want from your battlesystem, and then look for a solution. Currently you're saying "I want a non-turn-based battlesystem but I want it to count turns...", and that is extremely difficult to do...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  3. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If it is intended to be like that, than what do these lines do in the script itself?

# If TURN_LENGTH is set to 0 then a turn length will be   # decided on number of actions  # TURN_LENGTH is number of seconds per turn It wouldn't matter how it does the turn count, per seconds or per actions made, but there should be one.

If there would be no turn counts at all, how would the game know when to auto-remove certain states?

I still think it is a bug of some kind.

But your reply actually gave an idea for me...

Is it possible to modify Galv's Favour Meter and Yami's Combo Count so that the meter and combo count could reset after a certain time passed in battle? Or after a certain skill has been used? Both would suffice.

It would change my original plan of my battle system mechanics, but it would still be a good one, I think.

And that can even be done without any script modification with some common event calls on skills, in theory... Hmm, I will test this tomorrow, maybe I don't need to do anything with the scripts at all.

The base of my battle system would be the combo count and favour meter combined with timed button attacks.

Favour meter only increases when a certain button is pressed at the right time on the attacks, and only if the used skill will be executed fully to the end. That means a single skill can be linked to multiple hits with active button inputs. If the player misses one input, the skill would "force finish" itself and the player won't get the favour bonus.

Skills would be very limited and the stronger ones would unlock only if certain combo count and favour meter is reached and they will be disabled again if the meter or the combo count would not reach the desired amount. 

The meter would decrease over time/turn or if the enemies hit the player with certain skills, the combo count would decrease over turn or if a "combo finisher" skill is used.

That would be the basics of it. No idea if that made any sense, I just hope it did. :D

Thanks for your reply, it really refreshed my brain-cells! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is what I meant with:

The turn length is set as a number of seconds (cycles) to pass - only that it is not a "real" turn as in "each actor has one action per turn" - if you set an action to be fast enough, that action can be repeated two or three times for a slower action from another actor.

And that (different time counts for different actions) is the strength of an ATB, and the reason why regular turn definition (one action per actor per turn) don't work anymore.

5. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Alright, I made it work with 3 common events, 1 switch and 1 variable, some conditional branches, plus needed to use 2 additional scripts which I haven't even considered using for this purpose.

The first one was Base Troop Events form Yanfly, this script is a life saver for common battle events!

The second one was Custom Page Conditions from Tsuki. This one was needed to check an event in battle like if it was a parallel process, and trigger only when I want, else the battle would freeze. Works like a charm for what I need it for.

I used both of these scripts even before, I just didn't realize the full potential of them.

With the above things, I managed to make some sort of turn count, which only counts if the favour meter is at max, since I only need some counter then. Now I can control when the meter resets if no "Morale skills" were used in time, kinda like an automatic turn off switch.

My initial problem was, that I needed some kind of turn count to manage an automatic switch for the meter and for the combo count.

That meter is not a skill, nor an action, it is just an automated bar that can trigger certain states on the party/enemies when specified amount of points are accumulated, it also triggers a common event when it reaches max bar. The max state should be switched off after X turns by default, but with no actual turns in Fomar's ATB, it never went off. This is what I finally fixed, thanks to your input that opened my eyes!

Same with the combo counter. With that, I wanted to make a custom trigger defined by me as to when it resets. Succeeded in this one too.

With all the above, I successfully finished my battle system, yay! 

If someone played The Last Remnant, it will be very similar, but instead of full turn based combat, it will be a semi-ATB kind.

Thanks for the help again!

6. DoubleX

DoubleX Just a nameless weakling Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It seems that your issue's solved already but I just want to know if my compatibility fixes have problems XD

I'm interested in how you place the scripts. Ignoring Battle Engine Symphony and Galv's scripts, you've to place the other scripts with the below order:

YEA Battle Engine/ Tsuki's Battle Reactions

YSA Battle System: Classical ATB/ Tsuki's Battle Reactions

DoubleX RMVXA Bug Fixes to YSA-CATB / Tsuki's Battle Reactions

DoubleX RMVXA Compatibility Fixes to YSA-CATB

Otherwise my fixes won't work :)

If you're following this ordering but the problem's still there, I may have to check those 2 Galv's scripts you're using :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  7. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My script order:

Battle Engine

Classical ATB

Tsuki's Battle Reactions

DoubleX RMVXA Bug Fixes to YSA-CATB

DoubleX RMVXA Compatibility Fixes to YSA-CATB

With this order, in my real game project, it produces the above screenshotted error.

With the same order, there are no errors in a clean project, not because it "fixed" the issue, but because my enemies refuse to use ANY other skills than attack. They will keep using attack, even if they don't have it on their skill list, lol.

Is that order above wrong?

I must mention that I am using over 260 scripts all together, and even if not many of them are battle scripts, some might interfere, I don't know. I just didn't have the will to switch them off, one by one. :D

The battle scripts I am using now in addition of the above mentioned:

Yami's Battle Symphony (with all addons)

Yami's Combo Counter

Galv's Battle Favour Meter

Galv's Timed Button Attacks

Yanfly's Cast Animations

Yanfly's Enemy Death Transform

Yanfly's Input Combo Skills (left-over, not really "using it" anymore)

Yanfly's State Animations

Yanfly's Element Damage Popups

Yanfly's Follow Up Skills

Yanfly's Random Skill Invoke

Yanfly's Weapon Attack Replace

Yanfly's Skill Steal (Yami's Edited Version)

Yanfly's Steal Items (not working well with something, so I turned it off)

Yanfly's Swap Monsters

Yanfly's Base Troop Events

Yanfly's Active Battle Advantage

Tsuki's Encounter Conditions

I think these are all the scripts modifying the battle in one way or another.

But not many of them touches 'forced actions', that's why I haven't mentioned them.

Ohh, and it might help if I tell you how I produced the error.

I made a wind element reflect state on my character using Yanfly's Element Reflect script.

I also made a reaction to the skill "Wind" on my character. The reaction was to use the "Recovery II" skill from the database.

So when an enemy hit that character with "Wind", it first reflects the "Wind" skill, than starts with reaction skill, which was "Recovery II" in this test.

The reflection part went well, but as soon as the reflection was made, the error popped up.

8. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Which version of the Tsuki's battle reactions script do you use currently? I made the compatibility fix just for the Jan 22 2014 version at that time and it won't work for older versions. For newer version though, I may have to check them myself as I didn't know it has updated a few more times before :)

9. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Lmao, I haven't even checked for newer versions of that script.

I am using an older version of it (sept 2013), which is the initial version apparently, so that might have been the problem indeed.

I usually check for updates on scripts, but I haven't worked on my battle scripts for a long time, and now when I finally decided to do some things with them, I kinda forgot to check for the updates.

And yes that was the problem! Just tested it with the newest version of Tsuki's Battle Reactions script (which is insanely more useful than the initial version), and it works like a charm!

Sorry for the trouble! Nothing is wrong with your fixes it seems! :)

Time to re-download all of Tsuki's scripts, it seems like he did a lot since I last got his scripts. *-*

10. DoubleX

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's good for me to know that my compatibility fix works for the newest version of the Battle Reactions as well. Actually I've just briefly tested that newest version with my fix so I was wondering if my fix doesn't work for the newest version anymore as I didn't run a thorough investigation :)

Anyway, the main point is, it seems that your issue's solved :D