Adding Unicode Symbols and Characters to Font

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Rikifive, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    There are tons of nice fonts, that don't support Polish characters (żźćńłśąęó/ŻŹĆŃŁŚĄĘÓ) and I'd love to add them so badly to be able to use them properly.

How it looks like:

Font Test on the site with fonts:

[​IMG]

GIMP:

[​IMG]

RM GAME:

Replaces missing fonts with famous "".

Do you know a good and preferably simple software that would allow me to just add these few characters? It's an issue, because without that I can't use many fonts in my games, that are in Polish Language (thinking of future). Just a small personal thing.

People suggested me using Font Forge and it's a perfect software ~ I can easily add the missing characters, but now the only issue is exporting. I have no idea how to export the font properly. I've managed to do it, but the font freaks out ~ everything works great and there are the added characters, but the font becomes more sharp (it's like losing shading). I have no idea what's happening with this.

Adding characters is very easy, I just can't export it properly.

Does anybody know more about that software or know other programs? (of course free ones)

If it is important ~ the font, that I'm trying to edit is the 'Equestria' font. 

Any help appreciated. 

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
  2. meowchelle

meowchelle Veteran

I've never used Font Forge before so I don't know how the program works or what the settings are but if what you're saying is: you're able to export the font, the font works and is usable, but they come out too sharp and you would like it to look softer/smoother then...

look through your export preferences for anti-aliasing or "hinting".

That's what adds the shading/fuzziness around the pixels to make it smooth/soft.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
    Rikifive likes this.
  3. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I've tried changing stuff here and there, ticking all the boxes, putting random numbers everywhere but still nothing changed.

It's weird, that it's not loading the options from the original font and I have to recreate them. I have no idea how that stuff works. :(  

After taking more and more tries before posting I finally managed it to work I think.

During exporting the program was suggesting me to change the height of the characters' field or something. It was saying, that it is set to 2048 for this font, but it is recommended to use 1000. Since it was set to 2048 by default for that font, then I thought it is okay and was ignoring that message, because it's an imported font, so it may have its own settings. Since it was keeping telling me that, I decided to try that and it seems that that was the source of the problem. Just one number in font settings... Now the font looks like it should in RM game. Too bad I was not listening to program.

Also it throws 20+ other recommendations, that some characters are done wrongly / something is missing - not my font, not my characters, not my fault, but is seems to work anyway. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think I'll be fine, though not 100% sure.

Thanks for help and your time.  :D

[​IMG]

It is solved! (=

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016