Ninjam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi all! I'm running into an interesting little problem.
My game is using a lot of script calls (that I know should probably be transferred into custom plugins for the functionality...)
and to make a long story short, I ended up storing a few 2d arrays into game variables.

This was fine for the first year of development, until things started to get glitchy, with "Save file to large!" errors cropping up, saves taking multiple seconds to save/load, etc.

I trimmed back much of the unneeded functionality from these, but am still concerned because a new system I have planned needs access to data that has to be saved to the save file again.

Other than actually making plugins to do this (I have the skill to do so, being a software engineer graduate, but am being rather lazy with going in and actually learning the systems to do so) is there a way to save data the game file without bloating the size and causing issues in the long term?

MisterFu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If "Save file to large" appears in the console, that is just a warning, not an error. So the game won't break about that. But I think there is no way to store data at the save file without making it to big.

Your way with storing your arrays in a game variable is ok. The other way is to extend the $gameSystem-object. This object will be saved too. Eg
Code:
$gameSystem.myArray = [];

myenemy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I happen to be working on a mz plugin for this and a couple more features. I think it might be backwards compatible with MV.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are 2 save files that extend features
Por_Save (cannot find this one)
TSR_Save (my favorite), and personally better than por's.

because you can create the save scene as single, multiple, with
any information you want in there.

the possiblity is endless, but it doesn't work for MZ, you can ask permission
to port it to MZ if you are able too.

Sepheyer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Here is a similar question that @caethyril gave a great response to:

But, it requires coding, sooo might be useful if you rule out all other options.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
...is there a way to save data the game file without bloating the size and causing issues in the long term?
Avoid saving unnecessary data. Exactly how to do this depends on what data you are saving.

E.g. if you want to memorise map event positions, then save only the positions, not the entire event objects.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Surprising nobody, it turns out "next Friday" for the next Jump into Javascript has become "possibly Sunday if you're lucky" XD
Folks, if anyone sends you a message inviting you to add their API to your game, please report them. We don't want people spamming our members asking them to add stuff to their games for their own (or others') benefit. We've updated the forum rules to confirm this.
I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...
I don't really have any neat updates today about how I screwed up programming... But if you want to observe the intensenes of me programming, then you can check out my stream :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Popo