adding agi or luk scaling to potions used in battle

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by jonthefox, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Here's an idea I just thought of. I tend to make healing potions as something that, if you have a bunch of them, they can be used outside of battle to heal you up in lieu of cure spells. I also don't mind having strong healing potions which are either rare or expensive, which can be powerfully used in battle - but I generally dislike the idea that you can have a large stock of potions that can meaningfully heal a player in a single turn.

At the same time, as I was thinking about it, I thought it would make sense and feel cool that "quick" characters like rogues would be able to effectively guzzle a potion in the heat of battle, whether as a result of their cunning, dexterity, or simply being able to temporarily take cover and hide. So I thought a cool idea would be to add agility and/or luck scaling to the effectiveness of healing potions when used in battle, to reward these types of characters. Thoughts?

2. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I could definitely see luck adding a bonus to healing potions or even mana potions. It would allow luck to be used since it is a pretty useless stat by default.

3. kairi_key

kairi_key Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    thai
    Depend on the formula I guess...
    If it the luk and agi depend on user's, then you can make stats reflex classes who will be good with using items on top of things like pha.
    If it's target's luk and agi then... I dunno about that... but it does fits more with your description of being able to quickly gulp down the potions....

4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's fine. Most of the time AGI and especially LUK are underperforming stats, anyway.

One small abuse case that's worth keeping in mind is that by adding scaling to the potion's effectiveness in battle, but omitting the scaling outside of battle, is that you may be providing an incentive for the player to stall against a single weak enemy near the end of a "decided" battle, and slowly use their potions during this un-fun stall in order to get higher efficiency out of them. This is probably something that players will only bother with if they don't (or don't expect to) have many potions on hand, though.

Also worth considering is whether you want the effectiveness to scale with the user's AGI/LUK (essentially making some characters good item-users), or the target's AGI/LUK (essentially making some characters better at recovery-tanking). Of course, if potions can only be used on The User, that's a complete non-issue.

5. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In my game I have LUK/20 as a multiplier on the effectiveness of healing magic (and Regen; and 20/LUK as a multiplier for poison damage). I don't do anything similar for potions, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

6. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can have potions pretty much heal based on whatever stat you want or none at all. I have some that heal based on current hp, max hp, luck (rebranded spirit), and several other things I can't think of right now. All that really matters is that whatever stat scaling you use doesn't unbalance the game.

7. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In one of my side projects, LUCK was changed to MIND. MIND was used to determine scientific/Psi skills outputs & defenses. This included adding a bonus to some Potions. So a character with higher MIND would get more benefit out of healing items. I used small numbers, so even a bonus of 3 MIND would make a big difference in battle. :)

Hope this helps.
    -MIA

JosephSeraph likes this.
  8. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    That's definitely a neat idea, but is LUK truly that beneficial to your game? Rather than thinking about how to make LUK useful, I'd consider discarding it altogether. You can simulate these effects (probably to a more predictable extent) by just adding a Pharmacology bonus (or a higher multiplier to the Potion element) to characters that you want to communicate as more agile and more effective with potions.