Adding Graphical Assets to the Generator

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This Post is going to include all the Tutorials I write regarding adding Custom Assets to the
RPG Maker MV Generator
Tutorial Built using Windows Version
Must have RPG Maker MV
Graphical Editor: GIMP 2.8.14

I'm going to be adding sections to this for each part as I work through adding my own custom content.  Each Section will be a different spoiler that I add onto.
I have chosen to change over to using GIMP for my graphical editor of choice as it is a free resource that anyone can get their hands on.  I will state that I am
not a fan of it's modular layout outside of a docked window, but that's a personal preference thing.  GIMP is available on Windows, OS X, and GNU/Linux here.

I am adding a Poll to this post asking what should I tutorial I should make next.  I will update the poll as options are completed to a level that could work and will
be looking to expand on what is written more if requested.

Sections With Content:
Basic Gimp Knowledge
General Knowledge and Information
Ears
Eyes
Facial Marks
Thanks!

Section in Progress: TBD
Basic Gimp Knowledge(In Progress)

Controls:
Holding Control while Scrolling will Zoom and and Zoom out on an image

Alpha Channels:
Gimp will display the image with the alpha channel overlayed so you see the finished image by default.  You can use the Layers-Brush window to Select the channels dialog Tab to see what is in the Channel Layers

Common Techniques(In Progress)
This section will house common techniques/tricks that I like to use while working with Graphical Design Software.  The major ones that I use over and over again will be listed here.  I've decided that I use these enough there there is no point in explaining these techniques every single time.
Single Window Mode

So in my initial posting I mentioned that the modular windows gets to me, I'm old fashioned I guess.  I can see where it could be useful but I like all my stuff to be in the window I'm working with.  Gimp DOES allow you to do this.  This small section will show that option for you.

Before

How

After

Layering
Layering is a process in which you have multiple drawn on layers that can be hidden and revealed and have see through parts that allow lower layers to show through them.  The best example I have is a stack of Transparencies.  That clear plastic that was used with projectors in school to show your work on the screen for the class.  If you were to draw on one of those and put it up there then drew on another one and put it up there, you could see both areas as long as one did not overlap the other, then one shown through better.  The best movie example of this technique comes from the first Iron Man movie.  When Tony tells Yensen to lay all the sheets flat together and you see the fully put together Iron Man suit prototype, that was effectively layering with Trace paper.  Now that I've explained the concept to death, let's learn how to do this in GIMP!

To help demonstrate this, I'm going to make a cat's eye... sort of... it's not going to be a masterpiece, just enough to get the point of layers across.  Fire we start with a new file.

Now we're going to click on the New Layer button, it's the first button in the Window section, looks like a piece of paper with a corner folded down.

^ ---That one

If you were to want to open another image as a layer, I like to do this when I'm working with facial marks, so that you don't run off of the item that you are modifying, or so you can see where you want to work.

^ --- Use that one

Now I'm going to add a few layers to this.  I'm going to draw a basic background eye, the Iris, put some detail on the Iris, and then the Pupil

Each time I added a new layer, named it and left it as transparency so that we can see through to the layers bellow.

Now in the Layers Tab there are a bunch of layers and I can hide some if I want to so I can see what something looks like without a specific layer.  First I'll hide the Iris Detail  then I'll bring that back and hide the Iris.

Notice that in the Layer Tab the eye icon that is next to the Layer I'm hiding disappears.  That means that layer is hidden so you won't see it.

Now I'm going to step through and hide all the Layers and bring them back one by one.

One important thing to note is that if you want to work with a layer, you will need to have it selected..  Which ever layer is selected is the Active layer at that time, meaning that you are actively working with it.  Layers are organized from the top to the bottom, meaning things at the bottom of the stack will be covered by anything that appears over it.  And that's the long and skinny of working with layers.

Channel Select and Edit

Cloning Techniques

Select and Edit

General Knowledge and Information(In Progress)
File Locations:
Windows Default Steam Root: SteamApps/common/RPG Maker MV/
Windows Default Root: Program Files (x86)/KADOKAWA/RPGMV/
Mac Default Steam Root: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/RPG Maker MV/
Mac Default Root: ~/Library/Application Support/RPG Maker MV/  (THIS IS A GUESS AND MAY NOT BE ACCURATE)

Mac OS X users, you may have to use Command + Shift + G from Finder to open a Go To Folder Dialog to get to that location.

All of these have a specific layered order to them I hope to unravel what those layers are in order in a bit:
FG_[iTEM_SELECTION]#_[p##]_[c#]_[m###].png

[iTEM_SELECTION] - this is related to the side menu options in the Generator

[p##] - this is related to the position in the selector. Don't use p00 for anything as that is normally the black option though not all options have that, ears for example to not

[c#] - I believe this allows us to have multiple parts to graphics that are assembled by the generator with the lowest number in front of the higher numbers.

[m###] - This relates to the colored layer that you can select if this is not present, the color selections will be grayed out and you will not be able to change the color in the Color selector.  I believe that each section is looking for a specific m### for the file name to make it something that can be filtered quickly for a specific section of the character for the options.  To test this, I added _m005 to the FG_FacialMark_p02_c1.png file.  The next time I booted up the generator, I was able to select colors on the Selector and watch them change the bandage color on the face graphic.  I had not changed the other files to include the change and there are no file name changes that need to be implemented for that to happen.  Instead, the _c.png file that exists is a mask that is applied and allows colors to be changed.  There is an RGB value that is used to make the color match what needs to be changed.  and the entire section that you want to be colored needs to match that.  I will be working to include the RGB values of each m### as well.  For the Face Folder, to have multiple colors show up there, the color options need to exist.  This is seen with the default graphics on Male Rear Hair 6 that has the Hair tie.  The Tie is color 2 and has the same name up until the _c#_ and increments from 1 to 2, so it's color option 2 and the m### for that option is m004 or Hair Sub Color.  For the actual files, that is all managed in the 1 file ending in _c as it provides the coloration layer.

m001 = Skin Color- R:249, G:193 , B:157
m002 = Eye Color- R:44, G:128, B:203
m003 = Hair Color - R:252 , G:203, B:10m004 = Hair Sub Color - R:184, G:146 , B:197
m005 = Facial Mark Color - R:0, G:145, B:150
m006 = Beast Ears Color - R:211 , G:206  , B:199
m007 = Clothing Main Color - R:174, G:134, B:130
m008 = Clothing Sub Color 1 - R:254, G:157, B:30
m009 = Clothing Sub Color 2 - R:28, G:118, B:208
m010 = Clothing Sub Color 3 - R:217, G:164, B:4
m011 = Cloak Main Color - R:216, G:172, B:0
m012 = ??? THIS IS A GUESS.  There are no current items that make use of this m### o_O ??? - Cloak Sub Color- R:???, G:???, B:???
m013 = Accessory 1 Main Color - R:211, G:206, B:194
m014 = Accessory 1 Sub Color 2 - R:218, G:52, B:110
m015 = Accessory 1 Sub Color 2 - R:164, G:201, B:17
m016 = Accessory 2 Main Color - R:199, G:132, B:7
m017 = Accessory 2 Sub Color 1 - R:192, G:211, B:210
m018 = Accessory 2 Sub Color 2 - R:65, G:85, B:182
m019 = Accessory 2 Sub Color 3 - R:186, G:59, B:69
m020 = Glasses Main Color - R:153, G:153, B:153
m021 = Glasses Sub Color 1 - R:204, G:186, B:210
m022 = Glasses Sub Color 2 - R:96, G:126, B:75

Wings - R:167, G:214, B:214

Tail - R:230, G:214, B:189

TAIL? O_O no m layer for tail color or for wings (Thanks MutationIvori for finding and pointing this out)? Curious

Working with the Gradient Colors
Contribution in whole by Binjovi  Me - "It may be IS possible to add more colors to the palette, Binjovi did some digging and turned up these results!   THANKS BINJOVI!!!"

I did some toying around with the gradients file last night. I couldn't do anything to the file itself to increase or decrease the number of color options available in the program. In fact, the same number of color options are present even when the file doesn't exist in the appropriate folder, but load up as all black. It seems probable that the number of colors are hard-coded into the program itself and cannot be added to.

However, colors can be replaced by different ones. So if there is a specific color or set of colors that you don't use often, you can replace those gradients in the file. Also, because any exported character image files retain the colors they were saved in, it's possible, though slightly more time-consuming, to switch back and forth between multiple gradient files to get the extra colors; provided you only use one file per a character. You can't mix-and-match. Not an ideal situation, but it works.

One thing that I experimented with was adding filters/color washes over the gradient file to make the color options fit a different palette. For instance, by adding a subtle sepia tone filter, the characters I was creating all had that brownish tint to them. They felt like they'd be right at home in a gritty tactical/strategy RPG; or perhaps in some sort of old-timey western or flashback. This file could be used in creating distinct palettes to help games stand apart.

I did also try some funky gradients, like one that resembles a shiny, chrome reflection, inverted gradients, and even one that ran through the colors of the rainbow. Most of those didn't look that great, but experimenting was pretty entertaining just on it's own.

Before I finish, I'll leave this image which breaks up the gradients into the sections MV uses on the different parts. It's not too difficult to figure out, but I figured it'd be a help.

The pure white bar is a bit of an anomoly. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. I thought that it might be the "default color" option, but coloring it in did nothing that I could see. I guess I should also mention that the gradent "bars" are four pixels thick. The top line of pixels are the only ones needed to be changed in order for the color to change on your character. The bottom three, as far as I can tell, are only there to fill in the icon in the program itself.

The File List
Face/Female/FG_AccA - Accessory 1 - 3 Color Max
Face/Female/FG_AccB - Accessory 2 - 4 Color Max
Face/Female/FG_BeastEars - Beast Ears
Face/Female/FG_Body - Character Neck
Face/Female/FG_Cloak# - 1 is Front side, 2 is Back Side
Face/Female/FG_Clothing# - 1 is Front side, 2 is Back Side
Face/Female/FG_Ears - Human Positioned ears
Face/Female/FG_Eyebrows - Eyebrows
Face/Female/FG_Eyes - Eyes
Face/Female/FG_Face - Face Shape
Face/Female/FG_FacialMark - Facial Marks
Face/Female/FG_FrontHair - Front hair of the character
Face/Female/FG_Glasses - Glasses
Face/Female/FG_Mouth - Mouth
Face/Female/FG_Nose - Nose
Face/Female/FG_RearHair - Rear hair of the character

Face/Male/FG_AccA - Accessory 1 - 3 Color Max
Face/Male/FG_AccB - Accessory 2 - 4 Color Max
Face/Male/FG_Beard - Beard
Face/Male/FG_BeastEars - Beast Ears
Face/Male/FG_Body - Character Neck
Face/Male/FG_Cloak# - 1 is Front side, 2 is Back Side
Face/Male/FG_Clothing# - 1 is Front side, 2 is Back Side
Face/Male/FG_Ears - Human Positioned ears
Face/Male/FG_Eyebrows - Eyebrows
Face/Male/FG_Eyes - Eyes
Face/Male/FG_Face - Face Shape
Face/Male/FG_FacialMark - Facial Marks
Face/Male/FG_FrontHair - Front hair of the character
Face/Male/FG_Glasses - Glasses
Face/Male/FG_Mouth - Mouth
Face/Male/FG_Nose - Nose
Face/Male/FG_RearHair - Rear hair of the character

Accessory 1(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Accessory 2(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Beards(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Beast Ears(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Body(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Cloak(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Clothing(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Ears(In Progress)
In this tutorial I am going to cover the removal of the human-like ears so you understand how that is done. As well as add a second pair of ears that are a different shape.

So cheating once more, I'm going to use a file that already exists to copy, rename, and edit.
Working initially in the Face/Female Folder here:

It is probably easier to acheive this effect with the regular human ears, but I'm going to use the Elf Ears to show certain things about the Alpha Channel.
So I'm copying FG_Ears_p02_c1_m001.png

and renaming it to FG_Ears_p03_c1_m001.png as that is the next open position.

Next we open the file in GIMP

Now that it's open we can go to the Channel Dialog Tab on the Channels - Brushes window and select the tab with the multi colored layers, looks almost like a stack of colored towels folded up.

In here we want to only work with the Alpha Channel so we deselect the Red Green and Blue channels.(Highlight blue means it is selected)

Now we select our Eraser Tool and increase the Size to something that will work quickly.  The end result will be that we no longer have an alpha channel allowing the ear to be seen.

Alternatively, here I have used the Pencil Tool to expand the area that is viewable from the Alpha Layer, then Deselected the Alpha Layer in the Channels - Brushes Channel Dialog Tab and reselected all the color layers and then edited with the Smudge tool, the Paint Brush on the Burn setting and a little pixel work with Pencil to make a 4rth ear option.  I'll show this on the final Generator as well.

Now we can save this file
NOTE: GIMP does not seem to handle saving traditionally as you might expect.  Saving is for their project file type.  "Export As" is for getting files to the traditionally expected File Names  If the file was already there you edit it and save it, that's fine.  If you are making a new file from scratch you will need to use File Export As to save it as a png file.

Now it's time to work with that icon file so there is an option available in the Generator menus.
We browse to our Variation/Female Folder

And now we make a copy of a file that's already there to edit/alter  (I'm making 2 cause I have 2 ear options I'm adding)

Rename them as desired (The blank/no ear is p03 and the new ear I made is p04) Then open them to edit.

For this edit, I deselected the Alpha Channel and made sure the Red, Green, and Blue Channels were selected.  I then used the rectangle select tool to select the first far left column of pixels and slowly copy and pasted the one column across to keep the gradient look that they had in place making sure the paste stayed the proper spacing at the top and bottom.  Because we are not copying and editing the Alpha Channel, we can keep copying this column all the way over and we keep the shape of the head cause it's already outlined in the Alpha Channel, so we end up with something like this:

Something is wrong there, we still have the ear's shape in the gradient O_O
No worries, simply deselect the red, green, and blue channels and then select the Alpha channel to edit it.
Select the Eraser Tool and then work from the tip of the ear back to remove its shape from view till you get something like this:

Now for the One where we are adding to the ear and making it a little bigger it gets a little more tricky.  I'm going to use the clone tool as selected to actaully clone the image I made in the Generator/Face/Female folder TO the icon image, thankfully they are sized the same so I can clone directly over to the image that is the elf ear.  I've selected only the red, green, and blue channels to make sure that I maintain my ear shape as it is.  But now that I'm done, I'm missing part of my graphic still (Image shows the Clone Tool Selected as well as the original image and the painted over image with the original ear shape, not our new one)

Now I'm going to select the Alpha channel and deselect the red, green, and blue to work with the Alpha channel only.  With the Pencil tool I'm going to add to the Alpha Channel

There we are... well not so much... you might notice that we have added too much.  Not to worry, I can use the eraser tool to edit that back and alternate between eraser and pencil to get what I want till it looks like this.

Now I should be able to open my Generator and under the Female Ear tab I should have 2 new options!

Eyebrows(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Eyes(In Progress)
Adding Custom Eyes to the RPG Maker MV Generator

In this tutorial I am going to take an eye graphic that exists and modify it to create a cat-slit style pupil for an eye set.  This will appear in the Face View section of the generator as the eyes are not large enough to get fine detail for the Walk and Side View, that or there is not a file to work with as of yet.  I will be testing to see if it is possible to add a specific Eye layer to the SV folder and have it load.

First I want to create my eye graphic.  I'm going to cheat by copying a graphic that is already there and modifying it then saving it under another name.  Keep in mind that physical location is important.  Every peice is sized to the same height and width and where it shows up in the image is where it will be on the character.  So if you intend on making a whole new facial set that faces a different way, you will need to create all layers and then work to deconstruct them to their various parts.  Those familiar with Graphic Design shouldn't have too much issue with that.  For the purposes of this tutorial, that's a bit more advanced and will not be directly covered.

