Skurge

" (GASP) What's going on!? "
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, I'm trying to configure attack patterns for a new enemy I'm working on but the conditions/status aren't at all doing what the program says it will.

I want this enemy to occasionally take cover which is the guard skill.
And the next ability is supposed to be the covering fire skill dependant if the enemy is already in the guard status, however regardless what rating or other I select- It never EVER does the skill I want.

Am I misinterpretingstate not working.png this?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
of course it doesn't - please read up on the help file how the rating works.

The highest active rating will be the center of the action pattern, and ONLY those skills with an rating within two points of that will be considered, the rest will be ignored.

That is why the default 5 for the attack pattern is absolutely stupid - that rating disables ratings 1 and 2 automatically, and since it's always on any skill with rate 1 or 2 will never be used as long as a rate 5 skill is active.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hm that is odd that even bother with it being defaulted to 5.
Although I sorta understand the rating system- I was playing with the numbers but I'm still to this point unsure as to why it never followed through with the covering fire ability despite being in the guard state.

It's a little different to how past programs handled ratings that I am used to since I'm starting now to experiment with battles.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a little different to how past programs handled ratings that I am used to
It is not a pure weight system - but it is what the makers have used for action patterns, Ace worked the same.
The enemy encounter tables on the maps for example use a pure weight system, it's only the action pattern that has this additional rule of "ignore values more than 2 points from the max).

On the other hand you need a way to disable skills in the patterns, it's just a bit odd how they implemented that.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah I never really used VX-VXace I found the program a little too lack luster compared to Xp which was a really well fleshed out product despite some minor drawbacks like a lack of a vehicle option etc. The battle visuals where very good how you could assign specific basic attack animations instead of the generic flash effect we deal with now.

From shoddy memory I think RPG 2003 used a weight system which made things easier but I'm assuming MV has it made this way for more technical and experienced programmers, I truly wish there was a conditional branch option of skills or something in the MV action patterns, would be very easy for me.

Currently i'm looking into how to disable said skills..

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the default way to disable is what you experienced here: activate skills that have a rating more than 2 points higher than the skill you want to activate.

I would suggest sorting skill patterns in groups of three based on 3 (1-3), 6 (4-6) and 9 (7-9), using 3 as the default attack, 6 (which disables 1-3) for special situations controlled by monster and 9 (which disables 1-6) for overrides when the player causes something.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm starting to get a better understanding but I am stuck on the 9 rating, what do you mean by when override when the player causes something?

For this enemy as an example;

3 (1-3 is the standard single/burst fire attacks)
6 (4-6 which initiates the guard/cover ability cancelling out 1-3 in the next move)

and lastly 9 which from what I gather is supposed to cancel out 1-3's attacks and a repeat of 4-6 guarding ability leaving only covering fire skill? But I am unsure how the player can causes something when there is no condition for a player besides level and or switch.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a lot of work, but you can have action patterns for something like "induced behaviour" instead of using the default state restrictions.
For example the default confusion state makes the enemy use the attack skill on random targets - but only the attack skill, nothing else.
If you remove the "attack anyone" restriction from the state and making it do nothing, then you can define that state as the condition for a specific enemy attack pattern to be used when the enemy is "confused", and the same with other effects placed by skills of the player.

The downside of using such an override is that you either need to give every enemy such a pattern (because the state no longer does anything) or have the paralyse skill apply two different confusion states and make each enemy immune to one of them (depending on whether it has the action pattern for confusion or not).
That is why I mentioned that it is a lot of work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The end is near. The end is near. The MV era will be passed and people will look the forum about new RPG maker all days. Let go people the maker is not ready to publicly display yet.
C&C Remastered comes out tomorrow! Hyped! Already have it preinstalled on Steam.
Its ironic, how often a person can have something smart to say, when their arrogance is originating from an internal vacuum where emotional intelligence belongs.
Parallax mapping is time consuming...
Let's purchase th... WAIT! Just in time ehehehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThimbleBerry