Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas07

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
This isn't a script request per se - at least not yet - this topic currently exists just to question whether or not this sort of thing is possible using a script.

Basically, I was using Khas' Awesome Lighting Script (as a lot of people do, it's great) and when I realized that the 'lantern' the character carries around with them is made just by slapping a pre-made PNG on top of the actor graphic, I got to thinking - would it be possible to overlay different 'outfits' on top of a character in the same way, effectively allowing them to change what they're wearing?

Please note that this isn't a request for someone to edit Khas' script - that would likely cause issues regarding the actual lighting effects. It was simply where I got the idea, and I included it to give any who may respond to this topic a better idea of my line of thinking. Of course, this script would have to differ from Khas' in that the graphic would not only have to change with direction (like Khas' flashlights do) but they would have to have a 'walking' animation for when the player moves.

Additionally, this graphic would have to update every time a character equipped a new piece of 'armor'. It would be spectacular if multiple graphics could be layered so that the player can change their chest, leg, hand and head equipment (for example) and have that reflected in their graphic, but if that proves too complex/computer-taxing than just having the graphic depend on their Bodygear would make the most sense. Please note that I'm currently using Yanfly's Equip Engine; I don't know if that makes things harder or easier or changes nothing at all but it felt worth mentioning.

For example, the player character equips the Dragon Armor body-gear (random example off the top of my head) and the 'overlay' PNG would change to be whatever the Dragon Armor looks like, effectively having the character 'wear' it.

I hope this question was specific enough (and in the right place) but if not I would be happy to re-word it to clarify. First things first - is this idea possible? Or is it just beyond the engine entirely?

Thanks in advance! It's a wonderful community we have here.

EDIT: Thanks to the two of you! It took a bit of digging, but I managed to find a script that is both easily configurable and accomplished more than I could ever ask for; for those interested, it's

modern algebra's "Composite Graphics / Visual Equipment" script. Very comfortable to work with and comes with extensive instructions in the script itself. I'm more than satisfied. Can't believe I couldn't find anything like this before!

Thanks again. I'm going to mark this topic as resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Anything is possible with scripting as long as the engine can take it, so, no 3D graphics or any other heavy graphic stuff, but everything else can be done.

I made one script like that for a commission, and I know that there are some scripts out there doing what you asked. I forgot the author of the script I saw, but you can search for it, try the keywords "visual equipment".

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Try to look at Victor's scripts... I'm pretty there was something there that was called Visual Equipments. I also made one for my chicken games but it's pretty much made to work specifically for that game instead of a general thingie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

After years of relying on others and the community to help with making my games, I've decided to delve into the world of scripting. Thought I'd share a few simple scripts that I made that I'm very proud of and excited about!

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffstsa