Action Game Maker

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by alennor, May 9, 2018.

1. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It looks so cool! Being able to make Super Mario/Mega Man/Legend of Zelda style games will be a nice change of pace from the typically turned based battle systems of RPG Maker games.

Here's hoping they let us use the resources of Visual Novel Maker and RPG Maker with this new game.

kaukusaki and Emanzi like this.
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Apparently, it's a game now huh :p

MMMm likes this.
  3. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, making games is fun. :kaopride:

Emanzi likes this.
  4. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Absolutely, I think it comes with an RTP at least, one thing the rpg maker team do well is providing starter resources.

Oh and there’s 4 player local co-op right out the box. Really cool.

Frogboy and MMMm like this.
  5. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    From what I can see they use nodes to connect bits of logic together AND you can use JavaScript to expand on your games logic much like mv plugins.

6. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Emanzi

I've merged your thread with the already existing Pixel Game Maker MV thread.

Also, please don't double post (= posting right after yourself). Just use the 'Edit' button or the multiquote button.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Rukiri likes this.
  7. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Sorry about that, just a little exited. Thanks

8. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Someone made a video of it and it looks pretty good! It has an option for plugins also.

SmashArtist likes this.
  9. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Perhaps post in their steam forums as a bug report?

@TheoAllen it appears there is only nodes and eventing. Though you will be able to input javascript plugins.

10. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh well it sad, but ok. I just hope it can also be used to make some kind of Arena Shooter. Bcz the preview I'm getting are mostly platformer with 2D physics and gravity.

11. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's too early for me to be able to say what the engine is capable of yet, but I'll be testing around with it and seeing what it can do!

MMMm likes this.
  12. Skurge

Skurge " (GASP) What's going on!? " Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Unfortunately for me I had to refund this, for some reason the program thus far cannot allow me to import resources and a good portion of the program remains untranslated which is difficult for me to learn the capabilities of the program. I'm not sure if the problems I'm having on the technical side are things wrong with the program or i'm missing something which it fails to explain or provide instructions on what to do.
    I've tinkered with alot of programs even early stages of game maker and they provided alot of instructions which is probably what i'm just used to.

Given the fact that the RPG Maker team is behind this program i'm confident it will grow into a fully functional game dev tool and even improve on it's user friendly interface with the full package. From what i've seen I'm impressed on what it's capable of such as the demo games it has featured. It's just unfortunate it's current state seems to be more of "look at the program" but can't do anything with it. Again early access which I understand.

MMMm and SmashArtist like this.
  13. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    From what I understand Kadakowa is funding it, and it's developed by Playism or is it the other way around? i forgot :p

I played with it and spoilers... it's crap.
    So, instead of re-writing a rant of how bad it is from another forum I'll just copy my post.

Friend bought it for me, the tools/UI are basically utter trash... RPG Maker XPs UI is how old and still looks modern! QT in general is awful, I prefer and always have GTK/GTK+! QT feels like late 90 to early 00s... No thanks, lived thru that software era and I don't want to go back!

The Visual Scripting is also trash, seriously everyone should just copy Blueprints at this point... I don't hate visual scripting, blueprints, bolt(unity asset), and Flow-Graph(also a unity asset) show how good visual scripting can be and people LOVE blueprints...

I expected nothing to come really out of the particle effects as I always expected a basic system and that is what was shipped.

B- Tile Map Level Editor, good effort but kinda limited..

I literally give Pixel Game Maker MV an F... Constant crashes (so no matter how powerful your machine is it's the core programming at fault here), bugs that simply should not even be there... It's not even really localized at all... The fact there is 0 support or documentation on plugins is off putting scripters as there really isn't an API released right now to follow. Yes, you have Cocos2d-X as the backend but there is also LOADs of Pixel stuff that we also need to know.

They're not doing themselves any favor by having what a $17 discount for week on what is the full price of the engine? Also, wasn't the full price supposed to be $100?... Most engines that are beta usually release for free and then once released set the pricing.

I also want to point out that doing complex math in nodes is pointless... So you won't be writing complex algorithms for damage, knock backs, graphs, etc...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who can't comprehend game maker, how is the visual scripting easier? It's not, more complex, and of all things it's limited... You can't write algorithms like you can with Construct 3 or even Bolt (Unity Asset) which also is a visual scripting tool for well Unity.

The UI and UX designers need to be replaced, this is honestly the worst QT application I've ever seen... The entire Node/Visual Scripting system needs to be redone, it's just awfully done...

14. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I'm hoping it will improve like rpg maker mv. I remember mv had some big issues with crashing especially version 1.3.1 and before and the documentation for mv was bogus. Now it's mostly awesome.

So fingers crossed.

When is the release date? Also is it pixel game maker or action game maker?

15. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    From the Steam page: “The official release is planned for sometime in 2018.”
    Pixel Game Maker MV is the English name. Action Game Maker MV is the Japanese name.

16. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Ok. I'm guessing this Christmas hopefully with a discount sale.

17. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pixel game maker is already available for early access purchase on steam.

18. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I hate to say it as I'm a moderator here, but the reviews for the product disappeared overnight. There were 3 last night when I went to bed (2 negative, 1 positive) and now there are none. I hate to bring it up, but it looks like they are doing review culling here, which is an automatic no sale to me.

19. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Now that you mentioned about it, it did vanish. Last time I went to the store (yesterday?) there was one negative review because just how buggy it is. Now it's not there anymore.

Was going to buy, but I think I will hold after all of these.

20. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Really? I don't see that any of the reviews are gone, they are still there for me.