Wisp Charmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! :)

I was wondering if someone would be willing to help me with the creation of a character idle animation script? In a sense, I am looking for a simplified version of Galv's Character Animation script, with a few bits of added customization.

Essentially, I'm looking for the the script to display an idle animation after a set number of frames (I'm looking at 300, but I'd really appreciate if this is customisable so I could fiddle with it).Unlike Galv's script (as well as a similar script from Victor Sant), I'd like to assign the idle animation via the script module, or actor notetag opposed to file name. Something along the lines of <idle: People1, 1, left> as a notetag to set that actor's idle animation to the first sprite group of People1, facing left. Other than that, having the ability to disable idle animations for cut scenes (a switch perhaps, that or disabling it during text boxes would work well too) would be very handy. Although not required, the ability to activate an actor specific common event after so long of idling would be nifty too.

That pretty much sums up the main gist of what I'm looking for. Don't hesitate to as any questions if I didn't explain anything fully, and thank you for taking the time to read my request! :)

ZServ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Don't think you need a script for this, actually. A parallel process *should* do the job.

if player isnt moving, turn switch on

if player isnt moving and switch is on, add +1 to variable

if player isnt moving, what's the value of the variable? if over 300, change character image, set move route shenanigans

if player presses a key/blahblahblah, set variable to 0, turn switch off, change character image

Sorry if I wasn't helpful!

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
What @ZServ said is true, you get to set up a complicated idle animation using eventing alone.

To be more specific:

[1] You need a common event on parallel that checks for condition using a script call:

$game_player.moving?

So when player is moving, reset variable X to 0 (Control Variable [X] = 0)

when the player is not moving, Control Variable [X] += 1

[2] Next have the conditional branch check if Variable [X] is bigger than 300,

if it's bigger than 300 turn on another switch that runs another set of Common Event set to parallel (Have all your idle animations here).

if it's smaller than 300, turn the switch off.

That's all you need to set up the basic idle condition check.

As for the animations, you can set your party to move around in a circle and do a small chit-chat, or have them jump up and down/move randomly all around the places/pop up balloons, etc etc. The imagination is your limit there and it's much easier than changing the charset sprite. And the party controller script can help you build such scenarios easily:

Or you can simply change the charset sprite(graphic) of each actor so they start playing the idle animation graphic instead, and have it changed back when you turn off the switch.

Vis_Mage

Wisp Charmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A bit late on my part, but thank you for providing such detailed instructions! :D

Leonade773x

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What @ZServ said is true, you get to set up a complicated idle animation using eventing alone.

To be more specific:

[1] You need a common event on parallel that checks for condition using a script call:

$game_player.moving?

So when player is moving, reset variable X to 0 (Control Variable [X] = 0)

when the player is not moving, Control Variable [X] += 1

[2] Next have the conditional branch check if Variable [X] is bigger than 300,

if it's bigger than 300 turn on another switch that runs another set of Common Event set to parallel (Have all your idle animations here).

if it's smaller than 300, turn the switch off.

That's all you need to set up the basic idle condition check.

As for the animations, you can set your party to move around in a circle and do a small chit-chat, or have them jump up and down/move randomly all around the places/pop up balloons, etc etc. The imagination is your limit there and it's much easier than changing the charset sprite. And the party controller script can help you build such scenarios easily:

Or you can simply change the charset sprite(graphic) of each actor so they start playing the idle animation graphic instead, and have it changed back when you turn off the switch.
Hello, it's 2021 and i'm so late with rpg maker mv, could you show an image sample of the event notes for this idle event, i'm not really a coder but i love to make a game, thank you

Leonade773x

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're welcome!
Hello. I tried to make an event, it goes like this but encountered an error, pls help me make it right? I'm using rpg maker mv

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_084330.jpg
    IMG_20210624_084330.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210624_084424~2.jpg
    IMG_20210624_084424~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210624_085257.jpg
    IMG_20210624_085257.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 6

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is for VX Ace, not MV.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

@Leonade773x, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Please make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.
finally got footage of my main character running around the main hub world. I've fixed a few things tho even since this video unsurprisingly lol.
 …I think I might need to switch from standard ATK/DEF up/down buffs to parameter altering states. I just had an actor whose usual attack against an enemy does ~25 do a buffed attack against a debuffed enemy for ~600…
just saw that titan quest is free on steam until the 23rd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shin092