JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry if I posted in the wrong area. Just thought this up about an hour ago.

I noticed in Renpy, one can add onto it so as to unlcok certain scenes by copying the file and put it into certain folders inside that project.

I was wondering if maybe RPG Maker MZ can do that? Like, say once you export a game, then all the sudden, you realize you forgot something and don't feel like exporting the game all over again as it can sometime takes a bit, is it possible to add or replace certain events? Like what if I want to add a switch to unlock a scene so players can view it?

I mean, I feel like there's got to be some ways one can do that. But if not... Oh well. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, they call it a "patch" for Renpy. Not sure about this, though.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a bunch of threads on this if you Google it.

Basically, the answer is "kind of." Anything that is strictly additive to the database should work - adding new maps, enemies, events (although if the player is on the map when they load their save, they may need to leave and come back in to see it).

But changing anything that already exists will not show up, and the player will need to start a new game.

So you can add a new event that is triggered either by a new switch that you set the value of right away, or by an existing switch; but you can't "replace" (by which I guess you mean rewriting the contents) events, or change one in your game to add a condition of a switch.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you add new events to an existing map (or add new maps, in which case you'll have to add events to existing maps to get to it), you're going to have to export anyway.

I've moved this thread to MZ Support. Thank you.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are a bunch of threads on this if you Google it.
Ah, I've been seeing them for MV. Not MZ. Google is bad about picking MV over MZ for some reason. Probably because it is still new. I know the codes are the same to an extinct. There is a lot of changes to MZ so it's hard to know what's right and what's wrong when comparing. If things like this really doesn't matter rather it's MV or MZ, then I really apologize for this.

Say, what about pictures replacement and switches? Would those be good for adding as patches? As I don't think I would need a new map. Maybe as Common Event, since I've already have it maxed out, I do not think it'd matter. Lol.

Also curious if patches would even work if everything is encrypted?

If you add new events to an existing map (or add new maps, in which case you'll have to add events to existing maps to get to it), you're going to have to export anyway.
Ah. So it won't work with new added Events?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your OP asked if there was a way to add events to a game without exporting it again. There isn't.

Yes, you can add new events. But you have to export your game again. And depending on what the new events do - what conditions they have on the event pages - they may or may not work properly for someone who has an existing save file and downloads your update.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Your OP asked if there was a way to add events to a game without exporting it again. There isn't.
Yeah, I know. Just gathering all the information I can.

I think I understand now. Thank you, Shaz, for telling me.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I've been seeing them for MV. Not MZ. Google is bad about picking MV over MZ for some reason.
I didn't even notice this was in the MZ forum - your profile says you're using VX Ace. All of the RPG Makers function identically with how save games are loaded.
Say, what about pictures replacement and switches? Would those be good for adding as patches?
I already described this thoroughly in my answer - you can not "replace" anything without requiring the user to start again.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I didn't even notice this was in the MZ forum - your profile says you're using VX Ace. All of the RPG Makers function identically with how save games are loaded.
That was my fault. Shaz had to put this thread to MZ Support. I had it in General Discussion. Yeah, I was using VX Ace last year but this year, ended up staying with MZ because of the quality and comfort. Sorry about that.

I already described this thoroughly in my answer - you can not "replace" anything without requiring the user to start again.
I understand now. Thank you. Will allow this thread to be closed as well.

To both @Shaz and @ATT_Turan
I sincerely hope that you guys both have a good day and year. Thank you both for your help in educating me about these things.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Regarding what some people say about "Events are not visible on loaded Games": The game checks the version id of system.json, so copy-pasting this file should do the trick.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Something might be coming...
Hallo.png
A new day for creating :)
2021 has been the runner-up for the worst year of my life. 2015 may take that title, but '21 is pushing it. Excuses really don't justify how much of a jerk I've been this year to a lot of people.

I'm sorry. I don't intend to be a jerk forever, but I'd rather back up my intent with actions, not words.
"Another hundred habaneros... a teaspoon of tumeric... and a heaping helping of nitroglycerin!" The kitten in a chef's hat laughed maniacally as the pot he was stirring promptly exploded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaxecV