Adventure Gaiden: The Path of Light

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Trianglon, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Trianglon

Trianglon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Hey guys, I'm not a regular user of the forums (usually i'm only on here for technical help) and I've been working on this RPG for about 9 months and it's ready to be playable. So far, only a few close friends and myself have played it but it's still in a working beta right now. What I really want to do is have some people play it for themselves and tell me what they think about it and I'll know what I should and shouldn't fix so I'm basically looking for some comments and opinions about it.​
     ​
    EDIT September 18, 2014: Version 1.03
    LOTS of bug fixes.​
    Added side quests to get extra costumes.​
    Removed all copyright music and is using only RPG Maker and royalty-free music,​
     ​
     ​
    You can download it here:

Story:

[SIZE=10.5pt]You control Claire, a young vampire girl, who is after a madman named Direk who has taken her parents and plan on taking over the world. Claire is not alone in her quest, though. She is joined by her boyfriend, Alex, who is an elemental soldier, and her friends K'atty, a sorceress, and Emily, a demon of the earth[/SIZE]. They have to travel through various dungeons and take down Direk’s generals and stop his nefarious plans and save Claire’s parents, all while fighting the demons within themselves. Complete various sidequests and unlock rare items and secret party members to help aid in the pursuit of peace!  
    Screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]  [​IMG]
     ​
    I'll update this page with more information at times goes on. Anyone who has any question, comments, or concerns, comment here or PM me and i'll get back to you.​
    Also, in my game, I have some music and one character that I do not own. They will be replaced in the final version. it's mostly just for fun! :)
    Thanks!!​

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    Tobiasu and graithallerne like this.
  2. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    I hope you guys are enjoying it. While I'm awaiting feedback on the game, I'm working on a sequel. If there's any suggestions and anything that should be added/changed/replaced/etc, let me know! I'm open to any constructive criticism.

3. Zevia

Zevia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since no one had commented on it, I decided to download it and give it a try.

From the screenshots, I had the feeling the mapping would need some improvement. The gameplay confirmed it. I'm really the last person to be saying that someone's maps could be better, as it's also the thing I need to improve upon the most, but the maps are extremely bare and lack flow. It's clear where the player is supposed to go because of the "path" tiles that are generally set around the areas, but there are no boundaries. In the opening area, for example, it looks like there's open desert to the south, but you can only go east. There are no features of any kind, just desert sand and cliffs.

The dome is very similar - basic pathing, no features, fringe, or anything extra. The various rooms within the dome are a little better-done, as they have personal touches that are presumably reflective of the inhabitants. One has a metric fuckton of weapons, one has a couple ponds - these are nifty little touches. There's a serious lack of ground clutter or variety, however - the trip through the forest at the beginning is extremely repetitive and can be accomplished by simply holding shift and down for about three or four screens.

On the topic of the dome, it also could use a lot more "construction." Why am I only able to change screens if I walk specifically along the carpet/path tile? There doesn't appear to be a wall or anything to stop me from using any other section of the open-ended space to move to the next area, but I can only cross over on those screens. The dome is extremely repetitive, as well, with multiple rooms that are copies of each other with only signs to give any indication of what might be different in each door. The signs can only be read from one direction, too, which was a little strange - it would make sense if they could only be read from the front, but it was more typical to be from the side.

This repetition, though, didn't really give me too much incentive to want to explore - I just wanted to find the next place I was supposed to go and move on.

The UI is pretty basic, but I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. All the smiling character portraits were a little off-putting, though. I know they're made with the face generator, but sometimes it felt like I was looking at LEGOs or something designed to be significantly cheerier than I'm guessing the mood was supposed to be. The dialogue was about a man's wife being kidnapped, parents going missing, and young adults being savagely beaten - and yet the music is upbeat and bright, and everyone's smiling at each other and saying things like, "Hey sis!" There's a strange clash between the intended story and the actual atmosphere of the game.

The equipment screen had an interesting segment to it - "Change, I'm Lazy, Cancel." I wasn't sure if "I'm Lazy" was supposed to be a joke about "optimum equip," or if "I'm Lazy" was a note you were leaving for yourself to come back and fix later.

Characters are introduced via tell, not show, and even then, the information is a little confusing. The first character you control gets his power from the desert, so he has a slow ability and a quake ability - alright, that fits OK. Then the presumably actual main character is introduced as having control over ice elements, but has no actual abilities or magic whatsoever to support that. The text boxes that pop up when new characters show up talking about them is a bit stale. It's more interesting and fun to discover characters' personality traits and history through interaction and story than it is to have a sort of info card like you were reading a bio from the instruction manual.

Speaking of interaction, I found a lot of the NPCs didn't move and didn't talk - and some of the ones that did move were still mute.

The dialogue seems very "rough draft" and not very reflective of what we would expect from certain characters - some of the choices of the opening conversation between Direk and (Zeeel? I've forgotten the name) range from calm questions to screaming profanity in all caps. Unless he's a little psychotic and prone to sudden outbursts, it seems more like a slightly less mature version of the conversation wheel from Mass Effect.

The battle system is standard RTP, which can still be made pretty fun, but I found that Zeeel's battles were just repetitively casting Quake and Claire's battles were just repetitively using escape. I did fight one 2 slime battle and a couple 2 hornet battles, but the battles were so one-sided that it didn't look like I'd need to level up any time soon, so I just ran from them all. I did notice Claire had a sword called Bloodrayne (offputting) until Direk beat her in one hit, then had no weapon at all. There also was no incentive to stay and fight because I almost had a game over from one of the three battles I did fight - the hornets dodged twice and suddenly I was one hit away from death, with only a single healing item in my inventory. After using it, I was knocked back down to half health in the same turn, so it seemed like I would get a game over if I did anything but run.

I managed to play far enough to get told to go heal myself by talking to Kyle, then the other person in Kyle's room asked me to take a message to "K'atty." However, K'atty's room was empty, and I couldn't find K'atty in any other room in the dome (which I really had no desire to check, but I decided to just to see how the game might progress). I couldn't leave the dome, and the only people who would talk to me didn't offer any story progression, so I got stuck and decided to give it a rest there.

I noticed in your audio folder that you have music from Muse, Lamb of God, and various other bands - copyright issues aside, I was kind of dreading hearing them crop up, feeling like it would really pull me out of the game to suddenly hear someone's music collection for what I can only assume would be boss fights or something.

This seems like a first project for a first-time game developer on any engine, and it plays more like a playtesting environment for someone who's learning how to use the program than an actual game demo. If it is, then you seem to be getting the basics down so far - you've created bare-bones maps for the characters to traverse through, you've created some simple autorun events and dialogue, you've created a few NPCs with a little bit of interaction, and you've made a few pieces of equipment and items. You also have some custom sprites (although the 8-winged behemoth's sprite has an error in the top right section when it's facing right, it has some pixels that shouldn't be showing).

You've got the beginnings of a story, although the dialogue and interaction so far kind of plays like you had an outline and are just working on a rough draft of everything as you go.

If it's just your goal to simply create any kind of game at all, then I think you're on the right track. If your endgame is simply to learn how to use RPG Maker, then you're doing well enough. However, if you'd like to develop this project into a full-fledged game that people will want to play, it's going to require significant building on what you've already created - story, dialogue, mapping especially, battle balance, etc.

You might want to try out some of the free-to-download games that are in the completed projects sections, or perhaps try out some in-development demos other people have posted up here, and figure out which ones feel the most fun or impressive to you. Figure out what you like about them, then come back and look at your project and ask what aspects or themes did you like that you'd want to include in your game. The staff tutorials and blogs about game-making will probably also have a wealth of information that can help you improve all aspects of your project.

You've taken some early steps and I like some of the ideas the project promises. Good luck with your game development!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  4. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    I really appreciate you taking a look at my game. I don't know why you got stuck. I playtested it over a hundred times and K'atty should be in her room. She needs to join the party in order for the plot to progress and I don't know why she isn't appearing for you. I'll try to fix it ASAP.

5. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    Can anyone else offer em some feedback?

I would really appreciate some other thoughts on my game!

Thank you!

6. Ichimaru Gin

Ichimaru Gin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I will offer some in depth feedback after I replay it, but tbh your game was a 2/10 for me. 

As soon as I replay it I will edit this with some feedback.

7. SyncG4x

SyncG4x SyncingGames4all (SyncG4x) Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, for starters the mapping is kinda noobie on the screenshots and the game made it perfectly clear. The music in the game is bright & uppy, when it should be grim and dull. The story is really hard to follow with the faces emotions and all. What they say doesn't match with what their emotions are. The story is pretty basic, but in this situation its a good thing. You have a lot of work to do. 

8. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much for your feedback! i greatly appreciate it!

Obviously, this game is still in it's very early stages. I know it's nowhere close to being complete.

Since I'm practically making this by myself, I just really wanted to hear some feedback on it.

I took your comments to heart and am working on the game as we speak. 

I should have a updated version on here within a few days!

9. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    Thanks again for the comments about the game.

I've heard all of your comments and concerns and have went through and fixed a lot of stuff and added more things to do.

I still have a few things to fix but I want to hear some feedback on the new version.

Thanks a lot, guys. :)

(Also, responding to what a lot of comments said: yes, I am very new at this. I bought the program on Christmas Eve 2012 and went straight in and made this game. I been wanting to make this game ever since I first heard of RPG Maker so designs might look "kinda noobie" but, like the name of this forum implies, this is "Early Project Feedback" and that's exactly what I'm looking for.)

10. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I suggest looking at other games in terms of quality especially in the mapping area. If you need help, pm me and I can make you some concept maps if youd like.

11. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    Have you played it yet?

The map quality is improving but this game is still a work in progress but it's finished to the point where you can experience the full story and enjoy it.

12. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    I am almost done working on the sequel to this game (the early playable stages, anyways :p ) and I will be posting it soon.

Don't worry, I am still working on this game. Until I hear some more recent and critical feedback for this game, I'll be working on the sequel.

I do have a big update for this game coming soon though so stay tuned!

Thanks for the continuing support!

:)

13. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys! Sorry I've been gone for so long but I've been working on my games and I have a big update now!
    I even have a special version for you guys where the characters start out with higher levels. 

I REALLY want some story/gameplay feedback!

Thank you! :)

14. bentleym33

bentleym33 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For some reason the Link to the demo isn't working for me.

15. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    My bad! The link should work fine now! 

16. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys, I've been doing quite a bit of work on this game and am having a few friends helping me work on it as well.

I REALLY need people to play the game and give me some output!

Thank you!

17. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Mapping:

All the responses you’ve had to date have spoken about the maps, and the need for them to have significant revision.  Yet as far as I can see, nothing has been done to them.  When feedback is consistent, then people expect to see it acted on, otherwise there is no point in giving it.  If you do not intend to amend your maps, then you should say so, that way people know where they stand.  I won’t discuss the maps in any detail except to say that they look poor, they are not very functional and do not encourage the player to continue.  If you want people to play your game then this is a major issue for you.

With the zombies I’m dishing out 1000+ with vanilla attack and only getting 15 damage from them.

In the battle against the vampire imprisoning the girl, the skill Vampire misses more often than it hits.

We switch to Claire, and the only item of any visual interest on the map is a white blob near where she starts.  This screams “pay attention to me” as there is literally nothing else added to the map of grass and path, and yet it appears to be nothing.  Why is it there?  On the west map there seems to be snow outside, with little blobs coming inside.  However, on the central map there is no surrounding snow.

The transfer events west and east have the ‘Move’ SE, the transfer north does not.  Bright red sheep??

The description of Zeeel on the noticeboard to the north runs off the edge of the text box.

The problem of the Vampire skill missing is starting to get acute.  I was one blow off game over because I cannot heal up.  Because the text goes so fast I cannot quite work out what it is saying, but there seems to be something weird about the wording when it does succeed.  As if the order of things has got mixed up.  Something like :

Drained Spider C from (number) HP

For your interior maps – take the size of the sleeping mat or bed as 6ft by 3ft equivalent.  Have a look at your own room.  Is it 60 feet by 90 feet in size?  Is most of it bare, empty?  Do you keep barrels in one corner just to fill in a bit of the space?  Make them a quarter of the size and many of your problems would be well on the way to being solved.  You do not have to fill the whole screen.  Having a small map in the middle of the screen is perfectly acceptable.

I see that the notices can still only be read from the side.  This was mentioned before, and illustrates what I was saying about acting on feedback.  If you don’t do it, why should people take the time to give you any?

The transfer event into Owen’s room does not appear to work.  If I am not supposed to go in there, then a text box popping up telling me that is needed.  Otherwise the player just thinks you’ve forgotten to do it.

I go into Claire’s room, and people are calling me “Master”. Huh?  I can walk all over the grey and blue cupboards top right.  I see that my room and Alex’s are the only ones which interconnect.  Even Alex’s mother and father don’t have a connection.  Unless they are calling Alex Master? In which case, what are they doing in my room?  Why have I got all the cash?

The first room after that corridor, the walls on the right start at one tile high, then go 2 tiles high and then vanish altogether where I go onto the next room.  This need sorting out urgently. 

I go to Fluffy’s room, he asks me what’s up, I tell him and get the NOOOOOOOOOOOO response.  He then walks away and if I interact with him exactly the same thing happens.  If someone tells you your parents are missing, I would assume that you would remember this and that in all probability there would be some sort of conversation about it.  Why does he get the fancy bed when everyone else gets either a tatty bed or even just a sleeping mat.  Alex may be the Master and he just has a sleeping mat.  Things are not consistent.

I go into Kalki’s room – ah, he’s got the posh bed as well.  Why does he keep his sword on an anvil by his bed?  And, btw, I can walk over it.

I go into Joshua/Jamie’s room and one of them (no idea which) asks me how things are, straightway asks me if I’ve read any good books lately, and there is no answer to either question.  This is getting to be surreal.  Ah, I now know that I’d spoken to Joshua, as Jamie is addressed by name.  The lack of anyone’s name on dialogue boxes is getting to be a nuisance.  I now can’t remember who’s who out of those I’ve spoken to.  Jamie is Claire’s sister. She asks him how things are, and he more or less says everything’s fine.  But their parents have gone missing, so why is he so laid back about it?  Or maybe I’m getting the story confused, which wouldn’t surprise me, as the exposition is not tremendously clear.

We discover that Aunt Zelia has gone missing too.  Yet no connection is drawn between that and the missing parents.  Even the most amateur of detectives would wonder if the two things were related.

Do you really want someone called Dimentia in your game?  Only one letter different from Dementia, and I’m not sure that people would find that funny.  The Pet Room has an old fashioned external well graphic, which just doesn’t fit in your hi-tech environment.

Dragon Tamer seems incredibly laid back about things.  He warns about the dangers and then just more or less tells her to get on with it.

I have now walked the full circuit of the Dome and cannot exit, so I assume that’s as far as the demo goes.

Overall Assessment

There is nothing in my notes which has not been touched on my previous posts – the mapping above all.  Yet as far as I can see you have not acted on those comments, so I’m somewhat at a loss to understand why you were enthusiastically asking for fresh feedback.

So far there is nothing to really engage the players.  Characterisation is haphazard, presentation of story is not dynamic, personalities have not started to be revealed.  So neither visually, nor plot wise, is this a demo which will draw the player in.  There is no game play feature except walk round, walk into rooms, talk to people for little information other than the bit of info on elements etc and the offer of a battle tutorial.  And all that has taken just over 30 minutes.

18. Trianglon

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for giving me some feedback! I really appreciate it! :)

As for the mapping issue, I HAVE been listening to the other comments that mentioned it. As this was my very first game, it is a bit bare but I've been working on on it. The next update will have more improved mapping.

I mostly just want more feedback on the game and story itself.

What exactly do you mean by "The first room after that corridor, the walls on the right start at one tile high, then go 2 tiles high and then vanish altogether where I go onto the next room.  This need sorting out urgently"

I want to fix that but I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Also, this isn't just a demo. This is a finished prototype.

It sounds like Alex is in your team so you fought Direk and lost already as Claire. From that point, you need to talk to K'yle to get healed, just like Dragon Tamer says. From there, you can get your next party member and then you can leave the dome and continue on.

19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As I delete demos when I've played through them, I now don't have it to do a screenshot, but the bit about the walls

Look at the map I'm referring to, find the wall and ceiling.  Count the number of wall tiles that you use.  That number should be consistent, because if the ceiling is the same height off the ground, the walls must be the same height.  However, in places you have used one tile, then it becomes 2 tiles, implying that the room just got higher, and then it's just the ceiling tile, implying that the room has decreased in size so much, not even a cat can get through.

You say that I should have talked to K'yle.  I'm pretty sure I talked to everyone I saw.  If you need to do something so fundamental to progress the game, then it needs to be reasonably obvious to the player.  Waiting until I've plodded round to Dragon Tamer and spoken to him before I can know what to do is not very intuitive game play.  Is it really the case that Claire and Alex need to be told this?  Wouldn't one of them say, "Look, we'd better get to K'yle and get healed up" or something like that?  Why don't they already know something so basic about their world which can then be communicated directly to the player?  It's the same lack of realism as those instances I mentioned where the people I speak to just don't talk and respond naturally.