Adding more Script Calls and Plugin Commands in the Database.

Would you like this feature?

• Total voters

TheTitan99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Description of the Feature:

I personally believe, unless there is a good reason otherwise, everything should have an ability for script calls and checks, as well Plugin Command calls. Currently, there are several places that these could be added, seemingly pretty easily.

After items and skills are used, there should be the ability to call Scripts and Plugin Commands in the Effects box. Enemy action patterns should have a script check, so that they could use a skill based on any potential script eval, and not just on the default event styled evals.

I'd also be glad if there were script checks on event and troop pages, but there's a separate topic for that here already so I'll avoid talking on that.

Mockups:

Why is this feature good?

It works as a cover all. No matter what idea the user may have, there is always some way that it can be checked or called upon without needing to get too crazy. You could have a skill raise your gold count when used without needing to waste a common event, you could have an enemy use a skill based on how many party members are alive, whatever. It covers all bases.

Also, it really helps in regards to plugins. For example, if a plugin changes is so that there is HP, MP, TP, and a new stat SP, there will be no default event ways to check for SP. Events can't check for nor modify it, enemies can't search for it. However, the plugin creator could just make a script function called, like, a.checkSP(), and all of a sudden, enemies can now use skills based on their SP. This is just a simple example.
For more complex, many people use new Combat Systems, like FFX's ctb, where a lot of the default turn checking doesn't work for enemies. Now, with this, the plugin maker can simply give some script calls. Use a skill, it runs a Plugin Command that makes the combat tick backwards. Enemies can use skills only if they're this much slower than a party member. Sky's the limit here!

Some of this, though not all, can already be done with careful use of common events, troop events, ect. But this greatly, greatly simplifies and streamlines it all, while fitting neatly into RPG Maker MV's menus.

Possible issues with this feature?

Maybe it'll make a few things look a little less user friendly? I doubt that'd matter much, as non-script users never would have to use these, but it is something I've thought about.

feckyeslife

Sleepy Cat Mom
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of this is possible via plugins (like Yanfly's various Cores which expand functionality), so I can see how including script calls in things like skills would be useful. I don't know if issues would arise if someone put in multiple in a single DB item or if the order of when the call was made would become important, but the functionality would be interesting.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
You could run script calls and plugin commands via common events that you run via the item/skill effect box, or call those codes directly using the damage formula (so that you don't need to make a common event for it).

Scripted enemy AI would really be handy

Fornoreason1000

Black Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My Current working around for this complete lack of feature would be liberated by this. This is why note tags are "great" workarounds but these take the cake.

For Skills/ Items i don't bother with the common event because you need to use some hacky way to get the refrenced item and apply it.
I used note tags referencing functions to add these special effects in this case.

For Enemy AI , i don't use the RPGmakers way at all, i use a separate script and reference it with the note tag. it get dynamically loaded per enemy which kinda sucks. I keep them seperate because i don't like the idea of loading each and every enemies AI code. ( 8 < 2000)

Both of these methods are pretty ludicrous and this feature would solve that.

Philsco

Flipped Out RPG2Knet.com vet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I agree, this should be integrated as a part of the core engine.

xDGameStudios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Don't know why I didn't thought of it earlier :) it is a very cool addition!

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Agreed, everything should have script calls and plugin commands ability and places with possible conditions should have script conditions. It's too limiting when they don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Please watch out for your hands when handling chests! XD Did this a few days ago, it was fun to animate

Apparently, it's illegal to be drunk on licensed premises: pubs, etc. It's illegal for keepers of public houses to permit drunkenness and disorderly conduct. lol.
Pillow Hero - A 16-bit arcade styled puzzle game, update 0.5 is live now on Itch.io! --> https://bifrost09.itch.io/pillow-hero
Would you pay monthly for your pc if you'd get "free" upgrades every 2 years?
well, I definitely have a type, cute redheads with medusa piercings, met and hit it off with two of them in the last 72 hours, what does it mean lol?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AkiraSenki