First I am browsing to the proper folder as I'm using the Steam Version it's under SteamApps/Common/RPG Maker MV/Generator/Face/Female

I've decided I like eye position p05.  So I'm copying that and pasting it in the same folder and I'm copying both files for that position:

FG_Eyes_p05_c1_m002.png
FG_Eyes_p05_c2.png

From what I've learned of the Generator, this means that the file with c1 will be placed in front of the file with c2.  The m002 means that this is going to match the eye color layer so when you select eye color this layer will change colors.  It is not added to the second file because we do not want that to change colors at all, if we did, we would probably want that to match to the skin color and use m001.

Windows keeps the file name the same, except that it adds " - Copy" to the end before the extension (.png)
Looking down we notice that I have Eyes for all the way out to Position 13.  So then I want my eye that I'm adding to be Position 14 so that it shows up as another option.  So I rename both files here as follows:

FG_Eyes_p05_c1_m002.png   becomes   FG_Eyes_p14_c1_m002.png
FG_Eyes_p05_c2.png   becomes   FG_Eyes_p14_c2.png

Now we open the newly renamed files in our preferred graphics editor and I'm going to zoom in on the actual pupil area to make my edits.  

I've selected my draw tool and set its Size to 1 pixel so I only edit 1 pixel at a time.

Now that I've edited the eyes I'm going to save it.  I don't have to mess with the Alpha Channel cause I'm not altering the shape of the eyes. 

GIMP automatically is showing the image with the Alpha Channel Applied to it.  I will need to learn how to work with the Alpha Channel in GIMP before I can provide details on that part.

So now I've created my face Eye.  But what about the Eye shape?  If I was editing the eye shape I'd want to work with the other file FG_Eyes_p14_c2.png to change that up a little and then save the Alpha Channel.  I will be comming back to work on this particular part.

Now I'm going to add the icon option to be able to select our new Eye Choice.

First I navigate to the proper folder: SteamApps/Common/RPG Maker MV/Generator/Variation/Female/

Then I find my file that I liked since that was p05 I'm copying that file again as before

renaming it to match p14

and then opening it to edit.

I make my edit and then I save the file.  There are Alpha Channels on this graphic as well, if I was changing the shape of the head somehow I might want to edit it, like I did when I removed the ears, but that's really not neccisary here.

Now that I have these three files in place and saved.  I should have a new Eye set in the Female tab.  This will not show up in the male tab as that is in the Male set of folders, we'd have to edit those there.

Face(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Facial Marks(In Progress)

In this tutorial I'm going to add old people wrinkles as an option to the Facial Marks section.
Once again back into the folders

This time we're grabbing a file named FG_FacialMark_p02_c1.png Note there is no m### here meaning it won't change color with options selected that do change color.
Copy paste

Rename to the next mark in our sequence  p03 in the case of Female Actors.

Open her up in GIMP

To try to make things easier on myself I am adding a few layers to practically build a face without the generator.  This is NOT the recommended method for making faces, but it will help with the placement of my wrinkles on characters.  I will delete these layers again before exporting the image to ensure I ONLY export the wrinkles to our PNG file.
To add a new layer to the image I'm going to hit the new layer button on the Layers - Brushes window.

Initially I want the face graphic to go behind it all, so I'm going to add the face as a Background Layer.  Here I've named it Face Outline.

Because I want it behind our mark, I'm going to move it down in the list.  Think of the list on the Layers - Brushes window as a stack from top to bottom.  The stuff on the bottom will get covered by the things on top.  That's the most basic explanation of how layers work.   Here you see that we can't see our original Facial Mark graphic because it is covered by a White, Non-Transparant Layer.

By just clicking on the layer I want to move and dragging it down, we can reorganize the layers.  Now we see out original Mark again!

Next I'm going to open one of the face files and make sure I have focus on the window with our face file in it.

Select all  (Windows: Ctrl + A; Mac: Command + A)
Copy (Windows: Ctrl + C; Mac: Command + C)
Select the project we are working with and ensuring the layer I want to past this to is active.  The active layer will always be highlighted blue or grey.

and pasting it onto the image we are working with.

Notice that we now have a Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)  It's in the order in the stack where we want it, but we might want to drag it around to properly place it which is why it appears as a floating selection.  Because I had the Face Outline Layer selected, it will "Drop" to that layer and will appear in the graphic as though it was added in that location, but in the list, because it is a floating layer, it will appear at the very top as it is important to know when you have a floating layer that may drop to a lower level.  Here is a picture of the Move tool should you want to use it, it's located on the Toolbox - Tool Option Window

All the layers I add after will be transparent layers so that we can see past what is drawn there to the image below.  Next, to drop the Floating Selection to the layer I want I'm going to select the Rectangle Selection tool and click off of the image somewhere inside the GIMP window I am working with.  You will know you are in a good spot to do so as there will be a message at the bottom that reads "Click to anchor the floating selection"

Now that I've clicked, notice that the Floating Selection is gone and that the Face Outline Layer now had my face in it.  On top of all of this, it is behind the Mark Layer so you can see what that looks like.

I'm going to add some more features to make it easier to work with.  The only thing that I've done different for each layer is I have now selected the transparent option like this.

So here I've added a lot of layers.  One for each part and I've stacked them in an order that makes sense to me.

So now I feel confident going back to my FG_FacialMark_p03_c1.png Layer and drawing on it without going "out of bounds" or off face.  Wrinkles off face would be a horrible problem in my opinion.  And here's what I came up with.  With all the layers still there.

Only issue is, I still have that bandage from the original image I copied!  Time to erase that with the Eraser Tool!  To be quasi Lazy, I've used the Magic Wand Selection tool to select all the blank space.  Then used the Select Menu at the top to Invert my selection.  Now if I'm careful and only use the eraser over the bandage area I should only erase the bandage.  I could have also used the Lasso Selection Tool to draw my selection around the bandage and been as reckless as I wanted to be.  There are many ways to do similar things, I'm a creature of habit to be sure.  so the Magic Selection is generally how I go.

Ah, Much Better... but wait I have a lot of layers that I don't need or want in the Graphical Asset, this is supposed to be an overlay that works with the Facial Marks Layer...  Better delete those extra layers.

So what about my alpha channel now?  Well, as I was working it was working to apply the alpha channel as well.  In fact, I cheated a little. I just put down some brown/purple-ish lines and then used the eraser tool to get it to look how I wanted.  In reality this was applying Alpha over the image to make the lines appear the way I wanted.  So let's export this and see if it looks as impressive in the Generator as I want it to here.

That said, we still have another step to go!  Anything that we make should have an Icon file as well so the option shows up properly.  Let's do that now as well.
Browse to the Variation Folder:

Firstly we need to make a icon file so we find one copy, paste  NOTE: I'm using a Face icon file, what?  Well the point is to have as much of the wrinkles show up as possible.  It doesn't really matter which file we work off of as long as the icon make sense.  So here, I've opted to use a Face icon as my base, it'll be fine.

and rename.

Open the file

I've left the original FacialMark File open so I can just copy and paste it over.

Now the wrinkles are in the wrong spot.  So now I'm going to click and drag on the lines of the wrinkes so that the Drop Ancor on the mouse cursor goes away, once it has I'm selecting the stuff we pasted so we can drag it around.  Now it's in a good location

I click off the image we pasted so that Floating selection drops into place again.

And now I export my file to save it as a png.
Now we should be able to open the generator and have wrinkles as an option under the female tab like so.

As you may have noticed, I didn't do anything with any of the sprite parts.  I feel like that would be a major letdown if I did not include
those as well, so here we go on that portion of Facial Marks.  We're going into a new folder this time the SV/Female folder to make
wrinkles for the sprites as well.

Copy

Rename

Open

And let's get to work and first we'll open some layers to help make sure we draw in the right spots.  See the Common Techniques for how to do that.

Now we have our background layer in so we know where to draw.  This won't stay in, we'll be deleting it later to make our final image.  Now make sure you are working with the original image layer.  Should have the same naming convention as the file itself.  In our case SV_FacialMark_p03.png 

Once that is selected, it's time to erase what was already there, we don't want those bandages still.  I used the Fuzzy Selection Tool to select all the blank space around the drawn images and then inverted the selection to run over all of it with an eraser.  That's really an unnecisary precaution as we're just erasing everything on this layer anyway.  So you don't have to do that per say, it's a quirk of mine to delete only what I want.

There, now those are deleted I can start drawing.

This could have been tedious, really I just made lines on one face and then copy and pasted them.  For this result.

We now delete the extra layer out.

Now we can Use File Export As to save it as the PNG file and replace the original that was there.

Now we have wrinkles on our Side View Battler.  But wait, there's more!  Need to do the TV and TVD as well to make this complete.  It's really a matter of repeating this same process, but I'm going to step through it anyway.

Copy

Rename

Open

Add Reference Layer

Edit

Delete Reference Layer

Export As...

Move to the TVD folder

Copy

Rename

Open

Add Reference Layer

Edit

Delete Reference Layer

Export As...

Now when we go into the Generator we have the marks show up on ALL parts of the character that is generated.  Remember that all the files need to have the same p## in all the folders so that the Generator knows that it is all the same option.

You may have noticed the SV_FacialMark_p03_c.png file that we created.  If I wanted I could work to make the marks be something that has a color option like we see on the male model.  The way that works is there is a specific color that is coded into that file that will replace the colored area in the p##_c.png file with the color selected from the options.  I will go into more detail on that later when I have more time.

Front hair(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Glasses(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Mouth(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Nose(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

Rear Hair(Incomplete)
Not Yet Completed...

THANKS!(Incomplete)
This section is dedicated to the people that have helped me write these tutorials, found information that has helped or in general supported the creation of this document.

Sharm - For moving my post to the proper forum and educating me on proper policy and procedure regarding post placement and how to contact a moderator.

Information Gatherers:
Ultima2876 - Thanks for getting me the Mac Steam Default Folder

MutationIvori - Thanks for the details on m### your assistance in playing with those numbers has been a help and expanded on assumtions I was making so that we hopefully have more accurate information.
Sopo201 - Thanks for the actual Windows Default Path

All of the Vocal Supporters that encouraged me to keep going as motivation is something I struggle with on a regular basis.  Knowing that this is helpful and people want this info really helps keep be going with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
There is going to be a mild delay on this as I relearn GIMP and make all future tutorials in it.  As GIMP is a free graphical editing software that is multiplatform as well, I figure this is the best option to reach the most people.  Sorry for the delay.

Kistulot

Easily Distracted Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Agreed, your work here is really awesome so far, I appreciate your getting on this so quickly! :)

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sadly I'll be having to take a break for a bit here in a moment as I have other plans for the day.  Though I'm going to see what I can do about continued work to make it so people can create content specifically geared to the Generator as I see it as a more powerful tool then creating sprite sheets each and every time from scratch.   Person preferrence.  =^_^=

cheese_pizza

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Take your time, these assets should be very useful. Thank you for your work on it.

Kistulot

Easily Distracted Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Exactly! ^-^ I was praising you for getting started. Don't feel the need to finish quickly. That the work has begun benefits us all.

MutationIvori

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I noticed that none of the files in the side-view, top view, or downed sprites have a m### number. Because you don't see the tail in the face portrait, I imagine that's why there is no m### number for it.

Also, it's the same color palette as hair and beast ears. I have a wild idea that it might use one of those numbers, so I'm gonna experiment super quick.

Also, don't make sub-folders in the generator's folder to store your own junk. The character generator can read that too, and it was causing duplicate selection icons to show up. (But not the actual parts, for whatever reason?)

Edit: Okay so wings don't seem to have a m### either, I noticed. Reaffirming the idea that m### seems to be face graphics only. As for my experiment, I cannot get parts to show up in the portrait under the Tail section. (I tested with a duplicate of cat ears renamed to FG_Tail_etc...etc..., and they just did not show up.) So I have no idea if the hair or cat-ear color pallete functions for it?

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Mac root folder is ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/RPG Maker MV/, FYI :)

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have noticed that there are some m### that do not impact the Face graphic at all but change the colors on the battle sprites.  It may be that the m### is for things that could impact the face generator.  Tail and wings might not.  I think if I wanted to have wings in the Generator I'd probably add them to the cload layer, but could you do that on the back layer Cloak2 and give it the m### for say beast ears to be able to change it with those colors?  or maybe the eyes.  I'll have to test with that. 

What I'm talking about is Female Clothing origingal Position 2, (counting the blank/naked as 0) Sub Color 1 has no involvement on the Face Graphic but the battler, walk, and damage have a color that changes.  I'll be making additional posts/tutorials on how I'd so certain things that are not options here.  Cloaks in the Face picture (Wouldn't mind Disney's Gargoyle style wing that hook in for a make shift cloak around the neck but could also have expression as they are riled and the like.  Resuming work today with Facial Marks to try to make more old people then what is in the People 3, positions 7 and 8.  It may not appear as nice as the actual graphics, but the point to show how to add and alter, not be good at it just yet =^_^=  I wonder if it would be a bad thing to have a poll on here on which topic to cover next.  I don't want to be doing things that people are not interested in while they are waiting for something that helps their projects now.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV Tutorials. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Windows Default Root is: Program Files (x86)/KADOKAWA/RPGMV

Hoppy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I want a tutorial on front and rear hair and clothing

Btw I use Paint.Net and have a beefier PC with paintshop pro as well would these work on either or both?

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ Sharm - Thank you for moving the post, I only saw the tutorials after I had started the post and did not ask the right people about being able to move it.  Sorry for posting to the wrong spot.  Won't happen again.

@LectroNyx - "Body" is the actual representation of the body in the Generator.  This appears to be a static image that is there so that there is body in the generator and not just floating clothing.  There isn't an option to select body type in the generator, so I don't believe it was the intent for that to be something to be messed with.  Which I feel is similar for the color selections/gradient.png file.  That said, if you wanted to change up those items for a few characters to be generated, one could make an alternate file, rename the original, make the new file match what the original one was named and it would appear in the Body Layer for the Generator.  I'll go more in depth with that when I get to that tutorial, but that's what I expect to write at the time of this post.

@Hoppy - Any graphics editing program that can work with the Alpha Channels will work.  I prefer Paint Shop Pro 7 myself, though it's a bit out dated.  I'm making these in GIMP as it is a free tool that is cross platform for Windows and Mac that anyone can get their hands on at no cost.

@ Sopo201 - I'll work to update the document.  Thanks :-D

UPDATE:  I've completed Facial marks at this time.  I think to keep myself from getting Burned out, I may do one of these a day for the next few days.  Please use the poll to vote and let me know what you'd like me to do next!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sweet. This should really come in handy. The first thing I did after getting MV was rush in to make some custom generator stuff, but I was shut down by the somewhat confusing nature of it. I managed to figure out how to add something on my own, but I still didn't understand the meaning of the conventions. Thanks for your efforts in clearing this up for us.

Baka-chan

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Very nice tutorial.

*cough* The image you used as background is the same image I used for my custom mousepad *cough*

kennysaurs

Amazing Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Mac root folder is ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/RPG Maker MV/, FYI :)
This is not the case for me :c

I can't find the root folder for MV at all! I tried searching from the very root , Macintosh HD, which is the equivalent of searching from 'My Computer' in Windows.

Only my project folder shows. Has anyone with Steam version and a Mac been able to find the root folder somewhere else?

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I do know that with newer versions of Mac OS X they have attempted to hide the Library Folder.  Now the ~ before it all is also important when trying to enter the address, you might be able to hit Command + Shift + G  while in Finder to go to a select folder and that should work to help you find it potentially.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasaseocirebon