Actor not moving toward images

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by nomron, Aug 9, 2016.

1. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello! I have an issue in RPG Maker MV where I have some images, but they constantly stay the same spot on the screen, and I need it so that your player can be touching the images.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

That is completely correct - images are intended to stay on the same screen position, and you should not change that unless you really know what you're doing.

If you want something to happen on the map, you should use events for that.

Unfortunately you do not give enough information to guide you to the correct way, because you only say how you want to do, but not what you want to do.

Please give a better description, then we can tell you how to solve your problem - and that solution would most probably not involve any show picture at all.

3. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I think I have a solution.

4. Eilwyn

Eilwyn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know you said you think you have a solution and all but, just in case...

I've had this problem myself before.  If I'm not mistaken, the way to solve it was to add an ! at the beginning of the filename for the picture.  So instead of "picture.png" you'd call "!picture.png".

Hope this helps.

5. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the advice, but it did not work. And that solution won't work either...there is another way of doing this, but I would have to delete some of my stuff and it would be much more complicated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @nomron

but perhaps not - perhaps we know of an easy way to do what you want.

But you need to tell us what you want to do before we can even guess how to do that.

7. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Basically I want the image to be fixed to the ground.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    why would you want that? what is that picture?

Because if you want something on the ground, you should place it in the tileset and place it on the map directly.

Yes, there are scripts/plugins to synchronise the map with pictures, but those work for a specific purpose (for example to allow parallax mapping), and would cause problems if used in other context. That is why we need to know what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

9. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I want it so the player can walk around, and hover over the image, and also be able to walk away from the image, so when the player is on the image he/she can press a key and start a game, so it has the effect that the image is button you can press.

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    format the image as an sprite and use an event to display it, place the event code of the game in the events content and set its trigger to "action button".

That is all you need to do, you should never use the show picture command for placing buttons or so, because you cannot interact with pictures.

And event (that is what you interact with) have a different method to display things.

EDIT: I strongly suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and work through the tutorials to learn what command is best use where.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  11. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    But the image I want to use is bigger than an event, so will it still work?

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sprites have no size restrictions, if the sprite is bigger than the event, only the editor cuts it off because you need to be able to access the other positions next to it. But ingame it will be displayed at full size if the sprite has been done correctly.

as for the activation, only the original event part will trigger by default - but you can either use a plugin for large event triggers or use several invisible events on the other positions.

Both alternatives have been used in the past, which one is better depends on the size and form of your sprite.

13. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you!

14. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I have another problem now, when I use my image it tries to select a certain bit of it, which is only like 3x2 pixels, and in-game when I use the event I get an error message saying that it couldn't load the image.

15. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have a 'Teaser' hosted which uses a Map of the Game as a graphic 'menu', over which the Hero walks, and chooses a destination (a Demo of part of the Game...). Here's a screen shot...

[​IMG]

To do this, I specified the image (previously created to the dimensions of my Game...) as the Picture to be shown as a Parallax Background. I created Events at each relevant point of my Menu Map (giving them a sparkling animation, so they would show up more...) which trigger a choice of going to that destination or not. It's simple to do, and works well enough...

Is this the kind of effect you're looking for..?

16. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can't use a simple image for an event - that's why I said it needs to be reformatted into a sprite format (3x4 variants, with a 3-frame-animation)

And we can't tell you what went wrong with your event unless you post a screenshot of it.

However, "can't load" is usually an indicator for a filename containing letters that are only allowed by windows but illegal in a networking environment.

Again, for better help we need more info from you.

17. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well what letters can I use? And what info do you need? And how do I turn an image into a  "sprite"?

18. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    any letters that are allowed in a network name - which means no spaces, no special symbols other than a very few, only western letters.

check the existing sprites that are selectable for events and actors - a sprite needs 3x4 pictures of the same size, the four directions and three frames od animation in each direction. The simplest way would be to copy your picture until it is 3x4 times in one larger picture. If you want an animation effect, don't place identical pictures next to each other but use the three animation frames for slightly different variants

And as said I would need screenshots of the event you have problems with, and/or the picture itself if you have problems with it.

And I really suggest you work through the tutorials I pointed you to - yes, that will take several weeks of your time if you're doing it right. But it has been proven again and again that this is the fastest way to learn the engines - all people that tried to learn "on the go" later admitted that they made a lot of mistakes and wasted a lot of time working the wrong way.

19. nomron

nomron Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, I don't have several weeks. I'm trying to get a starter game done in 20 days, and I have about 10 left. I don't need anything fancy, just something playable. I very easily could make a normal intro screen, but I want my first game to be kind of unique, so I might do something a little bit different that is more advanced, but I could have it done in a short amount of time. I think I might do that, unless I get a very simple solution that works recommended to me within the next hour or so. I still only have the trial.

20. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Have a look at the 'New Game' screen of this 'Teaser' which, I think, does exactly what you've described: walking over a picture and selecting 'buttons' on it...

Rachdale Cheese Teaser...

If this is the sort of thing you're looking for, we can easily help you to do something similar; it's not that hard.