Actor Commands: List all available Skills without the Skill Type item/tree/sub-menu

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by SolemnDream, Mar 28, 2016.

1. SolemnDream

SolemnDream Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm trying to make a game that abolishes the use of "Skill Types". I want all Skills to be in one Skill Type pool, and I don't want to have to select a Skill Type in battles' Commands list before choosing the Skill itself.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for a way to change the in-battle Actor Commands to a list of all Skills that the Actor knows, without displaying or choosing the Skill Type or its sub-menu. But I can't find anything of the sort. While there are scripts that allow me to modify the Commands list, they won't work for me. Those scripts only allow me to set static Commands for each Actor/Class, whereas my Classes will be changing their known Skills often. So like I said, I need the list of in-battle Commands to show all available Skills, without a Skill Type tree or sub-menu.

For example, I want to see:

• Fire

• Lightning

• Heal

• Guard

• [Plus I'll have the non-Skill Command "Items"] -> Pop-up window -> Potion, Ether

This kind of script would also be highly desirable for a Pokémon game. You could have:

• Tackle
    • Growl
    • Leech Seed
    • Vine Whip
    • Items -> Pop-up window -> Potion, Cheri Berry

In both scenarios, the Actor's available Skills will change later; but he'll still be the same Actor and in the same Class. So basically the Skills in the Commands list must automatically change to what's available for that Actor.

I do NOT want to see the default Command list, which is something like:

• Black Magic -> Pop-up window -> Fire, Lightning

• White Magic -> Pop-up window -> Heal

• Guard

• Items -> Pop-up window -> Potion, Ether

We can list the Skills in the Commands window in order of Skill ID or whatever. The main point is, Skill Types as a whole are useless to me and the Skill Types pop-up menu in battle is making presentation. This thing is keeping me from moving on with my game's development. Thanks a ton for any support.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    did you search?  I'm SURE there are already scripts out there that do this (in fact, I think I may have written one of them).  Search the forums here (not Google), and check the Master Script List.

3. SolemnDream

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I did search. For days. Yeah, I looked through every script. I already said what those scripts don't do-- they don't allow all available commands to show up in the Command list. Instead, they just make you choose static commands by ID. So commands in the menu stay the same even if the actor doesn't

have that skill anymore.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know that Yanfly's command manager is static, but Tsukihime wrote several different command manager scripts over the years and if I remember correctly one of those had script commands for dynamic changes. But using that method (one script call for each change) would be a lot of work whenever the list changes...

5. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    Lets get it right here, you want the skills to be categorized, but don't want them to be shown separated only in battle right?

Or you just don't want them to be shown separately anywhere?

By default the skill menu and the battle skill selection window is shared, they are the same just auto-resized. So changing one effect the other unless we build a new window for it.

The battle skill selection window also has a chance of crashing the game on its 1st time loading when you are using custom fonts, especially when you have tons of skills that try to load at once. It's a known behaviour (random bug) that happens when you are low on memory, and what you are asking here might add to the chance of that crash to happen. If that's ok for you, then look for the master script list for a all skill list, there should be at least a few there(Tsukihime has one that helps you make a list that share the same skill id). Then use another script like yanfly's to hide the other skill category you don't want from there, allowing only the all skill list.

6. SolemnDream

First Language:
    English

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but the only thing that really matters right now is the battle commands window. I don't care what happens to other windows for the time being. I need the battle commands window to show available skills without having to choose a type first. And then I need those commands to change dynamically when new skills become available or old skills become unavailable.

It seems like something that should have been built into RPG Maker. You know, the ability to choose whether you actually use Skill Types at all or not. But then again, the more I work with RPG Maker, the more I realize the software is really inflexible, and there really aren't a lot of scripts for specific needs in the grand scheme of things...

I mean, just basic things like being able to create turn-based HP absorption instead of one-time, or to cleanly remove the TP or MP bars with a couple ciicks, or the ability to rearrange windows slightly. Or have more flexibility for menu SFX. All sorts of basic stuff. The more specific your vision, the more inflexible RPG Maker seems. And hey, I'm using it because I'm no programmer or artist. I'm a writer/director-- and a dayum good one at that. Makes me wonder if anyone's ever going to respond to my recruitment threads... But I digress.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
  7. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    In that case, build all your skill in one category, one list. All can be done in the database editor alone.

