West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QbG5bFUy0pY/USvke99SHFI/AAAAAAAAAIc/3f3AsUxMLqk/s1600/JapTitleCard.jpg[/IMG]
V.6.0.0

Welcome. This will be a thread used to track the early and pre-release development stages of the RPG 'Addenda.' Initially the thread might look a little bare, but it will be updated continually over time for the next year. Hopefully I can keep the updates coming frequently enough to ensure the thread remains a little fresh!
To allow people to keep up to date, when I make additions to this page, I'll change the "version number" up above. This way you can instantly know whether or not something new has been added.

Introduction - What is Addenda?

Addenda is my first Roleplaying game in RPGMaker VX Ace, and I intend to use it both as a way of establishing myself within the community and as a way of learning my way around the program to improve my skills for future endeavors.

My goals for the project intend it to be a huge game. I mean absolutely giant. My current minimum playtime is amed to be 20 hours which would be for the Main Storyline only. This means that the playtime does not account for how long you would spend exploring and taking part in side-quests. Factoring in those, my hope is to double the playtime to 40 hours, if not just under.

The Addenda Player Survey!

If you've tested this game, or played it for any period of time, please take a few minutes to fill out this short survey so I can better understand your experience of it!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KHSVXFR

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img138/7088/theworldl.jpg[/IMG]

Addenda's world is in a Fantasy setting reminiscent of Final Fantasy. Of course, I'll be using the default tilesets with only minor alterations (I want future projects to be almost entirely custom, but for now it will save a little time to use the Default graphics.)

It's a vast, expansive world and although it's people refer to it as Earth it is a very different world covered with many terrains and peoples which the player can explore and interact with in great detail. Inspired by games like Broken Sword where the player would be examine virtually everything in the scenery, I've tried to ape this in my game, both to add some depth to the world (and the characters), but also to players a reason to explore every nook and cranny beyond simple loot.
The world of Addenda is one of danger. It is covered in dangerous beasts (called simply 'Monsters') that are much like incredibly dangerous versions of animals. 

Once, long ago, the Monsters were far too many in number, and would attack settlements often. So, to combat this, the Kingdom of Lord Amat created The Army of Man. He created many allies with other settlements and peoples, merging all their warriors together as one force. Over time, this army managed to create safety in the land, and when the Monsters learned to stay away from settlements, the Army's purpose soon turned to a more poltical one. 150,000 well-armed soldiers trained in various ways to murder were now left without a goal. At this time, there was poltical worry in the house of Lord Amat. His son was of age and he and his father had radically different views on the world. It was never revealed publically, but when the news of Lord Amat's death spread, everyone assumed he had been killed by the next heir to the throne; his son Kain. 

Kain sought to create a Kingdom. Using the strength of the Army of Man, he established The Kingdom of Man, and ruled his lands with an iron fist. Any settlements that would not align themselves under the banner of his Kingdom would be executed, their young would be taken by the Army and indoctrinated into becoming soldiers, then, as further wicked punishment, they would be sent to kill whoever remained of their people that were still not under the banner of Kain. There was no force in the world to stop him, not physical or magical. His army grew far too big and they were considered zealots, fighting in a holy crusade for their leader. 

Fifty years after Kain's death and the world is left in poltical tatters. Kain left no son to take his throne (probably out of fear of assassination) and thus the leader of The Kingdom of Man became a group of unelected councilmen who exist only to fill the void; and who are all completely both to rule a country and to clean up the mess that Kain left behind with his Kingdom of death and destruction. A bitter power struggle exists between the councilmen and Alasdair, General of the Army of Man. 
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img507/5936/storym.jpg[/IMG]
Before reading, try to understand that I've tried my damndest to write this without spoiling anything! I want players to understand that there is a plot out there that's far bigger than you might expect, and although you might think you know how this story goes, I can promise there will be many twists and turns you will not see coming...

The plot of Addenda starts with our hero Joseph finding himself in the town of Kiria. Completely unaware of how he actually came to be there, he decides to seek out answers and discovers that not only is he very far from home -- he's in an entirely new world with strange people, rules and systems.

Exploring the town leads Joseph to find Kirk, a wise Mage, who reveals to him that he isn't the first person to arrive in the town with no recollection of going there. In fact, Kirk is so used to people appearing int his manner, that he simply refers to these people as "them" as if they were a daily occurence.

Kirk explains that Joseph has bigger problems than his amnesia, though. The town of Kiria has been attacked by monsters. Kirk wants to head to East Kiria to escape the invading monsters and warn other near-by settlements that they are in danger. Joseph, understanding the danger, allies himself with Kirk.

Kirk sees that Joseph is indeed foreign to the world as he has no knowledge of the common elements: like magic. Using a simple spell, Kirk imbues Joseph with some basic battle-knowledge to prepare him for the journey ahead, and the two set ahead on their journey both to warn others of the impending monster attacks, and to find answers about Josephs appearence in Kiria.

What follows is a long journey that takes players through the expansive world, introducing them to various people who will help them in their quest and who may even need helped as well. Travelling onward, Joseph and his party will learn the motives behind the monster invasion and they will discover why Joseph (and the other Amnesiacs) came to the world.
Players will experience a large plot revolving around three pillars: The Kingdom of Man, The Monster invasion and the mysterious legend of the ancient 'tower of souls.' These three seperate but crucial plots tie in together, but the player has the choice of exactly how much of it they really want to explore. 
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img19/2/charactersv.jpg[/IMG]

Note: these bios are intentionally left short or otherwise ambiguous in specific areas as some details may be important to the plot, or I feel that they only work in the narrative when explored at the correct time in the script. I'm excited about the game's story and how people might react to it, so I want to keep as many thingsas possible a surprise !

Joseph:
Full name: Joseph Mason
Sex: Male

Joseph is a young and confident man, and although he's found himself in a dangerous new world, he remains optimistic that he can find the answers he desperately seeks. Though at times he can seem a little childish, he has a warriors spirit residing within, and when the time calls for it, he can be a great leader.
Kirk
Full name: 'Kirk Williams'

Kirk is a scholar of magic, and has a rather religious view of it. At times he can come off as an elitist, claiming the magic is the be-all-end-all cure to all the world's problems, and he is disapproving of anyone who disregards it's uses or considers it anything other than an ethical practice to learn.
Despite this, he is well-meaning, and will always help those in need. Those who know him would describe him as a protective and trustworthy man, highly intelligent and caring. Although, he can be a little 'wordy' much to the chagrin of others.
Nephi

Full Name: Nephi [last name unknown]

Sex: Female

Nephi is a mysterious child. She displays a carefree attitude and the naivety of someone her age, but when she jumps into combat Nephi displays skills and battle knowledge of a warrior decades older than her. 
Carmach

Full Name: Carmach "Whistler" Gree

Carmach is a veteran of war and ex-soldier for the Army of Man. He spends his days roaming and drinking. Although he hasn't battled in many years, his skills are still as strong. He tends to protray himself as a battle-shy drunkard, but when pushed into a corner he becomes a calculating master of combat. Known for his songs in battle which boosted the strength and morale of his fellow soldiers, Carmach is a legendary warrior who's name is now fading away from legend to myth to obscurity. And that's just how he likes it.
Neir
Full name: Neir Vala
Sex: Female

Neir is a rogueish Witchhunter. Dangerous with magic, and a deadly shot with a gun, Neir has earned a reputation as the most prolific name in Witchunting. Growing up as the daughter of a banker, she always intended to take over the family Bank, but when her family was killed, her soul filled with darkness. Learning that her family may have been killed as a result of magic, she began to form a plan for revenge and hunted down all the magic-users she could find for information. Over time, she realised she could make a nice profit doing something she loved: killing evil magic-users. It is this that has created her infamy as a Witchunter, and today she still hunts mercilessly for those responsible for her family's death.
Doro

Full Name: Doro [Last name unknown]

Doro is an energetic and fast-witted Thief. He talks and presents himself as an over-confident, obnoxious joker. Despite not being entirely fond of him, he is intrigued by Joseph (and the possible riches he may have), and so periodically follows and interacts with him, acting as a constant shadow, never far from the party and seldom seen or heard. 

He may appear to be a harmless happy-go-lucky man, but Doro hides an array of skills and lightening fast reflexes. His character may be mysterious, but one thing is clear: there is a lot more to Doro than he lets on, and his secrets may be far darker than anyone could know.
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img825/598/screenshotsfj.jpg[/IMG]

This section will probably become one of the most updated, I reckon.

Alpha:

Kirk's Basement Map Update: (Screenshots)

The maps been changed to feel like it's smaller. As well as this, I've included some minor switch-puzzles that can award players a little extra for exploring.

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9Zd2-7hgBNU/USp9sh_D8JI/AAAAAAAAAHc/8mh3yub8Pf4/s1600/KirkBasementNew.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gs-v81TYEd4/USp9tYElb-I/AAAAAAAAAHk/1i2_cIX-tR8/s1600/BasementPuzzles.JPG[/IMG]
Kiria Cemetary: (Screenshots)

Fun fact: each gravestone has a unique name on it. That means 59 different names can be found. Some of them parody famous names,  some don't. Some reference important plot points later on in the story, too!

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-li7ScB7hXug/USqbI2NjtsI/AAAAAAAAAH0/1PlHvS-qHhk/s1600/KiriaCemetary1.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_JQJTib3X3c/USqbJbgcCUI/AAAAAAAAAH8/pFNB1vnKecY/s1600/KiriaCemetary2.JPG[/IMG]
Addenda Main Theme:(Video)

The main theme for the game. Enjoy.
RRFWsuHxz1s

Battle Theme 'Prepare Yourself!': (Video)

East Kiria Battle Theme 'Kirian Struggle': (Video)

Boss Battle Theme 'The Fighting Spirit!': (Video)

Game Over Theme 'Defeat': (Video)

Intro: (Video)
The introduction scene to the game.
ssmSQ6VaprY
Thousand-Hand Skill Test: (Video)
This is a video made while I was having some fun with a Martial Artist skill that turned out to be ridiculously powerful and awesome to watch. Don't get too excited, in the game it will be expensive to use and difficult to learn!
H5U75d7wcko
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img28/3596/featuresr.jpg[/IMG]

- Emotional branch conversations; at times you can select which emotional response for your character to give ranging from Happy, Angry, Dissmissive, and so on, these different choices can lead to new discussions which will reveal different aspects of character's personality and backstory. 

- Rare items to search for, yielding new side-quests and in-battle rewards!

- Entirely original Musical Soundtrack

- Various sub-plots and side-quests; get involved and immersed in the world of Addenda to whatever degree you wish. Do you want to experience every ounce of story, or do you want to simply fight monsters and win loot? It's up to you!

- Vast party system! Recruit dozens of warriors to aid you in your quest, and select up to 4 to battle with. Mix and match unique abilities for the right situation.

- Challenging Turn-Based Strategy. No easy rides here. All enemies have their strengths and their weaknesses, and not fighting appropriately will leave you dead before you know it. In the world of Addenda, you may be strong, but your enemies are stronger. Using your brain is the only way to get the advantage!

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img546/9126/demosy.jpg[/IMG]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2f9y8utufobexj/ADDENDAv4b.rar

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img259/1925/faqxq.jpg[/IMG]

Okay, so I don't really have any quested asked about the game yet, let alone ones asked frequently! But I'll use this section to be able to quickly add information that wouldn't otherwise fit into other categories for now.
As I see it, the more people want to know, the bigger this section will become. So if you have any questions, please ask away.

- How many different people will be able to join me in my quest?

Over the course of the game, you'll meet many people who may wish to help you in your quest. Of course, some of them will only join you if you complete certain quests or help them out in some way. I hope to have a wide variety of allies to choose from, so that everyone's group will ultimately be different. I can't give specific numbers until much later in the development process.

- You said you are using default graphics, does this mean everything will be 'default'?

Not at all. All of the music I am producing myself and many of the skills, items/item types, armour/armour types and classes are custom as well.
-  You're using the default graphics, aren't you ashamed of yourself you bottomfeeding, braindead, arsebandit-looking evil hamfisted goon?

Not at all. In fact, the opposite. I like the default graphics. Aside from that, I am many things, but good at the art? Nope. Taking the time to just learn to create even remotely passable tiles would add an entirely unknown number of months to the game development schedule, and in my eyes, it isn't something this project needs. It's ambitious enough, and I'm doing everything myself. Take the game for what it is, don't compare it graphically to other RPGMaker games, and don't get too hung up on the fact it uses default tilesets and you will, I promise, you will have a far, far better gaming experience.

- Hang on, a minute. Did I read that you've got a Martial Artist class for the game?

Indeed. It's a bit of a pet-love of mine. Ever since the MMO Anarchy Online, I've always had a fondness for seeing Martial Artists in RPGs. Sadly, not many mainstream games support them, so I thought I'd implement them myself. They have many unique skills. They are capable of equipping Claw weapons and Gloves. I won't reveal the distinction between the two, but those two weapon types more important in some side-plots than you might think. As well as these weapons, Martial Artists have access to a unique armour type. They can't actually wear any other armor, which I feel creates an interesting style for them. I won't discuss what that armour type is just yet as it's still being tweaked.

- Does Joseph remember absolutely nothing?

No. He remembers his entire life. His arrival into the town of Kiria is a mystery to him. As far as he can tell, he's in an entirely new world.

Joseph is a regular joe from regular real-world Earth who, for unknown reasons, has been transported to the Earth in Addenda. 

- Do you know how many side-quests you want to put in the game?

Not specifically, but I would like there to be a lot, enough to make you want to re-play the game.

- Do you have a set release date, or a date you are aiming for?

I'm aiming to finish and release the game in 2014, probably in the second quarter (1st Jan - 31st March). Demos and updates will be coming throughout 2013, though.

- I want to support the project. How can I do that?

For starters, get in touch with Yoji Shinkawa and ask him to do all the art for my game, then give me £5, 000, 000.

Or you could add the WMD - Addenda support banner to your sig. You can find it at the bottom of this post..

- Addenda sounds ambitious for your first project, are you sure you're going to be able to provide everything you promise?

Well, it is ambitious for a first project, granted. However, I'm taking a whole year to work on it, using it as the basis for learning how to use RPGMaker. As for delivering all I promise? Definitely. I'm no Peter Molyneux. If I promise something will be implemented, it will be in the final game. Or your MONEY BACK! (Game will be released for free, so there's nothing to get back if you're dissatisfied.)

- Are you intentionally trying to make Addenda difficult?

I wouldn't say that Addenda is 'difficult' as such. It's like Dark Souls, it isn't hard, it just takes a bit if thinking to figure out how to take on specific enemies. If you think you can get through by just hitting Attack every turn, think again. The enemies in this game won't give you an easy ride!

Support:

If you wish to show support for 'Addenda', here is a little banner to put in your signature!

[IMG]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/433/supbann2.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This project does seem ambitious for a first project. The idea of creating 20, if not 40, hours of playtime, and to finish within about a year is a pretty tight deadline.

A game is supposed to evolve throughout the game development process, especially when you get feedback from others. So don't feel the need to "deliver all you promise". If you work on a feature or idea that just doesn't work or that you can't find a way to implement well, don't feel obliged to include it anyway. If you find you set your sites too high (and I'd say 40 hours of gameplay within a year is high), feel free to scale that back to help you finish your project. Recognise that a project isn't a static list of features that gets made.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This project does seem ambitious for a first project. The idea of creating 20, if not 40, hours of playtime, and to finish within about a year is a pretty tight deadline.

