Lagruej

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Gretting everybody, I'm here humbly requesting help. I need a script that has a small array where I can can assign different but similar functions that relate to feedback to the player for health/status:

-At a predefined health percentage, shake screen and flash defineable 0,0,0,0 colour.
-Have Status Effect ID XXX, shake screen and flash defineable 0,0,0,0 colour.
-Have Status Effect ID XXX temporarily change the player's sprite (and properly revert upon expiry)
-Have Status Effect ID XXX overlay preselected picture on screen.

I know this is 100% creatable with events, I did it with parallel common events. My issue is that I need realtime checking, and having a parallel common event this complex leads to frame skip (I have tried wait commands to slow checking, but this makes checking not truly realtime and instead noticeably off time). Since my game is an ABS, this is especially egregious. I think a script should be able to alleviate that.

I don't know how complex of an ask this is, these are all basic RPG Maker functions but know now that your efforts would be eternally lauded. I have nothing but the utmost respect for scripters and wouldn't ask them to waste time on something unless I thought it was the only way.

Thank you in advance.

-Revival

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Out of interest, how long did you make your Waits? If you just do a 1 frame wait, you should be able to see near-real-time checking without any lag. Keep in mind that it takes time for the screen to shake and flash, so if you are still doing checks and telling it again to shake and flash while it's still trying to do the first one, that could look odd. You're going to have to determine how to handle that, whether you use a parallel process common event or a script.

Are you only using a single actor, or do you have a whole party? Is this script to do the things you listed if ANY party member meets those conditions, or only a certain actor, or only the leader?

Is the screen shake and flashing to be constant while the HP or status conditions are true? Or should they be intermittent - say every 10 seconds or something (a bit like the poison effect)? If several conditions are true at the same time, do all effects happen, or is there a priority order so only one happens? For example, the first two conditions both cause the screen to shake and flash, but you can't flash two different colors at the same time.

Lagruej

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I realize now that my initial post does not even begin to explain the predicament I'm in. The frame skip is symptomatic of my ABS engine, which is a hobbled frankenstein and so parallel events are much more burdensome. I've had other functions adapted to scripts with very positive performance results. I also realize I woefully failed to explain and omitted functions I needed, and thus I will instead provide photos showing what I need in script form. Hopefully these do a better job explaining than I can.

In the ABS I use, states exist on frame based timers of frames, e.g. player can be frozen 240 frames. There is only one party member, however it can be one of 3 actors so targeting 'player' is ideal.

In regard to my ABS, the way it plays with Parallel Common Events that are always running, less frequent checks = better performance. The problem is this hurts accuracy of effect changes. Although these disruptions only happen over 0-60 frames, it is annoying. The player's frozen state could end, but it could take 60 frames to resolve and remove the picture if the check happened on the last frame before status expiry, it seems like a rare scenario but it happens very often in practice. This quickly piles up to a jittery experience.

I've tried 1 frame waits and the game just eats it. 60 it plays well mostly, but the frame skips and desynch of states is real. I'm assuming that the complexity is the issue - but it would also be equally problematic to break it up into 6 concurrent parallel events.

All of these things should be able to happen to the player at the same time with the exception of the Health Indicator and Regen, in which case Regen should take priority (labeled Veil in pics). Otherwise all effects including picture overlays need to be non-conflicting as they currently are. Lastly I need the ability to assign a switch that gets this all fired up as my game starts without these things running until the first mission.

If I can provide any more info I will do my best and I am truly sorry for my inability to explain this.

Attachments

• Veil.png
    Veil.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Cloak.png
    Cloak.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Frozen.png
    Frozen.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Shielding.png
    Shielding.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Tagged.png
    Tagged.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 2
  • HealthIndicator.png
    HealthIndicator.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guess I had to do something related to xmas... :kaoswt2:
SWZtrkz.jpg
"16. Do NOT contact other members by private message, on the forum or status feed, inviting them to put additional tools (such as leaderboards, ads, etc - whether yours or another person's) into their game."
Oh no. Necessity is the mother of invention. Do I want to know what happened?
Early WIP for my next entry. Since it's early you're going to need to wait a little longer than usual. What's that? You'll find out in my next update!
12.PNG
20 festive cards can now be unlocked in BiteMe!

The cards are permanent, but can only be unlocked in December!
Once the year is over, you won't be able to unlock the cards, or to upgrade it.
https://johndoenews.itch.io/biteme-storymodeCard141-160-Ad.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seafarer