Adding visual cues to your events

IsFutureBright

Lightning Bolt Action
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Hey guys, how is it going? I've written a short article on how to add visual cues to your events in order to make it easier for you when you go back to your maps to fix or add something. Pasting from my original blog post:

I’ve been meaning write some tips about RPG Maker for a while but never seemed to find the time. With things quieter with Ladra, I’ve decided to stop being lazy about this and just make it happen. 

This time around I’ll be talking about adding visual cues to your events.

It’s usually pretty helpful to be able to quickly identify your events without having to open them up. In case of events that work as a controller, like with the flow of a cutscene for example, it’s nice to have a visual reminder about it.

So the first thing that I do is I create a character named Director (or any you like, really) and use him as a global variable. In Ladra’s case this worked really well since I only had one character at all times, but even if your games has a big party I’m pretty sure you can tailor the idea to your needs.

RpgMakerTip1_a.PNG

With this set up, you can configure your events so the first page always checks to see if this character is in the party. Since he’ll never be, the first page will just be ignored, but since the first one is used by RPG Maker you’ll be able to see it clearly on the map you’re editing.

RpgMakerTip1_c.PNG

The final result will be something as seen below. In it I have two event on the left corner where the first one is my cue for checkpoints while the second is used to start the music. On the bookshelf you can also see another cue which is for the book collectible present throughout the game.

RpgMakerTip1_b.PNG

This makes it a hundred times easier for me when I’m going back through the maps to rework or patch something up. 

Well, that’s it for now. I hope you guys enjoyed it and can make good use of it in your projects. Cheers o/

--

If you guys liked it please comment below and check out the blog here and if you wanna try Ladra out, feel free as well. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when you post the wrong download link to your game and wonder why it got so few downloads... :mad:
Trying to make it so my map is cleared of "random" events after the player leaves the map... to little success >.<
Had my first interaction with a legit homophobe concerning one of my games today. Tempting to engage, but pointless.
The BIGGEST immersion breaker for Sword Art Online is that Kirito keeps finding overpowered playstyles using "bad things nobody uses cuz its bad". Players WILL use bad gear BECAUSE it's bad.
When I said I'd make 20 games in 2020, I scared myself. Now it's mid-February, and I've made 6 games. So I got this. But, then again...do I got this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fit2def