The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi there, my newest project has a day/night cycle using common events and switches, and I'd thought I'd ask if there's a way I can add a "Day" counter (storing the days in a variable that adds 1 day to the variable at the end of every cycle) to the main menu, like above the "Gold" box or something similar. Basically, if there's a way I can work it so that the box would say "Day" and then the number variable that is stored in the 'day' counter.

Or, to get extremely into it, figure out a way to change the box so it reads "Night" instead of day during the 'night' and 'evening' parts of the cycle. An example...

The cycle has happened five times now (and thus added 4 points to the variable counter) and it's daytime (or it could be morning). The box in the menu says:

"Day 5"

Now it's night (or it could be evening) of that day, so the box in the menu would say:

"Night 5"

If the Day/Night thing is too difficult or complicated to script, or too difficult to set up for someone with absolutely zero scripting knowledge...then if I can at least get the box added to the menu to say "Day" (at all time periods, instead of switching to saying "Night" come the activation of the evening or night switches and then saying "Day" again come the activation of the morning or day switches) it would be greatly appreciated.

~Screen6.bmp (Entering a new map adds 1 point to the "Time" variable, I also have a second CE (Marked "Cycle2") that alternatively adds 1 point to the "Time" Variable every 999 frames)

~Screen7.bmp

~screen8.bmp

EDIT: Also, if its possible, if someone could also include another text box on the menu that indicates on what map you are on. Such as "North Forest" (if you are in North Forest) or a "Central Plains" if you are in the Central Plains being in its own little text box on the menu beneath the "Day"/"Night" box, please.

Attachments

• Screen7.bmp
    311 bytes · Views: 4
  • screen8.bmp
    311 bytes · Views: 5
  • Screen6.bmp
    311 bytes · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:

Funplayer

Self proclaimed sponge.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can think of a few issues that could happen by just adding a window into that location:

1. Expanding or replacing the menu scene with a 3rd party menu would probably break the (variable) window, unless you construct it, update it, place it in another location, and destruct it properly.

2. Changing variable ids would involve a couple of lines of changed code.

If you're okay with that, I could script it in for you.

The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm using the basic menu anyway, and thanks.

Funplayer

Self proclaimed sponge.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm using the basic menu anyway, and thanks.
Sorry I had some sound halting issues with my computer, but I fixed them and now its running correctly.  Nothing that required sound would run, including the rgss client.  

Here is the demo for the map display and day/night display, its commented and easy to understand.

Hosted in my public Dropbox public folder.

Here is the script hosted on my Github.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kctsteve