A game is supposed to evolve throughout the game development process, especially when you get feedback from others. So don't feel the need to "deliver all you promise". If you work on a feature or idea that just doesn't work or that you can't find a way to implement well, don't feel obliged to include it anyway. If you find you set your sites too high (and I'd say 40 hours of gameplay within a year is high), feel free to scale that back to help you finish your project. Recognise that a project isn't a static list of features that gets made.
For a deadline, to me, it's very open. I'm putting somewhere around 10+ hours a day into the game, so a year, in my mind, is not a tight deadline. The only time there'd be a feature that I promised and wouldn't deliver would be something that I literally couldn't put in. I'm gonna try my dardnest here! :p  

I understand your concerns, though. And it's the kind of thing I'd say in your position, but I do have a lot of this planned out, and it's something I'm very passionate about. If there isn't more than 25 hours by Q2 2014, but then release will get pushed forward, content won't be scaled back. I think it's important early on to establish a clear development ethic in creative efforts, especially games! :D

Aside from the playtime aspect, what did you think of everything else? 

Robin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't have much to say at the moment. Although, from seeing the first screenshot, it seems like you need to really reduce your map size.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't have much to say at the moment. Although, from seeing the first screenshot, it seems like you need to really reduce your map size.
It seems a little spacious, but it's a basement and I wanted to keep the dimensions in line with the house above it. I didn't want to fill it up too much because the focus is on the interaction between characters, so to keep it bare works. Plus it's also reflective of the character, Kirk. Although we're entering spoiler territory now.

Gomi Boy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
the truth
Primarily Uses
One important thing to consider when mapping for space is how things would relate if the sprites were full-sized characters. A basement of that size could stand to see, like, a furnace or partitions into different rooms. Even a little indent in the shape of the walls could go a long way.

I'd also argue that you don't need that much empty space to show the interactions between two small sprites, even assuming they're going to be moving around a bunch and not just popping up text-boxes. You could manage the same in a 3x3 space, if you wanted to, and having characters interact with set pieces is actually a pretty alright technique to use now and then.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One important thing to consider when mapping for space is how things would relate if the sprites were full-sized characters. A basement of that size could stand to see, like, a furnace or partitions into different rooms. Even a little indent in the shape of the walls could go a long way.

I'd also argue that you don't need that much empty space to show the interactions between two small sprites, even assuming they're going to be moving around a bunch and not just popping up text-boxes. You could manage the same in a 3x3 space, if you wanted to, and having characters interact with set pieces is actually a pretty alright technique to use now and then.

EDIT:

Actually, I've just noticed something that means I'm going to have to redesign the entire basement, so all the feedback on that is being taken on board for sure now.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Update:

Four screenshots have been posted showing the change in the basement map.

* Also added a 'features' list. Will expand more on this in the coming months.

* Doro character Bio added.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Pre-Alpha Demo added!

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Read your thread about pre-alpha and gave it a blind try. After the intro cutscene when I gain control over my character, it has mega slow walking speed. I'll give it another try if walking speed gets fixed.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Read your thread about pre-alpha and gave it a blind try. After the intro cutscene when I gain control over my character, it has mega slow walking speed. I'll give it another try if walking speed gets fixed.
EDIT:

When you left the first map, did your movement speed suddenly increase?

I think a problem with background events caused the game to lag. It's never happened before now, and nothing was changed recently, but I discovered where the specific problem was. It may not have been movement speed that was slow -- but game speed.

The problem came when I put in an event to 'fadeout BGM', the music that played during the intro credits. Then it would play the map's regular music. I added fades because without them, the music just jumpcuts from one to the other (if anyone can provide a lag-free remedy to that I'm all ears). I still don't know why it created lag. I think somehow I caused a weird feedback loop of sorts. When I was rooting around to find the problem duirng one playtest there, the music would constantly play the first 1-1.5 seconds of sound from the BGM. I've remedied the situation now, though. I'll update the Demo download file.

For future reference: please, anyone, don't complain about the music not transitioning from Introcredit BGM to Map BGM. I'm trying to fix it!  :p If I can't get an in-game solution, I'll just edit the mp3 and put a fade-in at the right mark.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT:

When you left the first map, did your movement speed suddenly increase?

I think a problem with background events caused the game to lag. It's never happened before now, and nothing was changed recently, but I discovered where the specific problem was. It may not have been movement speed that was slow -- but game speed.
I hadn't tried leaving. I just downloaded the game again, and the game is still mega laggy after the cutscene. It goes to normal when leaving the inn. When I walk back into the inn it turns mega laggy again. Must be some parallel event going crazy there?

I'm going to write down my thoughts as I play the demo....

-Consider shortening the intro when the large letters appear ("presents" and the game's title), it stays on the screen for longer than necessary.

-The inn doesn't look much like an inn. It has a bunch of beds in the same room, then some sort of huge classroom right next to it(?)

-Lol, money in the logs. I like hidden stuffs.

-The running guy disappears by running into a lamppost(?)

-Lol, found money on the pillar.=P -- The money isn't added to my inventory.

