'Advance' Skill from Final Fantasy 3 (DS)?

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I wanted to fiddle with something for a skill, but wouldn't know where to begin. What I'm trying to emulate is the skill 'Advance', used by the Warrior from the Nintendo DS remake of Final Fantasy III. What this does is allows the user to attack with twice the normal damage on the turn they use it, but until the next round of combat caused their Defense stat to get nerfed. In effect, it's something of an all-out attack that deals a lot more damage at the risk of getting hurt worse if attacked in that same round.

I'd looked around a little, but couldn't exactly find something that applies the stat reduction to oneself due to making the attack against an enemy. Closest thing that comes to mind if Yanfly's 'Skill Cost Manager' script, but it seems to only be for lowering HP, Gold, or even items, in addition to MP and TP.

Anomaly

coffee.empty? ? refill_coffee : drink_coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
[US] English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi there! The best option I've come up that seemed to work for me was doing a couple of the following steps when creating the skill.

• Create a new State in the Database and name it whatever you like.
  • Set the State's Removal conditions to 1 turn for both boxes.
  • In the Features tab of the State use Parameter to set the DEF rate to any number below 100%. (75% = 25% defense parameter decrease.)
  • Create a new Skill and name that to Advance.
  • Go up to the formula box and calculate a new damage value. (The default attack uses a.atk *4 - b.def * 2 so you could just change the * 4 to * 8 for double damage.)
  • In the Effects tab of the Skill add the new state you created and leave it at 100%

That should work entirely without issue. I have not actually tested it, but if you have any other questions or a certain step doesn't work, let me know. On a side note, there is a DEF debuff option already in the Effects tab, but I'd prefer having more control on the actual debuff's effects.

Feliaria

Good with Ideas, Bad with Execution
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's actually quite easy I've found!

You create the damage formula for the skill, (like going with the default attack skill, Advance could be something like (a.atk * 8 - b.def *3) or something around there. Then you go to the states tab I nthe database and create a State called Advance (Let's make ours 50% decreased defense for 1 turn to 1 turn, (I THINK it'll work like this, but what might happen is it might not start counting down until that turn is over, so one turn = the next turn, etc.)). You would then go back to the damage formula for Advance and type this:

a.add_state(x) a.atk * 8 - b.def * 3

X is whatever number your state is, i.e., Death state is 1, poison is 2, etc. If this works correctly, it should add the state to your character and then deal damage, though I may be missing a ";", like this.

a.add_state(x) ; a.atk * 8 - b.def * 3

Hope this helps! <3

Last edited by a moderator:

RachelTheSeeker

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@feliaria Sounds great. Sorry for a lack of a reply for so long; busy week. x_x I'll test it out, and if it works I'll follow up. Thank you for taking on my request. =D

Feliaria

Good with Ideas, Bad with Execution
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yep! Just lemme know :)

RachelTheSeeker

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey there. The script works pretty well. I wasn't able to integrate a message that indicates the stats-drop went into effect, for whatever reason, but both the added damage and DEF drop work nonetheless and displays text for when the character's DEF goes back to normal. Thank you very much. =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Avery's Advent Calendar Day event has put me in a jolly mood, so I dug through my folders finished up some old generator pieces. Check my Fantasy Generator Expansion -Dwarfs! To see what I dropped.
Anyone else here think that closets are claustrophobic?
People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narwhalkyrie