nomron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, that would work. How do you do that?

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@nomron ...

I started out with a new Map, default sized (17 x 13...). Multiplying by 48 (the size of each tile...), I created a picture, 816 x 756. This picture is saved to the Project's Parallax folder. I edited the Map to have it use this picture as a Parallax background. From then on, it's simply a matter of placing Events as one would normally, using the 17 x 13 grid, and having these Events react to the Hero, either by Action Button, or Player Touch; whatever suits your needs. These Events can have their own graphic; if any other graphic information is required, it would have to have been included in the original background picture. If that's the case, draw these 'background' details respecting the 48-pixel grid, so that they align with their associated  Events.

Of course, the Events will reflect your Game; mine simply shine brightly until triggered, when they ask if the Hero wishes to go to another Map. If so, the Transfer is effected; upon leaving the other Map, the Hero is brought back to this Menu Map to continue exploration.

Is any more information required..? It's possible to make available a cut-down version of this as a Project, if that would help. Feel free to ask for more if required...

nomron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you! This should work.

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you! This should work.

My humble apologies; I've omitted an important step..! Nothing too dramatic, but still...

Before creating the new Map, I went to the Database and copied the Overworld Tileset, naming the copy 'Overworld_Menu_Map'. I then edited this new Tileset, removing the A1 (Animation...) and A2 (Ground...) Tilesets. I put into the A2 slot the World A2 Tileset instead. Why..? Because I needed the Hero to be able to move freely over the whole Map, and a Ground is needed for this. As it happens, the Overworld Tileset does not have a Transparent Tile, but the World A2 does..! I used the top row,  sixth Tile from the left for this, and drew a rectangle, covering the whole 17 x 13 Map, with this Tile. The result, before adding the Parallax picture, is a Hero that can now roam freely over an (apparently...) empty Map. Once the Parallax image is in place (in fact, it's beneath the Ground...), it gives the impression of walking over the image.

Sorry; hope this is clear enough..?

Last edited by a moderator:

nomron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Huh? I think it should work without that, and it confuses me anyhow.

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Huh? I think it should work without that, and it confuses me anyhow.

Again, sorry, but it's easy to try, anyway. In your Project (or a 'Test' one..?), create a new, empty, Map. Place the Hero on this new Map at start of Game, then Play. You'll find that the Hero cannot move, as there is no Ground as yet.

Now, edit the Map, using Grass, or Sand from the Tileset, then Play. The Hero is now free to move about..! Success..! Well, not quite, as any parallax image now added will be beneath the ground, as so invisible..! Darn it, maybe we shouldn't have used Grass, or Sand..? It would be fine if we could choose another Tile instead which was Transparent, so that the picture would show through. It would indeed, but there isn't one. Drat..!

It would, however, suffice to simply change the Tileset used by your Map, to Outside..! Yes, that would do the trick, as long as you can identify the Transparent one. Well, using the standard Outside Tileset, it's the 3rd row, 6th from the left on the 'A' sheet. Draw a rectangle with that, and the Hero can move, but the image is now visible..!

Does that help..?

Last edited by a moderator:

nomron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm, my player can move without the invisible ground, and can walk on the image in the background. I think I have it sorted out though. Also, not trying to be a jerk, but if you're in playing the game I will post an article about it when it is released.

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
R91KekF.gif

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For now it is in testing phase: Changing the game icon from Rm2k/2k3 without needing to edit the executable.
Rm2k-DinChangeIcon.png
When there's a will, there's a lifehack. :ninja:

Before i mess with battle UI further, does it look decent enough? :hswt:
Free MZ? That's good. I should go try it out then.
Let's see if I can make it in time xD
Knipsel.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TyRo87