8. SolemnDream

First Language:
    English

Sure, but... I need skills to show up under "Attack", for example.

9. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    If that's the case, it's not the skill window you are looking to modify but the battle command window itself.

There are lot of battle command scripts in the master script list and some offer exactly what you want there, just make sure you use only 1 category to ease the processing power. Since scripts involving battle command window are highly incompatible with each other, it's best you choose only one and stick with it.

10. SolemnDream

First Language:
    English

You know, I'm really fighting not being mean on the forums. Because I give details, and then people don't read them, and then they suggest something that I said in the original post wasn't enough, and then I say "but X", and then they say "did you check the Master Script List", and I say "yes, several times", and then no one responds anymore to the topic.

Specifically, yeah, I did say I wanted to modify battle commands in the original post. I even gave an example that was clearly battle commands. I also said I searched everywhere and looked at a bunch of scripts. And yes, I did look in the Master Script List. Yes, I did try those scripts. Yes, I did modify those scripts. I work for days trying to figure out each little function to no avail.

Now the question is-- is this topic even going to be replied to anymore? Because it's just an endless cycle anytime I post on any RPG Maker support forum. They say you're supposed to give details, but the more details I give, the more nobody reads them.

11. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can try this:

class Window_ActorCommand < Window_Command

def add_skill_commands
    @actor.skills.each do |skill|
    add_command(skill.name, :skill, true, skill)
    end
    end

end

class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base

def command_skill
    @skill = @actor_command_window.current_ext
    BattleManager.actor.input.set_skill(@skill.id)
    BattleManager.actor.last_skill.object = @skill
    if !@skill.need_selection?
    next_command
    elsif @skill.for_opponent?
    select_enemy_selection
    else
    select_actor_selection
    end
    end

def on_enemy_cancel
    @enemy_window.hide
    case @actor_command_window.current_symbol
    when :attack, :skill
    @actor_command_window.activate
    when :item
    @item_window.activate
    end
    end

def on_actor_cancel
    @actor_window.hide
    case @actor_command_window.current_symbol
    when :skill
    @actor_command_window.activate
    when :item
    @item_window.activate
    end
    end

end

Insert it between the Materials and Main slots.

You did not write anything about the help window for skills, or any other things you might want to change (like, do you really need the "Attack" and the "Guard" command with this system), so I did not change the default behaviour of anything other than what you mentioned.

This snippet adds all the skills the actor has to the actor command window, and removes the skill type selection command. No other changes are included in it.

Look, I replied! :p

SolemnDream likes this.
  12. SolemnDream

First Language:
    English

Dude, you are my hero. Though I will be removing Attack and Guard. Though I'm going to see if I can do that myself first...

UPDATE: It works! Oh my god, I owe you. Thanks so much!

Also, in the primary game menu, it shows your party to the right, and to the left "Items, Skills, Equipment, Status, Party, Save, Game End". If I select "Skills" and then the Actor, it will display the actor's Skill list. The left-middle window still shows Skill Types. Is there a way to bypass that window altogether? Or is there at least a way to show only Skill Types that have a currently-known Skill in them, instead of all added Skill Types?

13. MeowFace

MeowFace Meow Veteran

First Language:
    Meowish
    That's because those that replied get a few hit of "solution" when looking up the master script list, clearly showing that you didn't look well enough. And those being active around have been lied to too many times about that, so you know, can't blame them to leave the topic when a quick search pops up a few links there. And don't expect them to look into each script and try them out for you just to tell you it works. ;)

If you are out of patient waiting for a free script done, you can always try the classified board and open a job commission there.

Like Shaz said, just request is common and have been done over and over again here in the request board, and it's only a small change of code so i doubt anyone bother to re-post it as a single topic of its own. I've written one myself for skill window to show all skills at once somewhere here in the request board, that's why i am checking if you are into the skill window or battle command window.

But i see you got your solution there already and congratulation on your progress! ;)  

14. SolemnDream

First Language:
    English
    I'm not actually done with this, though...

15. SolemnDream

First Language:
    English
    Alright, guys. "Closing" this topic, but I still have another half of this script to ask about in another topic. Thanks a ton!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016