Adjusting to college life?

RabbitFire

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Asian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I just passed my first day in college and to be honest it feel really different from High School.
It feels, well, kinda scary. Everything is up to me now, there is no more principal, no more forced schedule, I have to make appointment with my lecturer, I have to choose which classes to take, everything is on me and it honestly feel exciting and scary at the same time. On one hand, freedom; on the other, gone are the safety nets and close friends I could always fall back on.

How do you guys deal with college life? did you ever missed anything from your high school years?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I found setting a routine and sticking to it early on was the best way. I had some set hours that I went to the library no matter what. Sure, on week 1 there wasn't much to do there, so it just became quiet reading time, but it helps.

Also setting a consistent bedtime and wake up time for each day helps. I told my students (I teach 7 am classes) that the best way to survive 7 am math class is to get up as if you have 7 am class every day for about 2 - 3 weeks. You'll hate yourself for it about day 4 or 5, but by day 14 - 15 you should be adjusted to it and it will be no issue.

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dealt with it by sleeping through all my morning classes and eventually dropping out.

I will be going to a local community college for web design, though, and they have a program that honestly feels more like high school, which is obviously something I need.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Miss anything from my high school years? Only the social aspect of it but other than that I really loved the freedom and having more control of my life. I would actually hate to go back to the K-12 format.

Since your college situation and your college experiences will greatly vary from mine, I will only try to stick to general points that I find to be useful in most situations.

Register for your classes early. Think about what you want to take and also what you need to graduate. A little bit of planning can help go a long way. You don't have to follow your plans exactly as is, but it will make your life a bit easier. Registering early also allows you to pick classes you want to take, at the ideal times, and with the ideal professors. Don't like 7am classes? You can control that as many classes have multiple times and days of the week. How do you learn about ideal professors? Visit http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ where you can look up professors from your college and view feedback posted by other students. Of course not every professor will be on here or they may have little feedback and because other students wrote these, you also have to take things with a grain of salt to. They generally turn out to be reliable from my experience though and can save you from a potentially bad professor or one who will give you a hard time even if you are doing everything you're supposed to do.

Try not pile up all your general education classes in your freshman and sophomore year and take your major classes in your junior and senior years. This is bad because the moment you feel committed to a major you should try to get as many years of proficiency at it as possible. The other reason is you don't wanna pile a bunch of hard classes into one semester and should try to have a mix of both easy and hard classes in all your semesters so the difficulty remains roughly the same. Not always possible, but you can make an attempt. This is especially important if you have GPA requirements to maintain for scholarships, financial aid, or just want to make honors society / dean's list for consistently high GPAs. A really tough semester can bring in a lot of stress, discourage you, and bring your cumulative GPA down severely. Classes that aren't as difficult will seem more difficult because you are stressed about a lot of difficult classes simultaneously. Have your semesters in manageable chunks.

If you can, try to get your textbooks as cheap as possible. There are many sites that can help with this such as https://www.cheapesttextbooks.com/. I would generally avoid the school bookstore as they will not only rip you off in how much the book costs, but also when you go back to sell the book again. It is of course more convenient than buying/selling/renting online though and one advantage to the bookstore is you can actually look through the used textbooks and see the notes/highlights/annotations other students before made. This can make studying easier and you wouldn't be able to preview inside used books online to see if the notes from the previous student were sufficient. If possible, see if your professor also allows older editions of a book. Older editions usually don't change and because they aren't the newest, they can be significantly cheaper.

I would also suggest you try not to finish in four years. There is no rush to getting your degree on time. Rushing adds stress and when things don't go to plan you will also be more likely to break down. Take your time as college is not a race and is also rather expensive so this can help your wallet to. An employer isn't going to hire you any faster for getting your degree sooner than later nor will they ask how long it took you to get it.

Hope this helps.

BoredSoul

Probably Drunk
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
use some banging pickup lines like wag wan piff ting what's your bbn pin
make sure to get some expensive creps
nah but seriously listen to the guys above, helpful advice

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People3_5 added!
index.php

Marketing seems to be about reducing dependence on luck to sell a product, as well as expanding the number of avenues in which luck can play a role in selling a product.
So, I've been wanting to do this randomized logic puzzle in my game for years now. I finally figured out how to do it by using arrays and a few small script calls. It's based on the Einstein Fish Puzzle! :D Though, I have no idea how to actually have the player put in answers.... might start a thread about it.

The projectiles shown in this video are as follows:
1, Basic Triple
2, 30-Degree Arc
3, Randomized Blast Wave
4, 8-way
5, 8-way Double
6, 8-way Slowness
7, 120-Degree Arc Repetitive
8, Projective Triple
9, Split 8-way
10, 2-way Split Randomized Arc
11, HP-MP Split Arc