KirkDSM

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hello :)

I downloaded the trial of RPG Maker MV today, and so far it seems to be amazing! But I had downloaded a load of music for my project, and as far as I can tell there is no way to import custom music.

What I've Tried:

- Put in BGM folder as an mp3= Doesn't show up in the music screen.

-Put in BGM folder as an ogg= Shows up but doesn't play

- Gave it a m4a as all the sample ones had = Still doesn't play

- Put it in BGM folder as a wav= doesn't show up.

Please help! :)

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
MV does not support the mp3 or wav formats, only ogg and m4a. It's odd to hear they don't play for you. Do they play outside of RPG Maker MV? Can you play other ogg or m4a files ok? When you say you put them in as the different file types, did you have the files converted, or did you just change the file extensions?

KirkDSM

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
MV does not support the mp3 or wav formats, only ogg and m4a. It's odd to hear they don't play for you. Do they play outside of RPG Maker MV? Can you play other ogg or m4a files ok? When you say you put them in as the different file types, did you have the files converted, or did you just change the file extensions?
I just changed the file extensions. But they did play okay outside of MV. Is that the issue?

EDIT:

Just converted one of them and it works! Thank you! Now, time to convert 74 mp3 files xD!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mabel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Converting my files didn't work.

ranmaster27

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
So what exactly is the solution to this?

Convert your mp3 files into oggs, or m4a's?

ranmaster27

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you for being clear. =)
So then I'll just convert all the BGM files I would like to import into the game, into .ogg files.

Got it.

chayd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Will converting the default OGG sounds to much much smaller OGG affects the game? like crashing, error etc 

BitGamer

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So i dont know how to do this on mac if it works by just changeing the file type but what you have to do for windows atleast is eather redownload if at all possable the file you want to put as ogg or find a mp3 to ogg or wav to ogg converter if there is such a thing as that out there. you cant change the file type on windows or it wolnt play

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Changing file extension does NOT convert the file, it makes it unusable for most cases.

You need to use a conversion program to convert the files, and as Archeia said several posts up, you'll need each file as both OGG AND as M4A, because the editor uses one or the other depending on the hardware on which you play.

Kumachan77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I found that for us Mac users, VLC player can convert files such as M4A into OGG very easily.  Kinda odd that you need both formats in the library in order to play it in game.

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
What so MV doesn't support MP3 but VX Ace does? Is there a reason why they changed this?

ftzpltc

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So what exactly is the solution to this?

Convert your mp3 files into oggs, or m4a's?

I don't know if it's the same on PC, but on Mac you seem to need both - an ogg and an m4a version of the same file.

If you need a program for this, I recommend Audacity (which is free), or SoundStudio (which is cheap and a lot more user-friendly).

Jules98

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What so MV doesn't support MP3 but VX Ace does? Is there a reason why they changed this?

Money. You need a special license to use MP3 in comercial products.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Money. You need a special license to use MP3 in comercial products.

Yes and no.
The Problem was to find options available on mobile devices (Android and iOS), and those devices use hardware decoding because they do not have the processing power to use software decoding like most full computers.
And each device only has one HW decoder, which is the main reason you'll need different formats for them.

The reason why those formats were choosen instead of mp3 is of course money, because you'll need a licence for a HW decoder that is usually more expensive than a SW licence variant. But that was the decision of the mobile devices manufacturers not to use mp3.

And if you (kadokawa) is already required to have those two other formats for mobile export, then it makes no sense to play the licence for a third decoder that isn't really needed because the computers already support both of the mobile audio formats.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am adamant about not having missable quests, which means having to write entirely new scenes at each plot progression that takes into account that time and events have passed since the quest could first be accepted while still having there be a quest to solve in the first place. It's worth every second.
Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!
ddwk.png

working on the sprite for Devali <3
My Game Development Livestream

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haniffauziyatun