-The house next to the inn needs to be smaller, or have more stuff in it to justify the size.

-I can't walk over red flower tiles.

-Climbing the vines on the Kiria Mines building serves no purpose?

-The food in Kirk's house is on the floor (missing a table?)

-Can't walk behind the locked door upstairs (set the upper half to appear over Hero).

-The treasure in Kirk's room upstairs puts a huge gap between players who do find it, and those who don't(?)

-After the combat tutorial, the Hero doesn't face the NPC.

-Kirk's heal spell is called Repair? Sounds more like something to fix up a machine with.=s

-I can climb the vines in Kirk's basement to get up on the walls (unintended?)

-I can walk over the walls on the graveyard map(?)

-Some of the gravestone examines appear at bottom of screen, while others appear in the middle.

-One of the gravestones is lacking an examine (2nd or 3rd row from top I think).

-After checking the whole graveyard, I have no idea what to do next. Nothing happened, and no key was found.

Short summary:

-Shorten the time on the huge text that presents the game in the intro.

-Make interior maps a lot smaller than they currently are.

-Fix some mapping errors.

-I like being able to examine tons of stuff.

-I like hidden items.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
- I hadn't tried leaving. I just downloaded the game again, and the game is still mega laggy after the cutscene. It goes to normal when leaving the inn. When I walk back into the inn it turns mega laggy again. Must be some parallel event going crazy there?
I'm going to write down my thoughts as I play the demo....

.Strange. It doesn't lag for me anymore... Nightmare. I'll continue tweaking some of the events. I have an idea of what specific event might be causing it. 

-Consider shortening the intro when the large letters appear ("presents" and the game's title), it stays on the screen for longer than necessary.

Yeah, I know. It wasn't changed for the demo since it wasn't so high on my priorities,. I wasn't too sure myself if it was right, so thanks for confirming it.

-Lol, money in the logs. I like hidden stuffs

Hehehe. There's a lot more hidden around.

-The running guy disappears by running into a lamppost(?)

Did the screen flash? He's supposed to run towards you, it flashes, he runs away. I'll check that event

-Lol, found money on the pillar.=P -- The money isn't added to my inventory

Yas. :D

Hmm. I'll look into this. Event's probly got something wrong with it.

-The house next to the inn needs to be smaller, or have more stuff in it to justify the size.

The Mayor's House? Hmm. I'll consider adding a little more, but almost everything in that place is interactive. 

-I can't walk over red flower tiles.

The ones in the graveyard, I assume? I'll fix a clearer path.

-Climbing the vines on the Kiria Mines building serves no purpose?

YOU CAN CLIMB THOSE!?!!?!?!?!?

Hahahaha, man. I had no idea about that. They were purely decorative.

-The food in Kirk's house is on the floor (missing a table?)

No, it's supposed to be like that.

(It's a cultural thing.)

-Can't walk behind the locked door upstairs (set the upper half to appear over Hero).

Would I do that by changing the priority of the event?

-The treasure in Kirk's room upstairs puts a huge gap between players who do find it, and those who don't(?)

It's purpose is almost entirely for the Blue Bear collectible inside. The money that can be found can be made up for in the Kiria Mines if you couldn't get in. The gold bars inside can't be sold until much later, too.

-After the combat tutorial, the Hero doesn't face the NPC.

Coulda sworn I'd got that. Thanks!

-Kirk's heal spell is called Repair? Sounds more like something to fix up a machine with.=s

Correct. His primarily skills don't lie in healing magic. Repair is the weakest form of healing spell, as it "repairs" minor injuries. Geddit? 

- I can walk over the walls on the graveyard map(?)

Uhhh... Which walls? Do you mean those stone tiles that sit at the entrance/exit paths? You're supposed to be able to walk on those.

-Some of the gravestone examines appear at bottom of screen, while others appear in the middle.

This problem existed earlier. I must have missed some when I went over them. Thanks!

-One of the gravestones is lacking an examine (2nd or 3rd row from top I think)

I'll get right on that. Thanks!

- After checking the whole graveyard, I have no idea what to do next. Nothing happened, and no key was found.

Listen very carefully to what Kirk says. He tells you exactly what to do when you enter the graveyard. 

(clue: it's something to do with plants ;) )

-I like being able to examine tons of stuff.

-I like hidden items.
You and me both! Try to get into the mines. There's a hidden easter egg in there which is very difficult to find ;3

Thank you so much for the post! I'll fix these issues right away. 

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A new version of the demo has been uploaded.

I've fixed the bugs listed in Milenin's post. I wasn't able to figure out which Flower tiles you were unable to walk over, so if you could provide a screenshot, it would be really helpful.

Fixed a bug with the puzzle events in Kirk's basement I found, the events were not set up correctly (had to fix a switch). They should work now.

Decided to add functionality by giving players a reason to climb up the Kiria Mine Building wall. 

Changed Music in the intro so that it fades out correctly. 

Let me know if the lag exists in the Inn map. I'm sure I figured out what was causing it and I got no lag during playtesting, but I want to make sure it works on other people's computers.

hopefully you'll continue to play since, technically, you've only seen 3/4 of the demo :p

EDIT: Players can't walk behind the door in the frist floor of Kirk's house. This has been fixed, but will not feature until the next demo update.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heh, gonna try the new demo, and see if I can get any further this time. I must have missed what Kirk said when entering the graveyard. I was making some lunch at that time, so I probably got distracted a bit. Consider it making it possible for the player to ask for hints on where to continue on the main path at any time, instead of giving 1-time notices (having a quest log is quite nice). Things like IRL distractions, or accidentally pressing the SPACE bar too fast sometimes happen.

-The running guy runs into me, says something, then runs past me into a lamppost and disappears. I don't know if it's supposed to do that, but it just seems strange that he disappears by running into a lamppost.

-The red flowers that blocked my movement where those on the town map, there are some just south of the inn building.

-The walls in the graveyard I was able to walk over have a shadow on them, so it looks strange being able to walk over them. I don't know much about VXA mapping, so I dunno if it's possible to remove the shadow on them. Otherwise use a different tile, or block movement over them.

-By interiors being too large I didn't mean that there isn't enough stuff to examine, but that the rooms are simply too empty. A real house doesn't have huge open spaces with nothing in it. Look at your own (or your parent's) living room, and use that as a size reference. Interior maps don't need to take up whole screens if all it does is leave huge open spaces. It also makes it more annoying to walk around in, which isn't a good thing if you want to promote exploring places for hidden stuff.

I downloaded the demo again, but it appears to be the same file that I got earlier?

Time to play some more.=P

-OK, I got the hint at the graveyard, and found the dead bush. It's pretty hard to spot unless you pay good attention to it. I'd make it stand out some more, maybe add dark soil around the spot or something.

-The fight with the Ghost was way too long and tough. It hits for a large amount of damage, and Kirk isn't able to heal enough to keep both party members alive. Joseph went down pretty fast, but Kirk could keep himself alive with lots of meditations and repairs. For the 2nd fight into the game, I'd make this one shorter, and a bit easier.

-In the mines, when asked about oil, and choose ignore, Kirk's text is cut off with the word myself (the f is cut off).

-Looks like my party isn't getting healed after the ghost boss, I can't heal outside battles, and I have no (obvious) way to revive Joseph? Bats hit for like 70HP (close to 1/4th of Kirk's total HP) each, and that's a regular encounter. No way anyone is going to get through that.

-There needs to be a way to heal to full HP, otherwise the player can get permanently stuck if he makes a wrong move. If there is a way to freely heal and revive somewhere, I don't know it, but it should be made clear and obvious where it can be done.

-Monsters need to be tuned down a lot. Especially considering this is the beginning of the game. Joseph goes down during the ghost boss, because Kirk can't outheal the damage, and because the ghost takes way too long to even kill. Kirk himself can only barely keep himself alive against the ghost, and throw in a lightning attack once in a while if he gets lucky to not get hit by the ghost's attack. His normal attacks do so little damage to the ghost.

The regular monsters in the Mines do way too much damage. I don't want a random battle to be a chore in which I have to struggle to keep my party alive (although that's not even possible in its current state, as the monsters are too strong). Keep that stuff for the bosses.

-The game in its current state is missing a learning curve. Yeah, it's in pre-alpha, so it's to be expected. But just thought I'd mention it anyway.=P Start the game off simple (not braindead simple, though), and slowly build from there. Introduce stronger enemies over time, and give the player the chance to get used to the combat system, using character skills, handling conditions etc.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heh, gonna try the new demo, and see if I can get any further this time. I must have missed what Kirk said when entering the graveyard. I was making some lunch at that time, so I probably got distracted a bit. Consider it making it possible for the player to ask for hints on where to continue on the main path at any time, instead of giving 1-time notices (having a quest log is quite nice). Things like IRL distractions, or accidentally pressing the SPACE bar too fast sometimes happen.

-The running guy runs into me, says something, then runs past me into a lamppost and disappears. I don't know if it's supposed to do that, but it just seems strange that he disappears by running into a lamppost.
I dunno about quest logs and stuff. I could have Kirk reiterate the point a bit more (which he does when you examine the smaller dead item at the top-right corner of the graveyard), but really, he tells you it the minute before you go off to do it. I don't wanna hold people's hands through this. If you have your characters keep trying to explain things, it really hurts the plot progression, case in point: Inception. :p hehe

Yes, the guy is supposed to run away like that. He never runs directly into a lamp post on my screen, though. Could you show me a screenshot or two of this? I'm curious to see what's happening on your end.

-OK, I got the hint at the graveyard, and found the dead bush. It's pretty hard to spot unless you pay good attention to it. I'd make it stand out some more, maybe add dark soil around the spot or something.

There is dark soil around it. You just can't see it because of the darkened screen effect. I'll lighten it up a little to compensate for this. 

-The fight with the Ghost was way too long and tough. It hits for a large amount of damage, and Kirk isn't able to heal enough to keep both party members alive. Joseph went down pretty fast, but Kirk could keep himself alive with lots of meditations and repairs. For the 2nd fight into the game, I'd make this one shorter, and a bit easier.

Joseph was intended to be Level 2 at this point. Changing classes resets levels and the event never leveled him up after the tutorial as it should have. Apologies for that, it's since been fixed. However, just to prove a point, here's a video of me beating the ghost using a level 1 Joseph :

- In the mines, when asked about oil, and choose ignore, Kirk's text is cut off with the word myself (the f is cut off).

I'm usually proof-read these!! Augh! Thanks for noticing this one. What did you think of this mechanic, by the way? The choice in your responses. Sort of a poor-man's version of the stuff in Mass Effect, I understand that much :p

-Looks like my party isn't getting healed after the ghost boss, I can't heal outside battles, and I have no (obvious) way to revive Joseph? Bats hit for like 70HP (close to 1/4th of Kirk's total HP) each, and that's a regular encounter. No way anyone is going to get through that.

Yeah, you don't get healed after battles. Kirk should be able to use Repair via the menus. I'll include a revival item as a reward for beating the ghost in case of death. 

*I've also added another Meditation skill to revive MP.

The Batats are supposed to be far less frequent than Slimes. I'll fix this and adjust their damage abilities. 

-There needs to be a way to heal to full HP, otherwise the player can get permanently stuck if he makes a wrong move. If there is a way to freely heal and revive somewhere, I don't know it, but it should be made clear and obvious where it can be done.

Yes, again, Kirk's abilities can cover this. I'll add a dialogue about how to use these after the graveyard ghost so that player's know it's there for them. 

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-Yes, the guy is supposed to run away like that. He never runs directly into a lamp post on my screen, though. Could you show me a screenshot or two of this? I'm curious to see what's happening on your end.

This is a screenshot of the NPC right before he disappears. It also marks the red flowers that block my movement.=P

suub12.png

-Joseph was intended to be Level 2 at this point. Changing classes resets levels and the event never leveled him up after the tutorial as it should have. Apologies for that, it's since been fixed. However, just to prove a point, here's a video of me beating the ghost using a level 1 Joseph :

When I encountered the ghost, Joseph was still level 1, and he had 100HP out of 300HP left at the start of the fight. I never used guard command, though.=P

A way to keep a character's level at class change is to store its current EXP in a variable before the class change, then load the variable after the class change.

-I'm usually proof-read these!! Augh! Thanks for noticing this one. What did you think of this mechanic, by the way? The choice in your responses. Sort of a poor-man's version of the stuff in Mass Effect, I understand that much :p

I love choice dialogue, makes things more interesting.8) Do you plan on having choices affect anything later on in the game, or just the dialogue at that moment?

-Yeah, you don't get healed after battles. Kirk should be able to use Repair via the menus. I'll include a revival item as a reward for beating the ghost in case of death.

Hm, I checked my saved game, but he's too low on MP to use the heals, and he can't use Meditate outside battle.

Let me know when you link the new demo version, because I still can only get the version that I tried yesterday morning.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see. That's so strange that he bumps into the lamppost. You shouldn't even be able to move since the event is set to Autorun. I'll have a look at that.

Heh, Guard is VERY important. At least in Addenda it is. I've edited the game to allow a Meditation outside battle. If you're struggling with health, check out the houses in Kiria. If you find a Kitchen with some Broccoli on it's counter, you can pick that up. Broccoli is a very cheap, but relatively useful healing item, you find it absolutely everywhere, too. Try looking for those before you take on the Ghost. It's definitely possible as long as your health is more than 50%. You may get unlucky, though. The ghost is set to go into double-attacks and starts guarding when it's health drops below 50% (when it hits half-way the "it's getting weaker!" message is triggered.)

I don't know how much the choice dialogue will impact the game right now. If it will have impact, this won't be implemented until the final release version of the game since it'd take some back-tracking to implement properly! But I'm glad you like it. In later conversations it'll branch into longer dialogues (which will have their own choice-branches of varying lengths) so every time you play the game, you might uncover a long dialogue event that reveals a whole truckload about the setting, area, people, backstory, etc,. Which is something I'm really excited about implementing because the game has 2 big sub-plots that the player doesn't have to take part in, but shed light on some ambiguous (albiet important) plot elements that lead up to the causes of the events of the game! :D

I'll PM you when a new demo is ready. I'm working on it right now. I've added a new group of maps to the Mines which will allow you to try for a (relatively) powerful weapon, the Titanite Blade. It's guarded by a tough enemy which is hidden in a maze, though. The maze isn't so tough, thankfully. I've changed the rate at which Batats appear, and altered the damage a little more so they are more or less well matched for Joseph. Protip: they're weak against Thunder-element! (As are all of the game's Winged foes, for future reference :p )

And as for the flowers, ahhhh. Those! I'll fix those.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, I got the new demo now.

A checklist to confirm some fixed issues I raised in previous posts:

-The intro is a lot better with shortened timers on the title presenting.

-There's no lag in the inn anymore.

-The running guy event now plays properly.

-The money from the pillar is now added to inventory.

-Climbing the vine on the Mines now has a purpose.

-Can now walk behind the locked door in Kirk's house (upstairs).

-Can't walk over the walls in the graveyard anymore.

-Can't walk over the red flowers yet, but I guess it's because you released this version before I pointed out on which map they were.

-Joseph is still level 1 after the tutorial and class change.

-Killed the ghost now without anyone dying by using guard a lot. Still, the game needs to do a better job at explaining the features. Stuff that's obvious to you, as gamemaker who spends hours creating, testing and balancing the battles, is not obvious to the player who plays it for the first time. You can deny handholding all you want, but if you, as gamemaker, aren't willing to teach me how to play your game, then I'm not willing to continue playing the game to figure it out on myself. Difficulty is only fair and fun if I know what my options are, and what they do.

Anyway, enough ranting.=P Going to continue into the mines.

-After the ghost battle, Kirk gives me some useful information. This is good.

-It would be nice to be able to restore all MP in a single use of Meditate Mind, so I don't have to spam my SPACE bar over again everytime I need to heal after a battle.

-The bats are now way more manageable.

-Letter E got cut off from here in Kirk's dialogue on one of the second maps in the Mines after he mentions that the dead walk.

-That whole map is a dead end, with the only thing in it $2 from a hidden spot? There's a crack in one of the walls, but it has no examine on it?

-A single mountain spider touch encounter?

-Reached the end of the demo.

Some more thoughts:

-I think the ghost fight is pretty cool, but the player isn't prepared well enough for such a fight at that point (lol, I keep repeating this point =P).

-The Meditate Mind skill seriously needs to restore more than 2MP per use.

-The random encounter rate inside the Mines is alright. I don't really like the random encounter mechanic, but they don't appear here often enough to bother me that much.

West Mains

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OK, I got the new demo now.

A checklist to confirm some fixed issues I raised in previous posts:

-The intro is a lot better with shortened timers on the title presenting.

-There's no lag in the inn anymore.

-The running guy event now plays properly.

-The money from the pillar is now added to inventory.

-Climbing the vine on the Mines now has a purpose.

-Can now walk behind the locked door in Kirk's house (upstairs).

-Can't walk over the walls in the graveyard anymore.

-Can't walk over the red flowers yet, but I guess it's because you released this version before I pointed out on which map they were.

-Joseph is still level 1 after the tutorial and class change.

-Killed the ghost now without anyone dying by using guard a lot. Still, the game needs to do a better job at explaining the features. Stuff that's obvious to you, as gamemaker who spends hours creating, testing and balancing the battles, is not obvious to the player who plays it for the first time. You can deny handholding all you want, but if you, as gamemaker, aren't willing to teach me how to play your game, then I'm not willing to continue playing the game to figure it out on myself. Difficulty is only fair and fun if I know what my options are, and what they do.

Anyway, enough ranting.=P Going to continue into the mines.

-After the ghost battle, Kirk gives me some useful information. This is good.

-It would be nice to be able to restore all MP in a single use of Meditate Mind, so I don't have to spam my SPACE bar over again everytime I need to heal after a battle.

-The bats are now way more manageable.

-Letter E got cut off from here in Kirk's dialogue on one of the second maps in the Mines after he mentions that the dead walk.

-That whole map is a dead end, with the only thing in it $2 from a hidden spot? There's a crack in one of the walls, but it has no examine on it?

-Reached the end of the demo.

Some more thoughts:

-I think the ghost fight is pretty cool, but the player isn't prepared well enough for such a fight at that point (lol, I keep repeating this point =P).

-The Meditate Mind skill seriously needs to restore more than 2MP per use.

-The random encounter rate inside the Mines is alright. I don't really like the random encounter mechanic, but they don't appear here often enough to bother me that much.

This was intentional. It's supposed to be tiring and exhaustive to make you not want to rely on it. Early on Meditate Mind is very useful because you can restore all your MP for free before a fight, but the more you level up the way harder this is going to be to keep doing, meaning eventually you'll need to resort to using the far more effective Poitions and future Meditation skills. It's there to help the player before potions are available, but is intentionally made to make players not want to rely on it.

- The Ghost, Difficulity, Etc

I had a bit of an idea about what you said. We can come to compromise here. At the very start, before the intro, I'll create a short sequence that basically asks "Do you want to play the Tutorial?" or something like that. It'll take you to a small map designed to teach you the basics with no risk. This way, people who've played before can opt-out it, rather than having it in the game as something you need to go through every time you start a new game (remember, it is going to be made with multiple playthroughs in mind.)

Thanks. I'll fix that.

I'll fix the event.  I'll talk about the map in the next point.

There's 2 mini-bosses in the dungeon. You'll need to walk around to get to both. If you really need the help, I've created a map

Warning: THIS IS A BIG IMAGE. It's not totally to scale. Some of these rooms are meant to overlap one another and stuff like that. But it gives the proper directions and everything.

[IMG]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6162/kmap.jpg[/IMG]

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Nightmare... Dreamt I posted a GFX resource post. With a work in progress glove icon that tinted to different colors. In the wrong forum. And I was in such a panic. I saw people writing posts in response, those "..." you see in discord and such. So I frantically tried to report my post as wrong forum, editing to say it's the wrong forum and that I "accidentally" posted it too early... Very odd dream to be honest...
The youngest photo of you is also the oldest photo of you.
People need to stop submitting their game to every single game jam without even reading the jam rules (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mom tested positive for COVID thanks to a single stupid coworker of hers not taking sh*t serious.
I'll prolly won't be on here for a while as we deal with this.
So before I inevitably start a new project to reorganize myself (I will make sure to save important info dw), I will make an external list of what I want in the final database.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguelCacao