DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
General question: Is there any advantage to using common events over javascript functions?

I don't mean that to be snarky at all, my coding background is in VBA with Microsoft products (which I think is somewhat analagous to RPGMaker and Javascript). By default I try to use built in functionality of software rather than replicating built in functions with code. It ususally breaks less often...

In my RPGMaker project though I have a ton of common events in my project and in retrospect I wish that I had built them as javascript functions. I find the variables super clunky and my mouse finger literally aches from all of the clicking and mouse wheeling, plus I hate scrolling through hundreds of common events, variables and switches to find the one that I am looking for. I guess being better organized in the beginning of my project would have helped with that.

However, with javascript I can do 99% with my keyboard, use intellisense, copy and paste with keyboard, use "find" with keyboard, build functions for commonly repeated tasks, etc and this is big: its easy to reorder and reorganize code. Also huge is I can use a debugger to sort out problems and see what variables are doing.

With events the only things that seem really necessary are parallel events in common events, picture common events and movement routes.

I also get it if people don't like to/know how to code but it seems like if you have familiarity with Javascript you're better off writing functions then events where possible.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use events as much as possible and I could make myself tower defense games with events alone.
Of course with coding you can do a whole lot but eventing can be used by people who don't understand the script.
I use Java script a lot but I also use events for almost everything.

DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe I just need to be better organized... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
For background game mechanics, I definitely use actual coding than a common event for a better organization like you, however, I do not want to write my dialogue and all the cutscene flows in coding. So the event command wins in this part.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my experience the major advantage I can think of is that with eventing you can use the Wait command. Of course, you can build timing logic into your code with iterating variables and for-loops or whatever, but the Wait command in a parallel event is just easier; for me anyway. So I usually consider whether/how Wait will be used before deciding whether to attempt something as a JS function or an event.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The way I see it:
The original engine was created more than a decade ago, back before game creating engines were much of a thing. Making your own game meant coding your own game. A big advantage of RPG Maker was to take the coding out of the process. This is a part of why the engines are advertised as "easy enough for a child". The whole point of eventing is to not have to code.

If you are able to code, then more power to you! There is certainly a lot that can be done with this engine through coding. But for those who do not code, events can go pretty far. I've made an AI board game mechanic all through events. I've seen someone make a first-person-perspective shooter mini game through eventing alone. The previous poster made a tower game. If you think outside the box, a lot can be done with events. But if coding works better for you, then great!

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
Well, I feel the same as you. I do prefer to use my own code on several occasions than have to do a lot of mouse clicks to open event commands, choose variables, etc.

I do use events for simple things. For example, If I have a conditional branch that has more or two conditions to check, I jump to code. Because as you are nesting if on the event page, things get real messy. (That could be solved if rm just let you resize the event pages....)

In fact, I believe there are much more things that you can do faster, efficiently, and organized with javascript than with events.
Rarely exceptions, like the text for example.

But the big advantage I believe is the maintainability, manutention of your game. If you found a bug on your events and it is not a common event, you will have some pain to refactor, replace the error across the game. With code, this is so much easier.

So I see nothing wrong with your approach. I do encourage to keep using it :)

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
My job IS javascript programmer, is what I do all day long, but... when I get home from work I am tired and too lazy to write lines and remember each function or variable or what is the variable "Last record floor" id, or create a fade out effect in red color...

SO, I simply press those magic buttons on the event page, select an option, write a number and it is done.

So, basically I like eventing because I am lazy.

(and I like how the event page looks with colors)

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cootadude :o I've been trying to make a tower defense for something like 3 years now. I've never been able to get the hang of it. Expect a PM from me in the near future.

But anyways, fan...personing? aside, I can sort of code, but eventing is just so much more fun to me. I've made inventory screens, shop menus, and so much more using pure events. Plus I find I'm a lot prouder of myself when I event something than when I just get a script because I kind of beat the odds, I guess. I'm pushing the boundaries of the engine.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem is I only know how to make something like Plants Vs Zombies, I have ideas on how to make other kinds but didn't test them yet.
But there is a great sense of accomplishment when I complete something with only events with no coding or plugins.
@Cootadude :o I've been trying to make a tower defense for something like 3 years now. I've never been able to get the hang of it. Expect a PM from me in the near future.

But anyways, fan...personing? aside, I can sort of code, but eventing is just so much more fun to me. I've made inventory screens, shop menus, and so much more using pure events. Plus I find I'm a lot prouder of myself when I event something than when I just get a script because I kind of beat the odds, I guess. I'm pushing the boundaries of the engine.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dev be like: "I'll make the character goes amnesia so I could explain the world and the lore better and immersive to the players"
Whoever decided that the 5th area of Xenoblade 3 had to be THAT big and be explored in the manner it does needs to be shot. My OCD cannot leave a tiny shard of the map hidden and those controls can go right on and f*** themselves. -.-

/rant off
Raggon wrote on NoPatience's profile.
:kaohi:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cameron122