Adding something to a character battle sprite mid-battle?

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there! I was unsure of where to put this because I'm not sure whether or not it will require a plugin, or which plugin it would require if so.

I'm looking for a way to add something to a player character's sprite mid-battle. Specifically, I want to add a pair of wings behind the character after a certain skill is used. To be clear, I can not swap out the entire sprite, as the character sprite will be created by the player with a character generator. So, I specifically just need to be able to add wings behind the sprite that was created by the player.

I figure there must be a way to find a loophole such as messing with animations, action sequences, or weapon sprites somehow, but I don't know enough about the system to figure it out.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that completely depends on the character generator you're using - which is not the default generator because that is in the editor and not in the game.

if whatever you use for a character generator has that option, then you can do it following that construct's rules.
if that generator does not have this option, then what you are asking for is impossible unless someone rewrites that generator.

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm using SumRndmDde's Character Creator, which doesn't provide any way to add individual parts to sprites without opening up the whole creator, so I think using that plugin is a no go.

I thought I had found a workaround using Yanfly's Weapon Animation, since that swaps the weapon part of the battle sprite. I added a new weapon that included wings as part of its sprite, and that indeed added wings to the character.
1658202569459.png
Unfortunately, the weapon itself only appears during an attack, so the same is true of the wings. I just need to make it so the wings are present all the time.

I feel like I'm on the right track, I just need a little extra ways to go to make this work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like I'm on the right track, I just need a little extra ways to go to make this work.
and there you are wrong. all those animations and weapon sheets are only temporary display exactly as your test has shown, and there is no quick change for that.
you would need a complete rewrite of the action sequences to allow for static changes that are not part of the actor sprite, and even that would be difficult to handle.

That is why I pointed you to the character generator. and if that generator does not have the required functions to partially change the actor, then it would imho still be easier to rewrite the generator plugin to add that function than to rewrite the rest of the battle engine.

Or look for a better generator that has that option, it's usually called and used as "visual equipment".

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It took me a while, but I did finally find a plugin that works for me. First I found that there actually is a dynamic sprite editing plugin that's meant to go to with the character creator I was already using. Unfortunately, this conflicted with my other plugins for some reason, and I couldn't use it.

But finally, I found this plugin for Visual Equipment. This works well for me, with only one little hitch. I have to change the characters weapon or armor to change the sprite. It'd be easy enough if not for the fact that weapons and armor use Attachable Augments, and I can't currently see a way to swap a character's equipment but have the same Augment attached.

If anyone knows a workaround for this, let me know, I'm gonna keep troubleshooting. I'm also gonna try to work out why the first plugin I found isn't working, but I'll make a new thread for that if necessary.

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update: I found a simple way to carry over the Augment effects upon switching armor. I basically have the Augments carry a passive state, and have an event record those states as variables. Then I swap armor, and reapply the Augment's effects onto the player.

Unfortunately, the game crashes every time I make an attempt at updating the character's sprite mid-battle. After disabling every other plugin except Visual Equipment, this still happens, and gives me the following error.

1658540713349.png

If anyone knows how to proceed, let me know!

PS: At this point, I know we're pretty well into plugin territory, so i don't mind if this topic is moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

MaryFaces.png
Finally drew a face for my character Triple M, aka, Mary Mars McQueen. She's only ever had the TV thing on here head for her wrestling gimmick.
I have a screenshot from my Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild fan remake:
screenshot.png
I wish I'd been able to take a photo of the kittens at work. I love working at the pet shop... also those kittens just wanted my attention all day, but I had to stock the cat food and stick stickers on pet beds.
Of course, I did make some time for those sweet little kitties. They just wouldn't stop meowing!
Slightly late due to PC issues, but come and join me for Throwback Thursday! Tonight we'll be continuing Beneath a Steel Sky. https://twitch.tv/trihanstreams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimsoncrimes